From lamenting how badly he will be missed at the 2015 World Cup to declaring that his career is already over, followers of discarded cricketer Yuvraj Singh showed a variety of emotions as they took to Twitter following the batsman's exclusion from the 15-man Indian squad for the quadrennial event announced on Tuesday.
A disappointed fan, whose twitter handle read @abhijitmajumder, posted "Yuvraj Singh's career is officially over. Dream while it lasted. Strongly feel Indian team will miss his spunk, experience in #WC2015. #Yuvi".
Rohit Srivastava, an ardent fan of the southpaw, could not understand why the prolific left-hander was left out, even though Ravindra Jadeja, who was reportedly injured, got the green signal. (Also Read: Tough on Yuvraj, But World Cup Axe was Expected, Says Gavaskar)
"@YUVSTRONG12 Hard for me to understand, but good luck for future. #WC2015 #IndiaTeam" tweeted Srivastava.
Ashish Naik, another devoted follower of Yuvraj, posted that India had already lost the World Cup by dropping the talismanic all-rounder.
"No Yuvraj Singh in World Cup squad#wc2015 already lost. Poorest team and bowling attack. Most players failed in Aus," he posted.
When asked about Yuvraj's omission, Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Sanjay Patel said his name emerged in the discussions but he wasn't considered worthy of selection.
Yuvraj was not among the 30 probables for the World Cup.
"Not only Yuvraj Singh, a lot of other players were also discussed apart from the 30, and after a lot of deliberation [the team was finalised] in the presence of all the five selectors as well as captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and coach Duncan Fletcher, who were there on conference call."
Yuvraj has scored 8,329 runs in 293 One Day Internationals and pocketed 111 wickets. He was the man-of-the-tournament in India's triumphant run at home in the 2011 edition of the mega event.