India vs Sri Lanka 1st T20I Highlights: India vs Sri Lanka 1st T20I Called Off Due To Damp Pitch In Guwahati
Highlights, India vs Sri Lanka 1st T20I: The first T20I between India and Sri Lanka was abandoned without a ball bowled due to damp patches on the surface.
The first T20I between India and Sri Lanka at the Barsapara Cricket Stadium in Guwahati was abandoned without a ball bowled due to damp patches on the either side of the pitch on Sunday. Earlier, the Indian skipper Virat Kohli won the toss and opted to bowl but the start was delayed due to rain. Even after the rain had stopped the play couldn't start as water had seeped on to the pitch, creating damp patches on both the ends of the pitch. The groundsmen tried everything to get the pitch match-ready but failed. Finally, the umpires decided to call off the game after their final inspection at 9:30 PM IST. The second T20I will be played at Holkar Cricket Stadium, Indore on January 7. (SCORECARD)
Highlights Between India vs Sri Lanka 1st T20I, straight from Barsapara Cricket Stadium, Guwahati
- 21:57 (IST)Match abandoned due to damp patches!The first T20I has been abandoned due to damp patches on the pitch.
- 21:01 (IST)Electric atmosphere in Guwahati!While the rain is playing the hide and seek, the spectators have kept the atmosphere electric in the stadium. They are on their feet and are singing Vande Matram and in unison. Extraordinary sight in Guwahati! This crowd deserves a game.
- 20:04 (IST)Inspection shifted to 9:00 PM IST!The water from the covers has seeped onto the pitch and Kohli is not very happy with that. He has pointed that out to the umpires. The pitch is not ready due to the above-mentioned reason and now we are being informed the inspection has been shifted to 9:00 PM IST.
- 19:59 (IST)Next inspection at 8:15PM IST!Covers are off from the main pitch and three match officials are having a look at it. They are even having a chat with the groundstaff. Indian skipper Virat Kohli is also out in the middle and is having a word with the umpires. The next inspection will be at 8:15 PM IST.
- 18:55 (IST)Heavy rain in Guwahati!It's raining heavily in Guwahati and groundsmen are running in to cover the area around the pitch. The spectators are also rushing to take shelter. This is not a passing drizzle and we will have a delayed start.
UPDATE - It has started to rain here and we will have a delayed start #INDvSL— BCCI (@BCCI) January 5, 2020
- 18:39 (IST)India's Playing XI!India have decided to go in with two all-rounders in Dube and Sundar along with four specialist bowlers, including three pacers and a leg-spinner.Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Virat Kohli (capt), Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant(wk), Shivam Dube, Washington Sundar, Kuldeep Yadav, Shardul Thakur, Navdeep Saini, Jasprit Bumrah.
- 18:30 (IST)Pitch report!Sunil Gavaskar in his pitch report said it's not a pretty looking pitch as it has lots of cracks on it which will help the spinners. He also reckons that the batsman will not find it that easy to bat on because of the very same reason. Keeping dew in mind, he expects whoever wins the toss will elect to bowl.
- 18:21 (IST)First bilateral T20I series in two years!These two last sides haven't played a bilateral T20I series since March 2018. The last time they faced each other was in a triangular series Nidhas Trophy' -- the final of which is remembered for Dinesh Karthik's late power-hitting. Can this series create the same magic... we will have to wait and watch.
- 18:12 (IST)Recent performances!If we go by the head to head stats between these two sides, India are the overwhelming favourites to win the series. India defeated the West Indies 2-1 in the last T20I series while Sri Lanka lost 0-3 to Australia away from home. However, that doesn't present a clear picture of their potential as Sri Lanka's second-string side completed a clean sweep over Pakistan in their own backyard, before the Australia series, meaning the visitors, playing at full-throttle, are more than capable of staging an upset.
- 17:42 (IST)Focus on comeback stars!India's premier fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah is making a comeback after a long gap of four months while opener Shikhar Dhawan is also returning after missing last couple of series against the West Indies. With India will looking to finalise their team combination for the all-important T20 World Cup, the focus certainly will be on these two players.
- 17:20 (IST)Kohli amazed by fan's creativity!Virat Kohli got a beautiful surprise from his special fan who had created his portrait using old mobile phones. The India skipper was completely mesmerised by his creativity. Click here to read the full story.
- 17:15 (IST)Virat Kohli doing his usual stuff!India skipper Virat Kohli, after spending the winter break with wife Anushka Sharma in Switzerland is back to his normal duties. In the build-up to the first series of the year, he spent hours practicing in the nets.