Story ProgressBack to home
India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 2 Highlights: Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja Star As India Take Huge Lead vs Australia On Day 2
IND vs AUS, 1st Test Match Day 2 Highlights: Rohit Sharma's 120 and 66 and 52 from Ravindra Jadeja and Axar Patel, respectively, helped India continue their dominance on the second day as well.
India vs Australia Highlights, 1st Test: Axar Patel and Ravindra Jadeja remained unbeaten on Day 2.© BCCI
India vs Australia, 1st Test Day 2 Highlights: Rohit Sharma's 120 and 66 and 52 from Ravindra Jadeja and Axar Patel, respectively, helped India continue their dominance on the second day as well. India were 321 for 7 at stumps on Friday with a lead of 144 runs over the guests. Australia did a decent job with the ball with wickets at regular intervals but knocks of Rohit, Jadeja and Axar kept India in the driver's seat throughout the day. Todd Murphy returned a five-wicket haul, but lacked support from other bowlers. On Thursday, Australia skipper Pat Cummins had won the toss and opted to bat first. Jadja's five-wicket haul had helped India bundle out the guests for 177. (SCORECARD)
Here are the Highlights of Day 2 of the 1st Test Match between India and Australia straight from Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium in Nagpur
1st Test, Border-Gavaskar Trophy, 2023, Feb 09, 2023
Day 3 | Match Ended
Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Nagpur
India beat Australia by an innings and 132 runs
Get alerts for live updates
Turn on notifications to receive alerts as stories develop in real-time. You can manage alerts in your app's settings.
- 17:02 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Stumps on Day 2!That's the stumps on Day 2. What a day it has been for India! They lost six wickets but have still managed to take a 144-run lead over the guests. It won't be easy for Australia from here on for sure! And mind it, two set batters -- Ravindra Jadeja and Axar Patel -- are still there at the crease.
- 16:48 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Fifty for Axar Patel!A single and Axar Patel races to his second Test fifty. After proving his mettle with the bat in the white-ball cricket, Axar is just showing how good he is with his technique also in the red-ball game. The middle-order failed to rise up to the occasion but the Indian tail is literally frustrating Australia.IND 314/7 (110.4)
- 16:46 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Play resumes!The play has resumed...
- 16:45 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Small stoppage in play!Axar Patel is having some issue on his hand. The physio is treating him at the moment and thus we have a short stoppage in play.IND 312/7 (110)
- 16:21 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!A four from the willow of Axar Patel. It was a short ball from Pat Cummins and Axar guided it towards the third man fence for a four. He might not have intended to play it so fine as it eventually went, but the resulting four will definitely hurt Australia.IND 296/7 (103.5)
- 16:12 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!A fuller ball from Pat Cummins and Axar Patel drives it for a four straight down the ground. The partnership between Axar and Cummins for the eighth wicket is now of 52 now. This is a really worrying sign for Australia, who had made a good comeback earlier.IND 292/7 (101.3)
- 16:04 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!A short ball from Nathan Lyon on the off side and Axar Patel hits it square of the wicket for a four. The fielder in deep gave a jump but it went in vain as the ball comfortably won the race.IND 286/7 (99.1)
- 15:56 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!Ravindra Jadeja uses the depth of his crease brilliantly to hit a four on the off side. David Warner tried his best to stop it but the ball eventually won the race. The partnership between Jadeja and Axar Patel is of 37 runs now.IND 277/7 (98)
- 15:51 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!A half-volley from Todd Murphy and Axar Patel drives the ball from his left side for a four. This is the second four from Axar in his ongoing innings.IND 271/7 (96.5)
- 15:41 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!Axar Patel grows in confidence. It was a fuller delivery outside off stump from Scott Boland and Axar drove it through the extra cover region for a four. He is now unbeaten on 11 runs. India lead Australia by 88 runs.IND 261/7 (94.5)
- 15:32 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Fifty for Ravindra Jadeja!A single and it's the 18th Test fifty for Ravindra Jadeja. He started this game with a five-wicket haul and now scores a fifty to prove his mettle as an all-rounder. What a comeback to international cricket this has been for Jadeja so far!IND 257/7 (92.4)
- 15:24 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Catch falls short!Axar Patel got outside edge on a delivery of Scott Boland but to his good luck the ball fell in front of second slip where Steve Smith was stationed. The Australian bowlers have done a decent job with the second new ball but they still need three wickets to bundled India out.IND 251/7 (90.3)
