IND vs SA 1st Test Day 5 Highlights: India Beat South Africa By 113 Runs, Take 1-0 Lead In Three-Match Series
India vs South Africa, 1st Test Highlights: India took South Africa's three remaining wickets shortly after lunch to seal a 113-run victory on the fifth day of the opening Test against South Africa in Centurion on Thursday.
India vs South Africa 1st Test Day 5 Highlights: India took South Africa's three remaining wickets shortly after lunch to seal a 113-run victory on the fifth day of the opening Test against South Africa in Centurion on Thursday. South Africa lost Quinton de Kock for 21 runs to Mohammed Siraj while Wiaan Mulder also departed soon after for one run off the bowling of Mohammed Shami to give India their sixth and seventh wicket respectively shortly before lunch to put India in control. Earlier, Dean Elgar was finally dismissed for 77 runs for LBW off a Jasprit Bumrah delivery to give Team India their first breakthrough of Day 5. The victory gives India crucial 1-0 lead in the three-match Test series against South Africa. The series will next head to Johannesburg for the second Test before concluding with the final Test in Cape Town. (SCORECARD)
India vs South Africa 1st Test Day 5 Highlights From SuperSport Park In Centurion
- 16:52 (IST)Shami Among World's "Best Three" Currently, Says Virat KohliIndian captain Virat Kohli has said that pacer Mohammed Shami is the current among the best three seamers in the world at the moment. He has also lauded Indian openers for the way they batted on Day 1 in challenging conditions."Got off to the perfect start. Have to understand one day was washed out - shows how well we played. It's always a difficult place to play against SA (Centurion). The discipline that the batters showed. Winning the toss, batting first overseas is a tough challenge. Credit to Mayank and KL the way they set it up. We knew we were in pole position with anything over 300-320. Knew the bowlers will do the job. Spoke about it in the change room - the fact he didn't bowl much in the first innings, it allowed SA to get around 40 more runs (Bumrah). Just the way these guys bowl together has been a hallmark of our team getting a result in difficult situations. Absolutely world class talent (Shami). For me he's in the best three seamers in the world at the moment. His strong wrist, his seam position and his ability to hit a length consistently. Got so much confidence out of Johannesburg last time. It's a ground we love playing at," said Indian skipper Virat Kohli at post-match presentation as quoted by Cricbuzz.
- 16:47 (IST)"Our Batters Let Us Down": South Africa Captain Dean ElgarSouth Africa captain Dean Elgar has said his team's batters let the team down in the first Test. He also lauded South Africa pacers for the way they came back in the Test after a poor Day 1."Obviously not a nice thing knowing we lost a Test here. Did a few things wrong. Lot of positives coming out that we can use in the next two. Always the nature here. Always going to be tough because the wicket's playing slower (first morning). Indian openers did the fundamentals right. We didn't quite execute the lengths well. After some good chats our bowlers executed the lengths and restricted India to what we thought was a par score. New ball is something you have to get through playing here. Can't emphasise enough on the hard work our bowlers put in to get 20 wickets. Our batters let us down. I'd say the batting was the difference between the two sides. We'll have a little sit-down with myself and the management to strategise. Didn't do a lot of wrong things. Not all doom and gloom for us. We strive under the pressure which is a positive for us," said South Africa captain Dean Elgar at post-match presentation as quoted by Cricbuzz.
