2018 FIFA World Cup News
- Yearender 2018: World Cup, Managerial Failure, Death, Retirement - A Year Which Recorded It All
NDTV brings to you a compilation of the major happenings from the world of football in 2018.
- VAR To Be Used In Champions League From Next Season And At Euro 2020
UEFA's move follows the use of VAR at the FIFA World Cup in Russia, when it was deemed largely to be a success.
- France Top New-Style FIFA Rankings, Germany Slump To 15th
FIFA said its new formula relied on adding or subtracting points, depending on the results of matches, rather than averaging points over a given period of time.
- Neymar Blames "Brattish" Behaviour On His Inner Child
Neymar was widely lambasted during the FIFA World Cup 2018 in Russia for his theatrical reactions to challenges.
- Qatar's World Cup Bid Used 'Black Operations': UK Report
Qatar beat the Australian and US bids as well as South Korea and Japan to the right to host the quadrennial football showpiece.
- France's Benjamin Pavard Wins World Cup Goal Of The Tournament
France right-back Benjamin Pavard has won the 2018 World Cup goal of the tournament award for his stunning strike against Argentina.
- Mesut Ozil Citing 'Racism', Quits Germany After World Cup Debacle
Ozil, who has Turkish roots, had earlier defended his decision to pose for a photograph with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in May which sparked questions about his loyalty to Germany's squad ahead of the World Cup in Russia.
- Mesut Ozil Defends Controversial Picture With Turkish President Recep Erdogan
Breaking his silence over the snapshot that caused outrage during the tournament, Mesut Ozil in a statement on Twitter said that he was loyal to both his Turkish and German origins.
- "I Couldn't Look At A Football" After World Cup 2018: Neymar
Neymar seemed in a relaxed mood as he explained his post-World Cup blues.
- World Cup 2018: Kylian Mbappe's Goal In Final Generated Most Tweets During World Cup
When football's rising star Kylian Mbappe scored France's fourth goal in their World Cup final against Croatia to become the youngest player since Pele to score in a final, fans sent more tweets than at any other point during the tournament.
- World Cup 2018: Iceland's World Cup Coach Heimir Hallgrimsson Steps Down
Iceland coach Heimir Hallgrimsson stepped down on Tuesday, a few weeks after leading the tiny nation at its first World Cup.
- World Cup 2018: Flooding Damages World Cup Stadium In Russia's Volgograd
The construction company said that "the banks will be restored shortly and the premises inside the stadium will be repaired."
- Record Scorer Tim Cahill Retires From Australia Duty
Tim Cahill scored 50 international goals in 107 appearances.
- World Cup 2018: France Gives World Cup Winners A Heroes' Welcome Home
The FIFA World Cup 2018-winning French team returned home to a heroes' welcome on Monday, parading down the Champs-Elysees as hundreds of thousands of cheering fans gave a raucous welcome to the country's newest idols
- Crowds Pack Champs Elysees As French World Cup Winners Return Home
France's World Cup-winning heroes arrived to a raucous welcome at Charles De Gaulle airport northeast of Paris.
- Croatians Give Heroes' Welcome To World Cup Squad
A crowd estimated at more than 100,000 thronged the capital's main square.
- France's Mbappe Made Around $500,000 At World Cup. It's All Reportedly Going To Charity
According to L'Equipe, Mbappe will be donating all his earnings to a charity that provides sports activities to hospitalized and disabled children.
- French World Cup Victors To Get Legion Of Honour
No date has yet been set for the ceremony to hand over France's highest award.