Story ProgressBack to home
India vs New Zealand, WTC Final, Highlights, Day 2: Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane Take India To 146/3 At Stumps
IND vs NZ WTC Final Highlights 2021, India vs New Zealand: Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane took India to 146/3 at stumps on Day 2 after the final session of play was hindered repeatedly due to bad light.
India vs New Zealand Highlights: Virat Kohli ended the day on 44 runs.© Twitter/BCCI
After a washed out opening day, the second was also repeatedly hampered due to bad light. The game started on time as Indian openers Rohit Sharma and Shubman Gill gave India a solid start before New Zealand pacers struck twice before Lunch to remove both. India lost Cheteshwar Pujara for 8 runs but Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane added more than 50 runs to help India get on track. However, bad light forced an early Tea and later India ended Day 2 at 146 runs for the loss of three wickets after 64.4 overs. Kohli was batting at 44 runs while Rahane looked defensively strong on his way to 29 runs. Both Virat Kohli and Kane Williamson will be hoping to trump each other, as they haven't won an international ICC trophy as captain. (SCORECARD)
Highlights WTC Final Cricket Score And Updates Between India vs New Zealand From The Ageas Bowl, Southampton
Final, ICC World Test Championship Final, 2021, Jun 18, 2021
Day 6 | Match Ended
The Rose Bowl, Southampton
New Zealand beat India by 8 wickets
- 22:52 (IST)Stumps On Day 2!Bad light has forced stumps on Day 2.India end the day at 146 runs for the loss of three wickets after 64.4 overs with Kohli batting at 44 runs and Rahane on 29.Both New Zealand and India will be quite happy with their performances on a stop-n-start day that saw bad light playing spoilsport after Tea.That's all from the blog today, hope you join us tomorrow for Day 3 of the WTC Final.Till then, goodbye!
- 22:51 (IST)Stumps!Stumps on Day 2 due to bad light.
- 21:43 (IST)Covers On!And now the covers are on. Fingers crossed.
- 21:34 (IST)Gloomy Days!Not looking good again as players and umpires continue to have discussions.
- 21:25 (IST)Bad Light Stops Play!Players walking off again. Bad light has stopped play.
- 21:21 (IST)Kohli Looking Good For 50!Skipper Virat Kohli (44 runs off 124 balls) is edging closer to his fifty.How badly did Team India need this innings after the loss of three wickets!
- 21:13 (IST)Responsible Rahane!Rahane has his eyes set now. The vice-captain is playing the ball late with a tight defence.Ind 140/3 after 62 overs. Rahane is batting at 28 runs off 74 balls.
- 21:05 (IST)50-Run Partnership!A well-calculated 50-run partnership between Kohli and Rahane has put India in a better position in the final session on Day 2.
- 21:03 (IST)Four!Rahane pulls a short delivery for a boundary off Southee on the leg-side.Ind 138/3 after 59.4 overs.
- 20:59 (IST)Play Resumes!Play resumes with Kohli on strike.Kyle Jamieson begins proceedings after the delay.
- 20:41 (IST)Covers Are On!Sad pictures coming from Southampton. Pitch has been covered.
- 20:30 (IST)Bad Light Stops Play!Bad lights stops play again. Players and umpires leave the ground.Ind 134/3 in 58.4 overs.
- 20:28 (IST)Four!After beating the bat against both batsmen, Southee concedes a four to Rahane to a ball outside the off-stump.Ind 134/3 after 58 overs.
- 20:19 (IST)Light Improved!Light improved drastically post Tea at The Ageas Bowl.
- 20:15 (IST)Final Session Begins!Third Session starts as players and umpires make way into the middle.Tim Southee begins proceedings for the Blackcaps.
- 20:07 (IST)Bad Light Delays Start Of 3rd Session!According to the latest updates, the start of the final session on Day 2 has been delayed due to bad light at the stadium.
- 19:57 (IST)Early Tea!The game hangs in balance as players enjoy a hot beverage.
