Shane Warne has given the strongest indication yet that he could play in the Big Bash League this summer, five years after he last played competitive cricket in Australia. Warne, who will be 42 by the time the tournament starts, said he was weighing up offers from three sides, and he had been approached to be a BBL ambassador, consultant and player.
"You know what, there is probably a possibility that I might play," Warne said on the Melbourne radio station 3AW. "I might be involved in some level on the Twenty20, but I'm sort of mulling over all those things at the moment with some business opportunities and some sponsorships as well."
Warne, who retired from the IPL earlier this year, said his family remained his priority and he was uncertain how much time he could give to the BBL. If he was to play it would be a major boost for the new tournament, whose drawcards include Chris Gayle, Shahid Afridi, Brendon McCullum and Matthew Hayden, who has come out of retirement to play for the Brisbane Heat.
The eight city-based sides have until December 9 to finalise their 18-man squads, before the tournament begins a week later. Sydney Thunder have named all their players already, while the rest of the sides have some space left on their rosters.