India vs England, 3rd Test, Day 2 Highlights: Joe Root's 121 Gives England 345-Run Lead At Stumps
IND vs ENG Highlights: Captain Joe Root scored his 23rd Test century but fell soon after as India fought back well at Stumps in the last session on the second day of the third Test at Headingley in Leeds.
Skipper Joe Root frustrated the Indian bowlers with yet another century, his 23rd in Tests, but was soon dismissed by Jasprit Bumrah in the final session on the second day of the third Test at Headingley in Leeds. England lost wickets in quick succession in the final hour as India fought back strongly with the hosts placed at 423/8 after 129 overs with a lead of 345 runs at Stumps. Earlier, Mohammed Siraj struck gold as he removed Dawid Malan right on the stroke of Tea. India got the much-needed breakthroughs of openers Rory Burns and Haseeb Hameed as pacer Shami and all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja went through the defences of the English batsmen. Both Hameed and Burns looked solid at the start of the second day's play but the latter was castled by a Shami delivery that came in. England dominated the first day at Headingley as India were bundled out for 78 in their first innings on Wednesday. (SCORECARD)
India vs England, 3rd Test, Day 2 Highlights From Headingley, Leeds
- 23:05 (IST)Stumps On Day 2 !Stumps - Day 2England end the day with a lead of 345 runs with 2 wickets still in handIndia fought back well with wickets at regular intervals but England scored at a healthy run-rate throughout the dayENG 423/8 after 129 oversCraig Overton 24*Ollie Robinson 0*That's all from the Live Blog todayDo join us for Day 3 action tomorrow, till then- Goodbye and take care !
- 21:46 (IST)Wicket - Shami Gets Buttler !Buttler departs for just 7 runs as Shami strikes again in the final sessionENG 360/5 after 111.3 overs - Lead by 282 runsMoeen Ali join skipper Root in the middle
- 21:10 (IST)100 For Joe Root !Yet another 100 for Joe Root as he puts England in a strong positionENG 333/3 after 103.2 overs - Lead by 255 runs
- 20:15 (IST)Tea Taken !Tea - Day 2India have got rid of Dawid Malan at the stroke of Tea while Joe Root (80*) continues to pile on runsENG 298/3 after 94 overs - Lead by 220 runs
Mohammed Siraj scalps Dawid Malan at the stroke of tea— ICC (@ICC) August 26, 2021
England head into the break at 298/3, 220 runs ahead of India's first innings total.#WTC23 | #ENGvIND | https://t.co/qmnhRciFiz pic.twitter.com/5b6Wvw6IPn
- 19:28 (IST)50 For Dawid Malan !Malan reaches his 7th Test fifty and looks good to continue for moreENG 257/2 after 85.3 overs - Lead by 179 runs
- 19:07 (IST)50 For Root !Joe Root hits a beautiful backfoot punch for a boundary to bring yet another 50What a year this player is havingENG 236/2 after 81.2 overs - Lead by 158 runs
- 17:36 (IST)Lunch Taken !Lunch - Day 2India got both openers Burns and Hameed in the first session on second day but England continued to score to take the lead past 100 runsRoot and Malan looked solid when Lunch was takenENG 182/2 after 68 overs - Lead by 104 runs
- 17:11 (IST)Wicket - Jadeja Gets Hameed !Ravindra Jadeja beats Hameed's defence to castle the opener for 68 runs off 195 deliveriesENG 159/2 after 63 overs - Lead by 81 runs
WICKET!— BCCI (@BCCI) August 26, 2021
Like Burns, Hameed too is bowled as @imjadeja takes his first wicket of the match and the series. England are 159-2. Captain Root is the new man in.
Live - https://t.co/FChN8SV3VR #ENGvIND pic.twitter.com/hVenA8Hweh