India vs Australia, 4th Test Highlights: Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli Shine As India Reach 289/3 At Stumps vs Australia
IND vs AUS Highlights: Virat Kohli scored his 26th half-century as India look to end Day 3 of the fourth Test against Australia in a commanding position
IND vs AUS, 4th Test, Day 3 Highlights: Shubman Gill dazzled with a century, while Virat Kohli hit an unbeaten fifty as India managed to reach 289/3 against Australia at stumps on Day 3 of the fourth Test in Ahmedabad. Gill struck his second Test hundred (128) with support from Cheteshwar Pujara (42) and Rohit Sharma (35). Kohli (59 batting) scored a half century and was in the middle alongside Ravindra Jadeja (16 batting) when the stumps were drawn. Australia had made 480 in their first innings. Gill took 194 deliveries to reach triple figures, before Cheteshwar Pujara was dismissed in the penultimate over before tea. Virat Kohli joined Gill in the middle, and has looked in excellent touch. Earlier, Matthew Kuhnemann had haulted India's flying start as he dismissed India captain Rohit Sharma on 34 in the morning session on Day 3. On Friday, India made sure that they end Day 2 without losing a wicket after skittling out Australia for 480 in the first innings of the game. India were 36 for 0 at stumps, trailing Australia by 446 runs, with Gill and Rohit batting unbeaten on 18 and 17, respectively. (SCORECARD)
India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Srikar Bharat(w), Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav
Australia (Playing XI): Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steven Smith(c), Peter Handscomb, Cameron Green, Alex Carey(w), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Todd Murphy, Matthew Kuhnemann
Here are the Highlights of Day 3 of the 4th Test match between India and Australia, straight from Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad:
- 17:08 (IST)IND vs AUS: End of Day 3!India score 101 for 1 in the final session from 36 overs and end the day at 289/3. Just 89 overs of play on Day 3. Australia lead by 191 runs. First half-century for Kohli in 14 months, obviously in Test cricket.
- 16:50 (IST)IND vs AUS: Jaddu takes the aerial route!Jaddu breaks the shackles! Charges down the ground and clears the deep midwicket boundary. I'm not sure if this is great captaincy. Jadeja will always target the left-arm spinnerIND: 280/3 (95.3)
- 16:37 (IST)IND vs AUS: Fifty for Kohli!Virat Kohli registers his 29th half-century in Test cricket. Amazing milestone for an amazing player. Can he convert this into a hundred? Only time will tell. Plenty of time to achieve that.IND: 268/3 (92.4)
- 16:21 (IST)IND vs AUS: Milestone for Kohli!Virat Kohli is now the fastest Indian to score 4,000 Test runs at home.
- 16:13 (IST)IND vs AUS: That's gone fine!Too straight from Lyon and it was spinning down leg, he's back to glance it fine with ease and it runs away. Kohli made room and just swivled that fine towards third for a boundary.IND: 258/3 (87)
- 16:04 (IST)IND vs AUS: 15 overs left!India trail by 226 with 7 seven wickets in hand. Need another partnership in order to have any hopes of reaching close to Australia's target. Kohli has looked solid so far and Jadeja is taking his time as well. Looks like, this game is heading towards a draw. But, 2 more days of cricket is still to be playedIND: 254/3 (85)
- 15:40 (IST)IND vs AUS: End of Gill's innings!That is the end of Shubman Gill's stay at the crease as the opener is finally dismissed for 128. Nathan Lyon was able to turn the ball from outside the off stump and Gill was foxed by the extra movement. The ball crashed into his pads and the review showed that it was crashing into the leg stump. India 245/3
- 15:36 (IST)IND vs AUS: Time to accelerate!22 overs to go in the day's play and considering that India have eight wickets in hand, Shubman Gill and Virat Kohli may look to accelerate the scoring rate. It has been a good day for the hosts with Gill leading the charge with a gritty ton. A good show in the last 20 overs will surely put India in a commanding position going into Day 4. India are 244 for the loss of 2 wickets.
- 15:30 (IST)IND vs AUS: No respite for Starc!Mitchell Starc has been struggling to maintain his line and length in the match till now and Virat Kohli guided a short-pitched delivery comfortably to the thirdman boundary. It has been a tough day for the Aussie pacer. India 242/2 after 76.5 overs.
- 15:27 (IST)IND vs LIVE: Kohli joins the party!A loose delivery from Todd Murphy and a welcome boundary for Virat Kohli. He drove the delivery comfortably through point and India are now 238 for the loss of 2 wickets.
