IND vs ENG, 1st Test, Day 5 Highlights: India, England Forced To Settle For Draw With Day 5 Washed Out
India vs England, 1st Test, Day 5 Highlights: The first Test between England and India was drawn after rain washed out the whole of fifth day at Trent Bridge.
The first Test between England and India at Trent Bridge was drawn after no play was possible on the final day due to rain. Moments after Tea was taken at Trent Bridge, after rain washed out the first two sessions, the officials decided to call off play altogether. Both India and England would think about what would have been the result had weather been kinder to them as both teams had a chance to take a 1-0 lead in the five-match series. After a long delay due to rain on Day 5, it had stopped raining at Trent Bridge for a short while and an inspection was scheduled for 7 pm IST. But all hopes of any cricket anytime soon vanished into thin air as the drizzle got heavier. India finished 52-1 in their second innings, needing a further 157 runs to reach a victory target of 209 in what had promised to be tough batting conditions. Rohit Sharma and Cheteshwar Pujara were both 12 not out. But persistent early morning rain prevented play resuming as scheduled at 11:00 am local time (3:30 pm IST), with the pitch and square both remaining fully covered. Following an inspection, the umpires decided to bring forward the lunch interval by 30 minutes to 12:30 pm (5 pm IST) in the hope the weather may relent sufficiently to allow a prompt start to the afternoon session. (SCORECARD)
1st Test, Day 5, Highlights, India (IND) vs England (ENG) From Trent Bridge, Nottingham
- 20:39 (IST)Good Test Match But Ends In A Draw!Rain has forced to call off the play on Day 5 and as a result, the first Test match between England and India has ended in a draw. There were good four days of Test cricket even after the rain interruptions. India needed 157 runs on the final day to win the first Test match but rain played a spoilsport on Day 5. We saw few terrific performances from both sides whether it's Jasprit Bumrah's 9-wicket haul in the match or Joe Root's brilliant century under pressure or KL Rahul's remarkable comeback in Test cricket.The 5-match Test series now stands level at 0-0 and the two sides will now face off at the cricket's most iconic venue at Lord's, London in the second Test match.That's all from England vs India first Test match blog. Do join us for the second Test match that will be played between August 12 to 16 at Lords, London
- 20:27 (IST)Match Drawn!Here's an official update: The play has been called off for the day and as a result the first Test match between England and India has ended in a draw.ENG 183 and 303IND 278 and 52/1Match Drawn
UPDATE: Play has been abandoned.— BCCI (@BCCI) August 8, 2021
The first #ENGvIND Test at Trent Bridge ends in a draw.
We will see you at Lord's for the second Test, starting on August 12. #TeamIndia
Scorecard https://t.co/TrX6JMzP9A pic.twitter.com/k9G7t1WiaB
- 16:45 (IST)Lunch Break At 5:00 PM IST!
No major change still. There will be a lunch break at 12:30PM local time (5:00PM IST).— BCCI (@BCCI) August 8, 2021
- 15:31 (IST)Bumrah On The Honours Board At Trent Bridge!Jasprit Bumrah got his name inscribed on the Honours Board for the second time at Trent Bridge after taking five wickets in the second innings against England on Day 4. First Time was back in 2018.
After a fantastic -wicket haul on Day 4 of the first #ENGvIND Test, @Jaspritbumrah93 has his name inscribed on the Honours Board for the 2nd time at Trent Bridge. #TeamIndia pic.twitter.com/znKWnwOCUz— BCCI (@BCCI) August 8, 2021
- 15:12 (IST)Hello And Welcome!Hello and Welcome to Day 5 of the first Test match between England and India that is being played at Trent Bridge, Nottingham. India need more 157 runs to win the first Test match with 9 nine wickets remaining. Indian openers gave a steady start in the chase of 209 runs, later Stuart Broad dismissed well set KL Rahul and brought a hope for England in this match. If the hosts get few more wickets on early on Day 5 then it would be difficult for the Indian to bounce back in the chase. However, weather forecast for the day doesn't look to good and we might see lots of stoppages throughout the day. There will be a delay in start of play on Day 5 due to rain.India 52/1, need 157 runs to win