World Cup Opening Ceremony 2019 Highlights: Vivid World Cup Party Concludes After England's 60-Second Challenge Win
Cricket World Cup Opening Ceremony: The World Cup 2019 kick-started tonight with a opening ceremony at The Mall, in front of Buckingham Palace in central London.
The opening party was hosted by former England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff. He was accompanied by India's Shibani Dandekar. The event started with the introduction of captains of all 10 participating teams, followed by 60-second challenge. Former India coach Anil Kumble and Bollywood star Farhan Akhtar represented India in the challenge but they only scored 19 runs, the lowest among all teams. Hosts England scored 74 runs, four more than Australia's 69, and won the challenge. The opening party also included two melodious performances. After the challenge, former Australia skipper Michael Clarke, who lifted the trophy in 2015, brought the glittering trophy on the stage. The event ended with the ICC World Cup 2019 theme song. The matches will kick-start tomorrow when England take on South Africa in the tournament opener at the Oval, London. England will be the favourites to win the match but in a tournament like World Cup, anything can happen.
World Cup 2019 Opening Ceremony Highlights, straight from The Mall, in front of Buckingham Palace in central London
- 22:29 (IST)That's all for tonight!Thank you for joining us. We will see you tomorrow. England face South Africa in the tournament opener.
- 22:27 (IST)Melody continues...Musical performance lifts crowd's mood after the 60-second challenge. They are all dancing and enjoying to the fullest. The opening party ends with ICC World Cup 2019 song.
- 22:23 (IST)Trophy presented before the crowdMichael Clarke who lifted the trophy as Australia's captain four years back now brings the trophy on the stage. Calrke calls his World Cup victory "very special". He thinks five or six teams have great chance at this year's tournament, including hosts England.
- 22:20 (IST)Malala Yousafzai praises women cricketersMalala who took part for Pakistan in 60-second challenge talks about women cricketers and how they inspire millions. She adds that cricket is the binding factor and brings people together.
- 22:16 (IST)The hosts win the 60-second challengeHosts England are led by Kevin Pietersen and they score 74 runs five more than Australia's 69. England have a great chance to "bring it home" this time feels Pietersen. He wishes Eoin Morgan's side best of luck for the tournament.
- 22:09 (IST)India finish at 19Anil Kumble is missing balls while Farhan Akhtar is hitting well. Their innings end at 19 -- the lowest total so far.
- 22:07 (IST)South Africa manage 48Jacques Kallis is hitting well but lack of support from his teammate ends their innings at 48.
- 22:06 (IST)New Zealand innings endsNew Zealand have scored 32. Not enough to beat Australia's total.
- 22:05 (IST)Australia on topBrett Lee and his teammate hit 69 runs. They go top of the list with that.
- 21:59 (IST)Indian pair talk to hostIndian pair of former India coach Anil Kumble and Bollywood star Farhan Akhtar speaks to host Shibani Dandekar ahead of their turn. Will they be able to beat Afghanistan's total?
- 21:57 (IST)Pakistan innings endsPakistan score 38 runs
- 21:56 (IST)Bangladesh score 22Bangladesh fail to impress the crowd. Next in are Pakistan.
- 21:54 (IST)West Indies score 47 points47 runs takes them to the second spot.
- 21:52 (IST)Sri Lanka score 43Mahela Jayawardene is part of Sari Lanka team. They finish at 43.
- 21:51 (IST)Afghanistan score 52 in 60 secondThe batsman has to change strike after every ball.
- 21:49 (IST)Rules are being explainedDavid Boon will officiate the game. First to walk in is Afghanistan team.
- 21:48 (IST)Teams for 60-challengeThe 60-challenge teams are being introduced. West Indies are represented by Viv Richards and Yohan Blake. Brett Lee take part for Australia. Anil Kumble and Farhan Akhtar form the Indian team. Kevin Petersen will play for England. Malala YousafZai is part of Pakistani team.
- 21:43 (IST)60-second challenge.Andrew Flintoff is surrounded by the crowd. Vivian Richards and Yohan Blake are gearing up for a 60-second challenge. Viv Richards says, "No one rule out the Windies team from the big event".
Look who's arrived at the #CWC19 Opening Party pic.twitter.com/QJAoUEWVfl— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) May 29, 2019
- 21:39 (IST)Party is on!The opening party has started with a singing performance.
- 21:37 (IST)Virat Kohli thanks Indian fansVirat Kohli acknowledges the support of Indian fans and says that they have strong fan base in England which is good to see and also feel proud to play here.
- 21:35 (IST)Eoin Morgan"We can't wait to start," says English skipper Eoin Morgan.
- 21:35 (IST)Captains welcomed on stageTeam captain are being called on the stage one by one. First one to come is Afghanistan skipper. He is followed by Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and at last Indian skipper Virat Kohli and the last to arrive at the stage is English skipper Eoin Morgan.
- 21:32 (IST)Opening party begins!Andrew Flintoff is one of the hosts of the opening party. He announces the party open amidst loud cheers from the crowd.
- 21:07 (IST)Fans have started gatheringThe fans have started gathering near the venue which will host the gala event. Remember we yet don't know what the event has in store for us but ICC has promised a big surprise and a experience to cherish life long How excited are you!
The fans are readying themselves for the start of the #CWC19 Opening Party! pic.twitter.com/cQ8gOYAYXb— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) May 29, 2019
- 20:45 (IST)Countdown begins...
hour until the #CWC19 Opening Party starts!— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) May 29, 2019
Make sure you tune in! pic.twitter.com/SN9pAMSDm1
- 20:38 (IST)Some lucky fans will also attend the eventThe tickets for this gala event were allocated through ballot system and each lucky applicant was entitled for upto two tickets.
- 20:27 (IST)Mix of music, dance and sportAs per ICC release the opening party will be a mix of music, dance and some of the biggest names in sport with a winner takes all sporting competition.
- 20:13 (IST)World Cup 2019 kick-starts tonightWelcome to the live updates of World Cup 2019 opening ceremony live from London, England. 10 teams will face each other at least once in a round-robin format to win the coveted trophy. The first match of the tournament will be played tomorrow but the the mega event kick-offs tonight with a spectacular opening party.