Monaco's Charles Leclerc will replace former world champion Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari in 2019
Kimi Raikkonen, the 2007 world champion, made his F1 debut with Sauber in 2001 while Charles Leclerc, 20, a Ferrari protege, is still in his rookie season.
Formula One teams Force India and Sauber complain to the European Union questioning the governance in the sport and alleging that the system of dividing revenues is both unfair and unlawful.
Marcus Ericsson joined Sauber this year following a debut season with the defunct Caterham team last year and finished eighth in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix. Brazilian Nasr made his F1 debut with Sauber this year.
Giedo van der Garde has terminated his contract, by mutual consent, with Formula One team Sauber after a drawn out legal saga.
Sauber failed to overturn an order that Giedo van der Garde must drive for them at the Australian Grand Prix. The Swiss outfit were told to hand over a list of their assets on Friday morning to ensure they comply with the court ruling.
Van der Garde claims he was guaranteed a seat for the 2015 season but that Sauber reneged on the deal and instead handed berths to Sweden's Marcus Ericsson or rookie Brazilian Felipe Nasr.
Giedo van der Garde claims he was guaranteed one of two seats on the Sauber team last year but bosses at the Swiss outfit reneged on the deal and instead handed them to Swede Marcus Ericsson and rookie Brazilian Felipe Nasr.
Felipe Nasr went fastest on the second morning of the final pre-season test in Barcelona on Friday as an encouraging couple of days for Sauber continued.
The 20-year-old won the European F3 championship last year and is a member of F1 team Ferrari's driver academy.
The 22-year-old Nasr has been working as test and reserve driver for the Williams team this season while also participating in the second-tier GP2 series, in which he is currently lying second with four wins.
In the wake of the double withdrawal of Caterham and Marussia, leaving only nine teams on the grid for this weekend's United States Grand Prix, Sauber team chief Monisha Kaltenborn said she has no doubt about how serious the threat to the sport is - and who must take responsibility.
For the first time since 2005, there will be only nine teams in the paddock and some of them are competing in straitened circumstances.
Sauber, Caterham and Marussia are struggling both on and off the track in the vastly expensive sport, with many predicting they will not have the resources to continue in F1 beyond the current season.
Esteban Gutierrez will start British Grand Prix on July 6 with a 10-point grid penalty after a so-called unsafe release from the pits at the Austrian Grand Prix on Sunday.
Gutierrez scored his first points in F1 with a sixth place finish in the 15th race of the season at Suzuka in the 2013 season.
The 30-year-old was forced to look for another drive after his previous team Force India named Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez as their drivers for next season.
Sergio Perez completed his move to Force India on Thursday and will be joining Nico Hulkenberg, who in turn is rejoining the Formula One team after a season with Sauber.