- 16:22 (IST)India Beat South Africa By 113 Runs In The Centurion Test!Ashwin to Ngidi, OUT!! Caught by Pujara. That's it! India win the first Test match by 113 runs. Ashwin has two wickets to his name in the end. Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Shami picked three wickets each while Mohammed Siraj got two. It was a good fight from South Africa captain Dean Elgar but the lone warrior was not enough for the hosts to save the game.Ngidi c Pujara b Ashwin 0(1)Two more Tests remaining in the series -- the second match will start from January 3 at the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg, followed by the third one at Newlands in Cape Town.India beat South Africa by 113 runs to go 1-0 in the three-match Test series
- 16:21 (IST)India Need One Wicket To Win!Another wicket!! Ravichandran Ashwin has taken his first wicket of the ongoing Test match as he has removed Kagiso Rabada. Easy catch for Shami in the end and the visitors are just one wicket away from their fourth win in South Africa.Rabada c Shami b Ashwin 0(4)India one wicket away from winSA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 191/9, need 114 runs to win
- 16:17 (IST)Shami Removes Jansen, India Two Wickets Away From Win!Shami to Jansen, OUT!! Caught by Pant!! Finally Shami wins the small battle with a brilliant delivery to get the all-rounder out. India are just 2 wickets away from a win as South Africa have lost their eight wicket.Marco Jansen c Pant b Shami 13(14) (4s-3)India two wickets away from winSA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 190/8, need 115 runs to win
- 16:13 (IST)Welcome Back!Welcome back to the post-Lunch session!India need three wickets to win while South Africa are 123 runs away from the target. Jasprit Bumrah has bowled exceptionally well in the second innings and this was the venue where he took his first five-wicket haul in 2018 on his debut series.Two back-to-back boundaries from Marco Jansen on first two balls after Lunch against Shami.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 190/7, need 115 runs to win
- 15:36 (IST)Lunch - South Africa survive till the end of the first session but a hard grind is yet to followLunch - Day 5!South batters Bavuma and Jansen saw off Ashwin in the over just before LunchThe Indian contingent will be extremely happy to have taken three wickets and need just three more to register their first Test win of the seriesSouth Africa lost Quinton de Kock for 21 runs to Mohammed Siraj while Wiaan Mulder also departed soon after for one run off the bowling of Mohammed Shami to give India their sixth and seventh wicket respectivelyEarlier, Dean Elgar was finally dismissed for 77 runs as Jasprit Bumrah trapped the batter LBW with a ball coming into him to give Team India their first breakthrough of Day 5Live Score: SA 182/7 vs IND
- 14:40 (IST)Twin Fours - De Kock guides a full toss and then another one straight down the ground off BumrahQuinton de Kock is showcasing why he is regarded as a dangerous batter by opposition captainsHe hits two boundaries off Bumrah to continue the work that was being done by Elgar since morningLive Score: SA 148/5 vs IND
- 14:35 (IST)Four - Bavuma edges Siraj towards the slips but it drops short and races though the handsBavuma is lucky as his edges off Siraj's bowling towards the slips but the ball falls shortSouth Africa need more luck to shine on them instead the sun, which definitely has Virat Kohli smiling for nowLive Score: SA 138/5 vs IND
- 14:29 (IST)Bumrah is getting his lines and lengths right with each passing overJasprit Bumrah suddenly has a spring to his run-up now after Elgar's wicketDe Kock and Bavuma will need to be at their best to counter the inspired bowling by the Indian bowlersMohammed Siraj is into the attack now, replacing ShamiLive Score: SA 131/5 vs IND
- 14:04 (IST)
- 13:57 (IST)Dropped Catch and then a four - Mohammed Shami gives Elgar a chance to stay at the creaseMohammed Shami drops a rather simple chance of his own bowling to give opener Dean Elgar another chance to stay at the creaseElgar makes best use of the second chance as he immediately scores a boundaryLive Score: SA 115/4 vs IND
- 13:35 (IST)
- 13:22 (IST)Aakash Chopra was all praise for Team India pacer Mohammed ShamiSpeaking on YouTube, Aakash Chopra lavished praise on Mohammed Shami for his five-wicket haul and also compared him to Dale Steyn and James Anderson"Mohammed Shami's wrist position isn't the best in the world? I think it is", Chopra said.
- 13:16 (IST)Bumrah was in top form as he registered dismissals of Rassie van der Dussen, Keshav MaharajJasprit Bumrah was in top form and took two wickets on Day 4 to leave South Africa reeling at 94 for fourBumrah registered the dismissals of Rassie van der Dussen and Keshav MaharajVan der Dussen tried to evade a ball that ended up moving in sharply to hit his off stump as he scored 11 runs off 65 ballsBumrah then sent a fantastic yorker on leg of Maharaj, which came angling in from outside offThe batter was aimless in his reaction and saw the ball go past him and hit the stumpsMaharaj, who was sent in as the nightwatchman by the hosts, could only muster eight runs off 19 balls
- 13:11 (IST)Indian team batting coach Vikram Rathour had some suggestions for skipper Virat KohliVirat Kohli shouldn't give up on expansive drives which has got him loads of runs but he does need to be judicious while choosing the right delivery for the perfect execution, feels Indian team batting coach Vikram RathourKohli has been struggling to deal with balls pitched outside the off-stump
- 12:41 (IST)Centurion Weather Report For Day 5After Day 2 being marred by rain, the crucial final day can also be affected by the weather in CenturionAs per AccuWeather.com, the weather can be "mostly cloudy with a couple of thunderstorms this afternoon"The probability of precipitation is expected around 65 per cent while the probability of thunderstorms is around 39 per cent
- 12:38 (IST)Hello and welcome to Day 5 of the 1st SA vs IND Test !Hello and welcome to the Live Blog of Day 5 of the first Test between South Africa and India at the SuperSport Park in CenturionThe match is well poised as India need six wickets for a win while the home team are in need of 211 more runs to winThe Virat Kohli-led Team India will rely again on the expertise of their pacers to get them the much-needed wicketsHowever, all of this will only be possible if the weather permits.So lets keep our fingers crossed and stay tuned for some Live action !