India Squad ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 Highlights: Dinesh Karthik Included, Rishabh Pant Misses Out
India World Squad 2019 Highlights: Chief selector MSK Prasad announced the 15-man squad for the World Cup 2019 in Mumbai on Monday.
Dinesh Karthik stumped young wicket-keeper Rishabh Pant to make a surprise entry in India's 15-member squad for the World Cup 2019, announced by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in Mumbai on Monday. On paper, it seems India decided to stick to the One-Day International squad they fielded over the recent few months -- in the ODI series against Australia and New Zealand -- except for a surprise inclusion and two exclusions. Along with Rishabh Pant, Ambati Rayudu is set to miss the flight to the UK after having failed to impress much with the willow. As expected, Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli were picked for the top three spots. KL Rahul was included as the back-up opener. Talking about KL Rahul, chief selector MSK Prasad said: "We also have a role for KL Rahul in the top order, he is the reserve opener." Tamil Nadu all-rounder Vijay Shankar made it for his "three-dimensional" qualities. Ambati Rayudu, who has been India's No.4 since last year's Asia Cup, had an indifferent Australia series and has not set the IPL on fire either. Rayudu's highest score in the Australia series was 18. Even against New Zealand in January, he only managed one 50-plus score.
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 Team India Squad Announcement Highlights:
- 15:56 (IST)Apr 15, 2019Thank you for joining us for the live coverage of the India's World Cup 2019 squad announcement. Read the complete details about India's 15-member squad here.
- 15:18 (IST)Apr 15, 2019India's 15-man squad: Virat Kohli (C), Rohit Sharma (VC), Shikhar Dhawan, Vijay Shankar, KL Rahul, MS Dhoni, Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammed Shami
India's squad for the ICC #CWC19 announced: Virat Kohli (Capt), Rohit Sharma (vc), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Vijay Shankar, MSD (wk), Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohd Shami— BCCI (@BCCI) April 15, 2019
- 14:58 (IST)Apr 15, 2019Later in the day, Virat Kohli will be seen in action as Royal Challengers Bangalore take on Mumbai Indians at Wankhede Stadium in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL). Even though the match will start at 7:30 pm (IST), the RCB skipper will look to wrap up the selection business well on time.
- 14:41 (IST)Apr 15, 2019New Zealand World Cup Squad: Kane Williamson (C), Tom Blundell, Trent Boult, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Colin Munro, Jimmy Neesham, Henry Nicholls, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor
- 14:37 (IST)Apr 15, 2019New Zealand were the first team to announce their squad for the World Cup 2019. On April 3,New Zealand opted for experience in a 15-man squad with rookie Tom Blundell's inclusion as back-up wicketkeeper the only real surprise.
- 14:31 (IST)Apr 15, 2019
- 14:20 (IST)Apr 15, 2019According to cricket commentator Harsha Bhogle, the announced squads will be "provisional selections" and can be change till May 23.
Just remember that the teams being announced for the World Cup are provisional selections and can be changed till May 23rd without ICC permission.— Harsha Bhogle (@bhogleharsha) April 15, 2019
- 14:04 (IST)Apr 15, 2019The final date to announce the squads is April 23 but every team has been given an extended period until May 23 by the International Cricket Council (ICC) to make changes in their side to cover for events like injuries to players. Here is World Cup team announcements complete timeline.
- 13:56 (IST)Apr 15, 2019India fast bowler Irfan Pathan also joined in as he shared his World Cup XI on Twitter.Irfan Pathan World Cup XI: Virat Kohli (C), Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Vijay Shankar, MS Dhoni, Kedar Jadhav, Hardik Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, KL Rahul, Ambati Rayudu, Ravindra Jadeja
1) Cap Virat 2) Rohit 3) Shikhar 4) vijay 5) Dhoni 6) Kedar 7) Hardik 8) Kuldeep 9) Chahal 10) Shami 11) Bumrah 12) Bhuvi 13) Rahul 14) Rayudu 15) Jadeja— Irfan Pathan (@IrfanPathan) April 15, 2019
My World Cup team...
- 13:48 (IST)Apr 15, 2019Former India batsman Sanjay Manjrekar tweeted his World Cup XI on Monday.Sanjay Manjrekar World Cup XI: Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Ambati Rayudu, Kedar Jadhav, Hardik Pandya, MS Dhoni, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Yuzvendra Chahal, Jasprit Bumrah, Ravindra Jadeja, KL Rahul, Rishabh Pant, Bhuvneshwar Kumar
My Indian WC XI.— Sanjay Manjrekar (@sanjaymanjrekar) April 15, 2019
Note: Changed my mind on Shankar.
- 13:32 (IST)Apr 15, 2019Australia World Cup squad: Aaron Finch (captain), Usman Khawaja, David Warner, Steve Smith, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Jhye Richardson, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa
- 13:27 (IST)Apr 15, 2019Earlier in the day, Australia announced their 15-man squad for the World Cup 2019. Former captain and his deputy -- Steve Smith and David Warner -- returned to the national team, though fast bowler Josh Hazlewood and in-form batsman Peter Handscomb were both overlooked.