- 15:09 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Four Runs!Glorious! Virat Kohli with a trademark drive. Plays this with full face of the bat, just outside off stump and he gets forward to play a beautiful drive, leaning forward, full face of the bat.IND: 218/2 (72.4)
- 15:00 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Four Runs!Gill manages to find the gap. He charged down the ground and placed it between midwicket and and a square-ish midwicketIND: 210/2 (70.3)
- 14:40 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: KOHLI OFF THE MARK!Virat Kohli is off the mark on the 11th time of asking. Huge roar from the crowd. Crowd loves him, no matter which part of the world you are in.IND: 191/2 (64.6)
- 14:35 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Play Resumes!India's innings run-rate dropped from 3.48 to 2.98. Let's see how do they fare in the final session. Gill and Kohli are back in the middle after a short tea break
- 14:16 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Kohli Survives!Falls just short of first slip! And that will be the last ball of the session. Kohli breathes a sigh of reliefIND: 187/2 (62.6)
- 14:14 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: OUT!Given lbw! Pujara reviews but the decision staysCheteshwar Pujara lbw b Murphy 42 (121)IND: 187/2 (61.6)
- 14:06 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: 100 For Gill!A second Test century for Shubman Gill. Gill bows to the crowd. Virat Kohli looks as delighted as him.IND: 186/1 (61.1)
- 14:00 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Four Runs!Gill moves to 96! Charges down the ground and hammers it straight down the ground over Nathan Lyon's head.IND: 181/1 (60.2)
- 13:46 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Bang, Bang!Glorious cover drive! Half volley outside off, he eases it with power wide of mid off. Back-to-back boundaries for Gill and India. He moves to 88.IND: 167/1 (56.3)
- 13:45 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Four Runs!Boundary drought broken with a punch through cover-point! Gill gets India's first boundary in 96 deliveries. Moves to 84 with that.IND: 163/1 (56.2)
- 13:40 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Gill Nears Ton!Gill moves to 80. He uses the bottom hand to work it from outside off to long on. Just 20 runs away from another Test ton. Has put a price on his wicket today.
- 13:19 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Drinks Break!One hour of play in the second session is done and dusted. Just 23 runs scored in the 14 overs we witnessed. Pujara (12) has overpowered Gill (11) after lunch.IND: 152/1 (52)
- 13:08 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: 150 Up For India!That will bring up the 150 for India. This has been a dull session so far.IND: 150/1 (49.1)
- 12:45 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Hot Day In Ahmedabad!It's 33 degree celcius in Ahmedabad today. Sun is out but the sky is partly cloudy. Thankfully, no chance of rain today or in the days to comeIND: 144/1 (45)
- 12:36 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Solid from Gill, Pujara!Gill has played beautifully. Has taken his time and punished the loose delivery. Pujara too has looked confident. Australia are starting to get frustrated. Good signs for IndiaIND: 143/1 (43)
- 12:19 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: The Grind Continues!Players are back in the middle after completing their lunch. Lyon is into the attack and Gill will face the first ball of the session
- 11:33 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Lunch Break!The players head back to the dressing room for lunch. This has been a good session of Test cricket. From Shubman Gill's fifty to Rohit's soft dismissal, plenty of talking points from the morning session.India will be the happier of the two sides!IND: 129/1 (37) trail Australia (480) by 351 runs
- 11:32 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Four Byes!The ball misses Gill's bat, stumps and Alex Carey! Four byes for India. That was a beautiful delivery from Murphy.
- 11:06 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Four Runs!Glorious shot! Punched off the backfoot thorugh midwicket. Gill is oozing with confidence. Need a big knock from him todayIND: 106/1 (30.5)
- 10:58 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: 50 For Gill!Gill reaches his 50 in 90 balls with the help of a glorious drive. He cover drives on the up with incredible timing. Superb strokeIND: 98/1 (28.2)
- 10:44 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Gill Solid!Both Pujara and Gill taking their time. Gill has taken his foot off the gas after Rohit's dismissal. Batted well so far. Needs to carry on like this
- 10:33 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Drinks Break!Drinks time! Will be important today with max temperatures of 37 degree celsius expected
- 10:28 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Not Out!Once again, a long chat from Smith with his teammates. He decides not to take the review. Good decision
- 10:18 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: OUT!Rohit hits it straight to extra cover! He plays a punchy shot off the back foot, and this has gone straight to Marnus.Rohit Sharma c Labuschagne b Kuhnemann 35 (58)IND: 74/1 (20.6)
- 10:05 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Australia Lose DRS!Phew!!! Gill got forward to defend, but the ball has hit his pad before hitting his bat. LBW appeal was turned down and he survives due to the 3m rule.
- 09:54 (IST)IND vs AUS: Pulled Away!Rohit finally gets the connection on the third time of asking. He clears the boundary. He picks the short ball beautifully, smacking a pull over deep backward square leg. Another expensive over. Rohit completes 17,000 international runsIND: 64/0 (14.6)
- 09:52 (IST)IND vs AUS: Tickled down the leg!Short and wide on waist length! Starc misses his length. Rohit goes for the pull but only manages and to get some connection to drag it down to thirdIND: 48/0 (14.4)
- 09:44 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Boundary!Gill misses the pull, but that flies past a diving Carey's left. Another boundary in this over. Good start this for IndiaIND: 49/0 (12.4)
- 09:42 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Four Runs!Crunched by Gill! He spotted that rather quickly. Confidently driven through cover after taking a stride forward.IND: 43/0 (12.2)
- 09:31 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: We Are Underway!On the pads, and Rohit flicks it down to third for a single. He moves to 18 with that single. Very important session for both the teams.