- That's that then! India's World Cup squad has been named, with very few surprises in it. World Cup 2011 hero Yuvraj Singh missed the bus while Ishant Sharma, missing the SCG Test due to injury, has earned a spot. Rookie spinner Akshar Patel and fit-again Ravindra Jadeja will accompany Ravichandran Ashwin to complete the spin troika. India have steered clear of options like Robin Uthappa and Murali Vijay for back-up opener's spot and stuck by middle-order floater Ambati Rayudu, who can also double up as back-up wicketkeeper.
- Here's BCCI putting out India's 15-man squad on Twitter.
- The party has begun in Ranchi.
Ranchi: Celebration outside MS Dhoni's residence for him being selected for Team India for the World Cup https://t.co/aVBWOLkwa6- ANI (@ANI_news) January 6, 2015
- Well balanced team. Would have picked Yuvraj Singh for World Cup, says former chief selector Syed Kirmani.
- India seem to have put their faith in Stuart Binny and his ability to swing the ball owing to favourable conditions in New Zealand, where India will play a few of their group matches.
- BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said Ravindra Jadeja is undergoing rehabilitation and should be fit in 10 days. He also mentioned that Yuvraj Singh's name was discussed in the meeting along with several other players.
- BCCI have added Mohit Sharma and Dhawal Kulkarni to the 15 mentioned earlier for the upcoming tri-series involving England and Australia.
- Indian team for World Cup: MS Dhoni (c & wk), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Stuart Binny, Umesh Yadav.
- BCCI press conference likely in the next 5-10 minutes.
- The BCCI meeting has started.
- Robin Uthappa, another World Cup hopeful, has just put on a splendid knock of 156 for Karnataka against Jammu & Kashmir in the Ranji Trophy. Will he make the cut?
- Reports coming in is that Binny has arrived for the meeting.
- An informal chat with physio Nitin Patel is on. Roger Binny's flight got delayed and he is yet to reach for the meeting.
- BCCI sources claim Yuvraj Singh will not be considered for the World Cup, say reports.
- Virender Sehwag too, displayed splendid form with the bat for Delhi but has his innings come too little too late.
- There is also a lot of focus on Test opener Murali Vijay. He last played an ODI for India in July 2013 but his current form in Tests may earn him the spot of the reserve opener.
- NDTV cricket expert Sunil Gavaskar had picked his squad earlier. He didn't pick Yuvraj, will BCCI go for the 2011 World Cup hero?
- Just a few hours ahead of the team selection, Mohit Sharma bagged a hat-trick against Delhi in a domestic match. Gavaskar named him in his squad. Will he be picked today?
- Ishant Sharma is reportedly injured and that will reduce his chances for the World Cup and upcoming tri-series starting on January 16.
- The selection meeting is underway in Mumbai.
- Ravindra Jadeja, who wasn't selected for the first two Tests vs Australia, suffered shoulder injury and was ruled out of the third and fourth Tests. He will also miss the tri-series against England and Australia, starting on January 16. Will the selectors still pick him for the World Cup?
- Physio Nitin Patel has submitted fitness report of Ravindra Jadeja.
- Sandip Patil, Saba Karim, Vikram Rathod and Rajendra Hans have arrived for the World Cup squad selection meeting. The meeting starts at 1 PM.
With the selection of the 15-man squad for the World Cup 2015 just a couple of hours away, all the focus is on Yuvraj Singh. Will BCCI give him a late call-up?
Former India skipper and NDTV expert Sunil Gavaskar kept emotions aside and omitted Yuvraj Singh from his 15-man squad for the World Cup 2015, starting on February 14. (Read Gavaskar's list of 15)
Yuvraj, who last played an ODI for India in December 2013, has 8329 runs in 293 ODIs at an average of 36.37 with 13 centuries and 51 fifties to his name. Yuvraj was man of the tournament in India World Cup 2011 triumph, scoring 362 runs and picking up 15 wickets.
Yuvraj recently scored three back-to-back centuries in the domestic circuit and even though he did not feature in the 30-man probables list, there are speculations doing the rounds that he could still be picked for the World Cup.
India will be led by Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who recently retired from Test cricket. He will be eager to defend his crown. The top order is expected to picked from the list of Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu and Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Among the bowlers, the spin troika of Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja and Axar Patel are strong contenders. In the pace department, Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Mohammed Shami are expected to lead the line with the likes of Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron, Mohit Sharma fighting it out for the rest of the spots. Allrounders Stuart Binny and Dhawal Kulkarni could also be in the fray.
Yuvraj Singh's ODI career so far in numbers: