India vs South Africa 1st Test, Day 3 Match Highlights: Dean Elgar, Quinton De Kock Star For South Africa As Ravindra Jadeja Registers Big Record
India Vs South Africa Highlights: Dean Elgar and Quinton de Kock helped South Africa reach 292/5 at Tea on Day 3.
Centuries from Dean Elgar and Quinton de Kock were the highlights of Day 3 of the 1st Test between India and South Africa. South Africa dominated the first two sessions, losing just two wickets, but Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja ruined what would have been a perfect day for the visiting side with some quick wickets in the third session. Jadeja removed Dean Elgar for 161 before Ashwin bowled Quinton de Kock. Ashwin struck again to remove Vernon Philander and claim his 27th Test 5-wicket haul. Jadeja's wicket of Elgar was also his 200th Test wicket and the spinner became the fastest left-hander to reach that landmark. (Scorecard)
Highlights Between India vs South Africa 1st Test Match Day 3, Straight from Dr. Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium, Vizag
1st Test, Freedom Trophy, 2019, Oct 02, 2019
India beat South Africa by 203 runs
- 17:04 (IST)South Africa edge the day, but India still ahead in the matchDay 3 of the first Test between India and South Africa probably belonged to the visiting team, with a fluent half-century from captain Faf du Plessis and magnificent centuries from Dean Elgar and Quinton de Kock. South Africa piled on 346 runs through the day thanks to two 100-plus partnerships between Elgar-du Plessis and Elgar-de Kock.
South Africa were looking comfortable until Tea, but Ravindra Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin came to life in the last session as Jadeja reached the 200-Test wickets milestone and Ashwin picked up his 27th Test 5-fer to put India comfortably back in the driving seat.
- 16:57 (IST)Impressive knock from MuthusamyFacing a rejuvenated Ashwin and Jadeja, Muthusamy has done well here to survive 55 deliveries. The ball is also spinning and bouncing and suddenly looks a different pitch than what Dean Elgar and Quinton de Kock were batting on, but the young debutant has shown some grit here
- 16:51 (IST)Ashwin gets his 5-ferRavichandran Ashwin has toiled hard all day! He has bowled the most number of overs for India this innings, went through the entire first session without a wicket, but he kept persisting and it has paid off for him!
This was Ravichandran Ashwin's 27th 5-wicket haul in Test cricket
- 16:32 (IST)Ashwin with a huge breakthroughAshwin had de Kock beat a couple of times in the last few overs, and this time he gets his man. For two balls in a row, he turned it away from the left-hander and this one just holds it's line and goes on to hit the stumps after deflecting off his legs.
It was a magnificent effort from Quinton de Kock. He came in and played some brilliant counter-attacking shots to try and chase down a huge total, but he has been done in here by a brilliant piece of bowling by Ashwin.
- 15:52 (IST)Elgar departs after a fighting knockIt was a magnificent showing by Dean Elgar, but Ravindra Jadeja finally brought the knock to an end. Elgar has gone for the big hits - the most by him in a Test knock - but this time he just couldn't get to the pitch of the ball and gets a top edge. Pujara takes a fantastic catch running forward and that is the end of a brilliant innings and a resilient partnership
- 15:27 (IST)Dean Elgar reaches his second-highest scoreDean Elgar has registered his second-highest score in Test cricket with this knock. He had scored an unbeaten 141 against Australia, which was his second-best score and he has moved past that.
His highest Test score is his 199 against Bangladesh and South Africa will hope that he can beat that today