IND vs ENG, 1st Test, Day 4 Highlights: India Lose KL Rahul In 209-Run Chase, Need 157 To Win On Day 5
India vs England, 1st Test, Day 4 Highlights: Stuart Broad struck to remove KL Rahul as India lost one wicket before Stumps to finish on 52/1, needing 157 runs to win on the final day.
India finished Day 4 on 52 for 1, still needing 157 runs to win the Test on the final day. Stuart Broad got KL Rahul caught behind after Rahul and Rohit Sharma gave India a steady start in their chase. Cheteshwar Pujara accompanied Rohit Sharma at Stumps. England set India a target of 209 runs to win the first Test at Trent Bridge. Joe Root starred for the hosts with a splendid 109 as England's batsmen kept India on the field for most parts of Day 4. For India, Jasprit Bumrah picked up a five-wicket haul while Mohammed Siraj and Shardul Thakur got two wickets each. Root got his 21st Test hundred with a straight drive for four off Shardul Thakur in the third session and broke into ecstatic celebrations. Root and Dom Sibley's 89-run partnership for the third wicket helped England get a lead in the second innings after having conceded a first-innings lead in the Test. India posted 278 runs in the first innings in response to England's 183, taking a lead of 95 runs. (SCORECARD)
1st Test, Day 4, Highlights, India (IND) vs England (ENG) From Trent Bridge, Nottingham
- 23:44 (IST)Day 4: STUMPSRobinson to Pujara, FOUR runs to end Day 4STUMPSGood day of Test cricket it was!Jasprit Bumrah picked up five wickets while Joe Root scored a brilliant century under pressure. Indian openers started things well in 209 run-chase but then KL Rahul (28) got out to Stuart Broad(1/18). India need 157 more runs to win the first Test match against England and take 1-0 lead in the 5-match series. While England bowlers know that it will not be an easy job for Indian batsmen in the fourth innings and if they get few more wicket early on Day 5 then the hosts will be back in the dominating position.That's all from England vs India Day 4 blog. Do join us on fifth and final day tomorrow where we will get the conclusion of this game.England 183/10 and 303/10India 278/10 and 52/1- need 157 runs to win
- 23:15 (IST)Rahul OUT!Broad to Rahul, edge and caught by wicket-keeper Jos Buttler. Short innings but it was a confident innings from the Indian opener.Rahul c Buttler b Broad 26(38)India 34/1, need 175 runs to win
- 22:17 (IST)India Need 209 Runs To Win!Shami to Robinson, out good catch by RahaneRobinson c Rahane b Shami 15(12)England all for 303 runs in the second innings. India need 209 runs to win the first Test match.England 303/10 in second innings, lead by 208 runsJoe Root- 109Sam Curran- 32Jasprit Bumrah- 5/64Shardul Thakur- 2/37India 209 need runs to win
- 21:43 (IST)ROOT OUT!Bumrah to Root, OUT caught behind. Big wicket for India and what a brilliant delivery it was from Jasprit Bumrah even the set batsman failed to pick the line. Third wicket for Bumrah and fourth catch by Rishabh Pant in this innings. The new ball has done the job for India. Root departs after a match defining innings.Root c Pant b Bumrah 109(172)England 274/7, lead by 179 runs.
- 21:33 (IST)Root At His Best!Joe Root has proven himself as best middle-order batsman in world cricket. Brilliant century from the English captain! This was his sixth Test century against India.Most centuries for England against India in Test cricket:Alastair Cook- 7 centuries in 54 inningsKevin Petersen- 6 centuries in 28 inningsJoe Root*- 6 centuries in 38 inningsIan Botham- 5 centuries in 17 inningsGraham Gooch- 5 centuries in 33 innings
- 21:16 (IST)Century For Root!Thakur to Root, FOUR, to long-on. Joe Root gets to his 21st Test century and what a way to bring it. He came to bat when his team needed him the most and played his top class innings under pressure. Fourth hundred for him in this calendar year.England 252/6, lead by 157 runs
- 20:52 (IST)WICKET!Thakur to Buttler, OUT BOWLED. Second wicket for Shardul Thakur in this innings.\Buttler b Thakur 17(22)England need more 100 runs to put pressure on the Indian batting lineup on the last day of the Test match but captain Joe Root can't do all by his own.England 237/6, lead by 142 runs.
- 19:56 (IST)100 Runs!Single and here it is 100 runs lead for England. Indian bowlers have dominated the English batsmen in this game but they failed to stop the scoreboard going and if England score another 150 runs then definitely it will be a difficult task for India in the fourth innings while chasing the target. India need few more wicket and specially Joe Root's wicket.England 195/4, lead by 100 runs