- 19:47 (IST)Early Tea On Day 2!Early Teahas been taken at The Ageas Bowl in Southampton.India 120/3 after 55.3 overs. Kohli batting at 35 runs while Rahane is at 13.The Indian captain batted out the session with only one wicket falling in the form of Cheteshwar Pujara. New Zealand pacers kept it tight throughout, not giving any width for the batsmen to open their arms.An important final session of Day 2 coming soon.
- 19:39 (IST)Wagner Swinging The Ball!Wagner still extracting some swing with his conventional deliveries coming back into the right hander.With Kohli and Rahane at the crease, Williamson can look at Boult and Wagner as potential wicket-takers.Ind 120/3 after 55 overs.
- 19:30 (IST)Rahane Hits Four!Rahane cuts between the gap for a beautiful four off de Grandhomme. He moves on to 12 runs off 43 deliveries.Ind 112/3 in 52.4 overs.
- 19:25 (IST)Maiden!A brilliant maiden from de Grandhomme. No freebies from the NZ quicks as Indian batsmen are taking their time.Ind 106/3 in 51 overs.
- 19:17 (IST)Williamson Or Broad?ICC are stepping up their game. Don't know if Kyle Jamieson or Stuart Broad.
- 19:13 (IST)100 Up For India!India cross 100 runs for the loss of three wickets in 47 overs.Indian captain Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane are at the crease.
- 19:05 (IST)Kohli Looking Good!Virat Kohli is finding the gaps at ease now. Flicks a Trent Boult-delivery off the pads for three runs.India 98/3 in 46.2 overs.
- 19:01 (IST)Kevin Pietersen Impressed!Former England batsman Kevin Pietersen seems impressed by Kohli's running between the wickets.
- 18:59 (IST)Boult Bowling Tighly!A brilliant over by Trent Boult to give away only one run to Virat Kohli. Indians are playing the ball on merit with minimum risk.Ind 95/3 after 45 overs.
- 18:53 (IST)Warne Unhappy!Warne showcased his unhappiness at NZ for not having a spinner in their ranks.
- 18:48 (IST)Run-Out Scare!Ajinkya Rahane just survived a run-out at the bowler's end from Williamson.India 93/3 in 43 overs.
- 18:46 (IST)Sehwag Speaks!Sehwag expresses his views on the appeal against Kohli.
- 18:41 (IST)Kohli Survives!Huge appeal turned down against Kohli for caught-behind down the leg-side off Trent Boult.Umpires checked if the keeper caught the ball cleanly, later the snick-o-meter showed no hints of an edge.India 91/3 after 41 overs.
- 18:32 (IST)Wicket- Pujara Falls!Trent Boult proved to be an inspired change as he claimed the wicket of Pujara for 8 runs score in 54 balls.Ind 88/3 in 40.2 overs.
- 18:31 (IST)Contest Is On!Kohli and de Grandhomme in a mini battle here.
- 18:26 (IST)Testing Short-Stuff From NZ!New Zealand pacers are testing the Indian batsmen with some short deliveries outside the off-stump.Kyle Jamieson into the attack with India at 84/2 after 39 overs.
- 18:21 (IST)Kohli Looking Good!Virat Kohli is opening his arms here with good-looking and confident shots on the front foot.Ind 81/2 in 38 overs.
- 18:16 (IST)Pujara Hit!A nasty delivery by Wagner has Pujara's helmet parts on the ground.Some serious cricket happening in the middle.
- 18:11 (IST)Maiden!A Colin de Grandhomme maiden to captain Kohli.Ind 78/2 after 36 overs.
- 18:05 (IST)Four!Pujara has hit the ground running with a stupendous four off Wagner.Ind 78/2 after 34.1 overs.
- 18:01 (IST)Finally, Pujara Scores!Finally Pujara scores after 35 balls. A cut shot for a four on the off-side.Ind 74/2 after 33 overs.
- 17:56 (IST)Appeal Against Kohli!Huge appeal for a caught behind against Kohli by de Grandhomme. A brilliant out-swinger touches the back-leg.No review by Williamson though. Ind 70/2 after 32 overs.
- 17:55 (IST)One Run Added!Colin de Grandhomme continuing after Wagner gives away one run.Ind 70/2 after 31 overs.
Topics mentioned in this article