West Indies have reportedly left out Kieron Pollard and Dwayne Bravo, two of the most sensational limited overs players, from their 2015 World Cup squad. Bravo had led a rebellion over payments last year during a during tour of India and may be paying a price for that. (World Cup 2015 full squads)
ESPNCricinfo quotes Dinanath Ramnarine, former West Indies leg-spinner and ex-president of the players' association, saying both Bravo and Pollard were sidelined. "Confirmed Bravo and Pollard are both out of the 2015 WC," Ramnarine said on his personal Twitter account on Thursday. The West Indies Cricket Board are expected to officially name the squad over the weekend.
In December, Clive Lloyd's selection panel dropped the trio of Bravo, Pollard and Darren Sammy from the five-match ODI series against South Africa, starting on January 16. Jason Holder, an inexperienced fast pacer, replaced Bravo as the ODI captain. Former skipper Sammy was also added to the squad.
Ever since West Indies pulled out of the series against India due to a dispute over wages, a change ODI leadership was inevitable. Bravo led the fight against the West Board and shot out several letters voicing players' concerns.
Writing for ESPNcricinfo, Holding said the players were being punished by the administrators for no reason. What was appalling for him was how a player like Bravo, who had made it in the ICC ODI Team of 2014, could not find a place in the West Indies squad.