- 15:01 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Lucky Jadeja!Ravindra Jadeja is lucky once again in his ongoing innings. A Pat Cummins delivery hit him on the front pad but umpire turned down the appeal of the Australian players. Cummins went for a review and ball tracking showed that it would have definitely hit the stumps, however, the impact was on umpire's call and that saw Jadeja survive.IND 246/7 (84.2)
- 14:57 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!Ravindra Jadeja continues to do his work. A fuller delivery from Pat Cummins outside off stump and the Indian southpaw drove it for a four from the left of the mid-off fielder.IND 246/7 (84.1)
- 14:54 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: WICKET!Another one goes down for India! Todd Murphy gets the wicket of KS Bharat and it's a five-wicket haul for him on his debut match. Umpire was unconvinced with the LBW appeal of the Australian players, but Pat Cummins decided to go upstairs. As it turned out, the ball was found to be hitting the stumps.IND 240/7 (83.1)
- 14:46 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!Wow! Look at that shot from KS Bharat. Australia were trying to cramp him for room but the batter went for a slog sweep on the bowling of Todd Murphy to fetch a boundary. This will boost his confidence. Not a bad start for Bharat!IND 236/6 (81.5)
- 14:38 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: WICKET!Rohit Sharma is gone! It was a peach of a delivery from Pat Cummins that helped Australia get rid of the Indian skipper. It was bowled around middle stump on a good length from Cummins, the ball swung outside after pitching and hit the off stump of Rohit, who departs for a score of 120.IND 229/6 (80.4)
- 14:34 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: 3rd session underway!Rohit Sharma is on the strike, Ravindra Jadeja is at the other end. Pat Cummins will bowl the first over of the final session. Here we go!
- 14:13 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: India in control at tea!Tea on Day 2 and it is India all the way. Rohit Sharma has led the team by example as the hosts are 226 for the loss of five wickets. Along with Ravindra Jadeja, he steadied the innings beautifully and India will be looking to add more runs to their lead in the final session of the day.
- 14:07 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Close call!Todd Murphy was just inches away from completing a maiden five-wicket haul but sadly, not at the moment. The ball crashed into Ravindra Jadeja's pads but the replay showed clearly that the impact was slightly outside the off stump. Close call but Jadeja is save for now!IND 226/5 (78.4 overs)
- 13:57 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: 200 balls faced for Rohit!A patient and effective innings from the India skipper. 200 balls in the innings for Rohit Sharma and if the hosts want to consolidate a massive lead, him staying at the crease will be pivotal for the plan.IND 223/5 (77 overs)
- 13:53 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Boundary for Rohit!Rohit Sharma has been timing the ball exceptionally in this innings and a boundary off Todd Murphy was another perfect specimen of his batting. Couple of steps forward and the India skipper guided it comfortably to the mid-wicket boundary.IND 217/5 (75.5 overs)
- 13:44 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: In case you missed it!With his 9th Test century in the ongoing match, Rohit Sharma has become the first Indian captain to score a ton across formats. Read about his record in detail HERE
- 13:34 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR! Lucky boundaryRavindra Jadeja is lucky again! It was bowled well outside off stump from Scott Boland. Jadeja went for a forward defence but a big gap between bat and pad saw him losing control and getting an outside edge. The ball hit the right hand of first slip and ran to the third man fence for a four.IND 201/5 (70.1)
- 13:29 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!A half-volley outside off stump from Scott Boland and Ravindra Jadeja has played a beautiful extra cover drive on it for a four. The comfortably found the gap between mid-off and cover fielders.IND 196/5 (69.5)
- 13:13 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: India in control!Despite losing two wickets early in the second session, India are still in command of the game. They currently lead Australia by 12 runs. Rohit Sharma is well set with an unbeaten century, while new batter Ravindra Jadeja is providing him a good support from the other end. The duo has added 21 runs for the sixth wicket so far.IND 189/5 (67)
- 12:55 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Century for Rohit Sharma!A four and with it, Rohit Sharma races to his 9th Test century. What an innings this has been from the Indian skipper! It has grit, determination and responsibility. India had bundled out Australia for a paltry total but they needed someone to hold one end tight to stay in the driver's seat and here is their man - Rohit Sharma.IND 176/5 (62.4)
