England vs Pakistan 2nd Test Highlights: England On Top After Rain Dominates Opening Day's Play
ENG vs PAK 2nd Test: Pakistan lost Abid Ali, Asad Shafiq and Fawad Alam before rain stopped play in the final session on Day 1.
England took three wickets in the final session before rain stopped play, reducing Pakistan to 126/5 at stumps on the rain-curtailed opening day of the second Test in Southampton on Thursday. Pakistan's top-scorer Abid Ali (60 runs) was the first one to depart after the tea break with Asad Shafiq and Fawad Alam following him in quick succession. While Shafiq scored five runs, Fawad Alam, who was playing his first Test match in 11 years, departed without troubling the scorers. Stuart Broad, Sam Curran and Chris Woakes accounted for the three dismissals in the final session that derailed Pakistan's innings. Overall, James Anderson was the pick of the English bowlers, picking up first two wickets. Earlier in the day, Azhar Ali won the toss and opted to bat but Pakistan got off to a poor start as they lost opener Shan Masood cheaply. England fast bowlers bowled probing line and lengths causing the visitors a lot of trouble. However, Abid Ali and Azhar Ali somehow managed to keep England bowlers at bay, helping Pakistan reach 65/1 at lunch. James Anderson got rid of Pakistan skipper Azhar Ali after lunch, who toiled hard for his 20 runs. (SCORECARD)
Highlights of England Vs Pakistan 2nd Test Day 1, straight from The Rose Bowl Stadium, Southampton
2nd Test, Pakistan in England, 3 Test Series, 2020, Aug 13, 2020
- 21:20 (IST)Chris Woakes traps Fawad Alam right in front!Fawad Alam's long wait for a Test comeback didn't last long as he was trapped right in front of the wicket by Chris Woakes and departed without troubling the scorers. The on-field umpires's decision was overturned by the TV umpire after replay suggested three reds.
- 20:49 (IST)Abid Ali departs for 60!Sam Curran draws an outside edge from Abid Ali and this time Rory Burns makes no mistake and grabs it with both hands, sending Pakistan opener back to the pavillion.
- 18:38 (IST)WICKET! Anderson strikes again!James Anderson strikes again as he gets Pakistan skipper Azhar Ali caught at second slip, who goes for 20 runs. After all the hard work upfront, Azhar Ali's innings came in an end in another disappointing manner.
- 17:20 (IST)Covers are on! Lunch has been taken!10 minutes from lunch and it started drizzling and the umpires have signalled the ground staff to bring in the covers. The umpires have decided to take an early lunch and Pakistan must be the happier of the two sides as they did well to see off the morning session losing just one wicket.
- 15:42 (IST)Anderson strikes to give England early breakthrough!WICKET! James Anderson traps Shan Masood in front of the stumps and England have their first breakthrough. Pakistan 6/1. The classic swinging delivery from Anderson and as soon as it hit his pad Masood knew he was gone.