The Ashes: George Bailey warns Australia against complacency in 3rd Test at Perth
The 31-year-old George Bailey, who made his Test debut only last month, is looking to improve on the 53 he made on the batting-friendly Adelaide wicket in the second Test when he was dismissed just before stumps on the first day.
Australia batsman George Bailey played down expectations that an Ashes-series clinching win in the third Test in Perth is a formality.
Australia leads the five-Test series 2-0 after convincing wins in Brisbane and Adelaide, thanks largely to the express bowling of left-arm paceman Mitchell Johnson. The fast and bouncy WACA pitch is expected to only heighten Johnson's impact. (Read: Mitchell Johnson can bowl faster, says Australia bowling coach)
However, Bailey said Australia couldn't afford to be complacent heading into the Test starting on Friday.
"I think it would be a bit naive of us to suddenly think that we had any sort of advantage over them," Bailey said of England, who won the last Ashes series 3-0 this year.
"We've played really good cricket and we've had even contributions from so many players, and that's been really important. But it's been very much drilled into us that we've only won two Tests in 12 months."
The 31-year-old Bailey, who made his Test debut only last month, is looking to improve on the 53 he made on the batting-friendly Adelaide wicket in the second Test when he was dismissed just before stumps on the first day.
"It was a bit frustrating really. It was a beautiful batting wicket and Michael (Clarke) and I had wrested the momentum back," Bailey said.
"So for me to get out late in the day, it left the innings in a bit of a precarious position. ... But my scores are going up, so hopefully that continues."