- 12:44 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: WICKET!That's a big blow to India. Suryakumar Yadav is gone for 8 runs off 20 balls. Nathan Lyon bowled it around the good length area and Surya committed for the drive. The ball turned viciously and went through the gap between bat and pad to hit the off stump.IND 168/5 (59.1)
- 12:40 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: A unique record for Todd Murphy!Todd Murphy has become just the third Australian bowler to pick the first four opposition wickets on Test debut:Jack Saunders vs Eng Sydney in 1901/02Ian MecKiff vs SA Joburg in 1957/58Todd Murphy vs Ind Nagpur in 2022/23
- 12:34 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!A short ball from pat Cummins and Rohit Sharma comfortably pulled it away for a four. He is now on 93 off 155 balls. Coming back to the shot, Rohit looked well in control as the fine leg fielder had no chance to stop the ball.IND 163/4 (57.2)
- 12:32 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: A test of Suryakumar Yadav!Everyone has seen how good Suryakumar Yadav is in the white-ball cricket, but his red-ball performance at the highest level is yet to be judged. He might not be getting a better opportunity than this as a set batter Rohit Sharma is at the other end to guide him and lead the innings.IND 163/4 (57)
- 12:15 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: WICKET!What a start of the second session this is for Australia! Todd Murphy has dismissed Virat Kohli on the first ball of the session. It was bowled down the leg side but an unlucky Kohli managed to get an edge on it. Wicketkeeper Alex Carey took a really good catch behind the stumps. India are four down.IND 151/4 (52.1)
- 11:37 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: It's lunch time!Lunch on Day 2 has been called. Rohit Sharma is unbeaten at the score of 85, while Virat Kohli is 12 not out. India lost two wickets -- Ravichandran Ashwin and Cheteshwar Pujara -- in the session, but they added another 74 runs to their score. Todd Murphy has claimed all the three Indian wickets that have fallen so far.
- 11:24 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!Beautiful footwork from Virat Kohli. Nathan Lyon bowled it around the full and Kohli stepped out of his crease and drove the ball for a four towards the long-off region. Kohli is looking in great control today!IND 148/3 (49.2)
- 11:15 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!Virat Kohli opens his account with a boundary on the bowling of Todd Murphy. It was a fuller ball and Kohli comfortably drove it for a four from the left side of the bowler. The mid-off had no chance to stop it.IND 141/3 (46.4)
- 11:08 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: WICKET!Another big wicket and it is the third one for Todd Murphy. It's a lucky wicket for sure but the most important thing for Australia is that they are back in the game. Murphy had bowled a delivery outside leg stump to Pujara but the batter failed to execute the sweep shot to perfection and got a top edge to see the ball flying into the hands of the short fine-leg fielder.IND 135/3 (44.1)
- 10:59 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!Another four from Rohit Sharma. He is scoring runs at a brisk pace now. A total eight runs came off the over bowled by Todd Murphy.IND 134/2 (43)
- 10:58 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: Australia lose review!An off spin delivery from Todd Murphy hit the front pad of Rohit Sharma. There was a huge appeal for an LBW but umpire was unconvinced. Given the player had first slip took the catch too, Australia went for a review. Replays revealed that there was no edge and the impact was outside the leg stump.IND 130/2 (42.2)
- 10:56 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: FOUR!On the pads of Rohit Sharma and he flicks it away for a four. Todd Murphy was targetting the pads of Rohit but the batter comfortably hit it for a four towards the deep mid-wicket region.IND 130/2 (42.1)
- 10:45 (IST)IND vs AUS Live: WICKET!R Ashwin is gone! Todd Murphy claims his second wicket of the innings. A good debut it is turning out to be for him. On the other hand, India have suffered a big blow in the form of Ashwin who is one of the best batters of spin bowling. Ashwin has been dismissed as LBW on the score of 23.IND 118/2 (40.1)
Topics mentioned in this article
Live Blogs Live Cricket Score Live Score India Cricket Team Australia Cricket Team India vs Australia, 1st Test India vs Australia, 2023 Rohit Sharma Ravichandran Ashwin Pat Cummins Nathan Lyon Ravindra Jadeja Scott Boland Todd Murphy Virat Kohli Suryakumar Yadav Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Nagpur Cricket
Get the Latest Sports News and check out Match Schedule and Live Score. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for more sports updates. You can also download the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS.