England vs India 2nd Test, Day 5 Highlights: India Beat England By 151 Runs To Take 1-0 Series Lead
England vs India Highlights: India won a thriller at Lord's by 151 runs to take a 1-0 lead in the five-match Test series.
Mohammed Siraj took the last two wickets to hand India a historic win at Lord's by 151 runs which helped the visitors take a 1-0 lead in the five-match Test series, with three Tests still to be played. While the day began with England feeling confident - especially after the early wicket of Rishabh Pant - India's pacers turned the game around, with both bat and ball. Mohammed Shami and Jasprit Bumrah's unbeaten 89-run stand saw India set a target of 272 runs, before they both struck in the first two overs of England's innings to remove openers Rory Burns and Dom Sibley. Haseeb Hameed was soon to follow and Jonny Bairstow also fell before Tea. Bumrah came back to send back the in-form Joe Root, but then Jos Buttler began the resistance with Moeen Ali. Mohammed Siraj then got Ali and Sam Curran in consecutive deliveries to tilt the match in India's favour, but Buttler and Ollie Robinson continued to deny India, and almost rescued the match for the hosts.
However, it was Bumrah again who got the breakthrough, as he outfoxed Robinson with a peach of a slower delivery. Siraj then got Buttler in the next over, and two deliveries later, wrapped up the win with James Anderson's wicket.
Highlights Of England vs India 2nd Test, Day 5 From Lord's Cricket Ground, London
- 23:27 (IST)India Win By 151 Runs !India Win - Take 1-0 LeadIndia have won the second Test at Lord's by 151 runs as Siraj took the last wicket of James AndersonIndia take a crucial 1-0 lead in the five-match Test series with three matches still to be playedThat's all from the Live Coverage of the blog, thank you for joining - Goodbye and take care !
India win— ICC (@ICC) August 16, 2021
A sensational performance on day five helps them go 1-0 up in the five-match series!#WTC23 | #ENGvIND | https://t.co/rhWT865o91 pic.twitter.com/fOxpZ3s8j9
- 22:59 (IST)Wicket - Bumrah Gets Robinson !Bumrah gets Robinson LBW as India finally take a good DRS callENG 120/8 after 50.5 overs
- 22:42 (IST)Surviving Need Of The Hour !8 runs off 28 balls- Robinson is playing the ball as late as possible and keep it down as wellENG 116/7 after 48 overs12 overs left today
- 22:34 (IST)Jos Buttler's Defensive Masterclass !Win or a loss, Jos Buttler has shown a defensive masterclass already - 19 runs off 77 ballsA white-ball genius is showing how to probably save a TestENG 112/7 after 46.3 overs13.3 overs left in the day
- 22:24 (IST)Drinks - Last Hour !Last drinks break of the matchThe final hour will begin post the drinks break with India needing three wicketsENG 112/7 after 45 overs
- 22:15 (IST)Robinson Holding On !Robinson has done a nice job holding one end along with Buttler17 overs still left todayENG 108/7 - India need three wickets to win
- 22:00 (IST)India Pushing For Victory !India can taste the victory already with only three wickets neededA huge win awaits the Indian team at Lord's !
- 21:50 (IST)Wicket- Siraj Gets Curran !Siraj gets Sam Curran on the first ball - On a hat-trick nowENG 90/7 after 38.2 overs
- 21:48 (IST)Wicket- Siraj Gets Ali !England lose Moeen Ali now, Siraj gets the breakthroughENG 90/6 after 38.1 overs
- 21:47 (IST)Buttler & Ali Still There !Buttler and Moeen are still survivingKohli getting a bit frustrated now, needs a wicketENG 90/5 after 38 oversOvers left today: 22
- 21:40 (IST)Ali Survives !Surely, Jadeja should have had Moeen Ali had it not been a no ballAli edged it to Pant and Kohli took the DRS but the umpire called it a no-ballENG 88/5 after 35.1 overs
- 21:28 (IST)Drinks !Drinks TakenButtler and Moeen are focussing hard and need to do the same for the next 26 more oversENG 88/5 after 34 overs
- 21:24 (IST)Pitch Getting Slower !The pitch seems to be losing pace a bit and can be very well be useful to JadejaENG 84/5 after 33 oversOvers left today- 27
- 21:14 (IST)Buttler & Ali Doing The Job !Buttler and Moeen need to keep doing this for 29 more overs today if England need to salvage a drawENG 76/5 after 31 overs
- 21:01 (IST)Buttler Dropped By Kohli !Jos Buttler gets a second chance as Virat Kohli drops a sitter in the first slipsENG 75/5 after 26.3 overs - Need 197 runs
- 20:52 (IST)Huge Task Ahead For Buttler & Moeen !Jos Buttler and Moeen Ali will have to bat out of their skins to keep the Indian bowlers at bayENG 73/5 after 25.3 overs - Need 199 runs to winOvers left today - 34.3
- 20:38 (IST)Wicket - Bumrah Gets Root !Jasprit Bumrah gets the all-important wicket of Joe Root for 33 runs off 60 ballsKohli takes a good catch at first slipENG 67/5 after 22.3 overs - Need 205 more runs to win
Big Wicket! @Jaspritbumrah93 scalps his second wicket as captain @imVkohli takes the catch. #TeamIndia strike right after the Tea interval.— BCCI (@BCCI) August 16, 2021
England 67/5 as Joe Root gets out. #ENGvIND
Follow the match https://t.co/KGM2YELLde pic.twitter.com/m0EOOvRkB5
- 20:35 (IST)Bumrah Starts Proceedings !Jasprit Bumrah has started proceedings in the final session of the matchENG need 205 more runs to win
- 20:19 (IST)Wicket - Tea Taken !Tea Taken at Lord's on Day 5India remove Jonny Bairstow on the last ball before Tea as Ishant's DRS appeal is successfulBairstow is LBW for 2 runs off 24 ballsENG 67/4 after 22 overs - Need 205 more runs to win
Tea at Lord's— ICC (@ICC) August 16, 2021
India end the session on a high with the wicket of Jonny Bairstow.
An enthralling final session is in store for us.
What will be the result? #WTC23 | #ENGvIND | https://t.co/rhWT865o91 pic.twitter.com/KgbofpvQcB
- 19:58 (IST)England Need A Partnership !Bairstow and Root, the two experienced players will need to contribute hereENG 59/3 after 19 overs - Need 213 runs to win
- 19:47 (IST)Wicket - Ishant Gets Hameed !Ishant gets into the mix as he gets Haseeb Hameed LBW for 9 runs off 45 ballsENG 44/3 after 15.3 overs - Need 228 more runs to win
Ishant Sharma makes an immediate impact— ICC (@ICC) August 16, 2021
Haseeb Hameed departs for 9.#WTC23 | #ENGvIND | https://t.co/rhWT865o91 pic.twitter.com/e7eK31r0HF
- 19:30 (IST)Ravindra Jadeja Into The Mix Now !Virat Kohli has brought Ravindra Jadeja into the attack now and the spinner will look to turn from the roughENG 43/2 after 13 overs - Need 229 more runs to win
- 19:22 (IST)Root Staying Strong !It seems like Joe Root is continuing from his 180* in the first innings as he moves on to 16 runs off 26 ballsEngland need their captain to stand up yet againENG 36/2 after 11 overs - Need 236 more runs to win
- 19:13 (IST)England Rebuild After Shaky Start !Runs have finally started to come for England as they try to resurrect from a shaky startRoot and Hameed need to put together a solid stand for England to think of a draw or even a winENG 28/2 after 8.1 overs - Need 244 more runs to win
- 19:01 (IST)Haseeb Hameed Dropped !Haseeb Hameed is dropped on 6 by Rohit Sharma in the slips off Mohammed ShamiEngland are just hanging on hereENG 12/2 after 5.2 overs - Need 260 more to win
- 18:59 (IST)Sachin Is Backing India !Former player Sachin Tendulkar is totally excited seeing this inspiring Indian performance unfold on Day 5 at Lord's
Calling this partnership crucial would be an understatement. It has changed the complexion of the game! Well done @MdShami11 and @Jaspritbumrah93!— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) August 16, 2021
Go for it #TeamIndia. #ENGvIND
- 18:56 (IST)Game Of Momentum - Shami & Bumrah !There's a lot of lateral movement to handle for the newcomers at the crease - Haseeb Hameed and Joe RootBumrah and Shami have their tails up and are looking to get more wickets hereENG 6/2 after 4 overs - Need 266 more to win
- 18:52 (IST)Wicket - Shami Gets Sibley !Shami and Bumrah have returned to torment the English side, now with the ballShami gets rid of Sibley for a duck as both openers are back in the pavilionENG 1/2 after 1.4 overs - Need 269 more to win
Shami gets Dom Sibley with a peach of a delivery— ICC (@ICC) August 16, 2021
are 1/2.#WTC23 | #ENGvIND | https://t.co/rhWT865o91 pic.twitter.com/mVaheETDQt
- 18:49 (IST)Wicket - Bumrah Gets Burns !England lose Rory Burns for a duck in the first overWhat a start for Jasprit BumrahENG 1-1 after 0.3 overs - Need 271 more to win
Bumrah strikes early— ICC (@ICC) August 16, 2021
Rory Burns is gone for a duck!#WTC23 | #ENGvIND | https://t.co/rhWT865o91 pic.twitter.com/1Yu3PhmKtl
- 18:33 (IST)England Innings Starts !Dominic Sibley and Rory Burns are in the middle and so is the Indian teamJasprit Bumrah starts the fourth innings against BurnsENG need 272 runs to win !
- 18:23 (IST)Four & India Declare - England Need 272 To Win !Virat Kohli has declared at 298/8 after 109.3 overs, setting England 272 run to winShami remained unbeaten on 56 while Bumrah at 34England innings to start soon !
India have declared on 298/8!— ICC (@ICC) August 16, 2021
England will chase a target of 272 for a victory #WTC23 | #ENGvIND | https://t.co/rhWT865o91 pic.twitter.com/GqnfTRbIdv
- 18:21 (IST)Anderson From The Other End !Anderson starts from the other end but Shami has only one gear switched onIND 294/8 after 109.2 overs - Lead by 267 runs
- 18:16 (IST)Runs Flowing For India !Runs continue to leak as India get 8 of the Robinson over after LunchIND 294/8 after 109 overs - Lead by 267 runs
- 18:13 (IST)2nd Session Begins !The second session on Day 5 has begunNo signs of any declaration by Kohli as Bumrah and Shami carry on
- 17:37 (IST)Lunch Taken !Lunch - Day 5What an incredible session for Team India, who have raced to a lead of 259 runs despite losing Pant early todayMohammed Shami scored a magnificent fifty and added more than 50 runs together with Jasprit BumrahIND 286/8 after 108 oversShami 52*Bumrah 30*O Robinson 2/41
Lunch at Lord's— ICC (@ICC) August 16, 2021
A terrific first session on day five for the visitors.#WTC23 | #ENGvIND | https://t.co/rhWT865o91 pic.twitter.com/55ZlMq5LFg
- 17:28 (IST)50 Up For Mohammed Shami !This is brilliant from Shami, who reaches his second Test fifty with a huge six off Moeen AliIND 282/8 after 105.3 overs
A sensational half-century from Mohammad Shami #WTC23 | #ENGvIND | https://t.co/rhWT865o91 pic.twitter.com/YoDfYHhTom— ICC (@ICC) August 16, 2021
- 17:12 (IST)Lead Nearing 250 now !It's just relentless from Bumrah and Shami hereIND 262/8 after 102.4 overs - Lead by 235 runs
- 17:09 (IST)50 Run Stand - Shami & BumrahNever thought this would be put into words:Shami and Bumrah have added 50 runs now for the ninth wicketShane Warne thinks England have completely lost the plot here
Horrible tactics from Eng. Why don't the bowlers say no I don't want 5/6 fielders on the fence - as how am I getting the batsman out skip. Will Eng go for these runs ? Remember when NZ set 270 of 75 overs & Eng never considered the chase. India win or draw for me @SkyCricket— Shane Warne (@ShaneWarne) August 16, 2021
- 17:02 (IST)Bumrah & Shami March On !The game hangs in balance again as Bumrah and Shami carry on with the batJames Anderson has been brought into the attackIndia are 250/8 after 100 overs and lead by 223 runs
- 16:48 (IST)Moeen Ali Into The Attack !Moeen Ali has been brought into the attack nowJoe Root doesn't look really happy with the flow of runs after Pant's dismissalIND 237/8 after 97 overs - Lead by 210 runs