IND vs AUS, 2nd Test, Day 2 Highlights: Centurion Ajinkya Rahane Stands Tall As India Take 82-Run Lead
India vs Australia Test Highlights: Having started Day 2 on 36/1, India finished on 277/5 at the MCG following an unbeaten century from Ajinkya Rahane.
India dominated Day 2 of the Boxing Day Test against Australia, with play brought to an end early due to rain. Skipper Ajinkya Rahane scored his 12th Test century, remaining unbeaten on 104. The 32-year-old further stitched an unbeaten partnership of 104 runs with Ravindra Jadeja (40*), helping the visitors take a lead of 82 runs. Action on Day 2 kicked off with overnight batsmen Shubman Gill and Cheteshwar Pujara looking confident initially, although they also had some luck. Just when it seemed like the initial spells were seen off, Pat Cummins struck to dismiss the duo. Gill was dismissed for 45 runs off 65 deliveries by Cummins, following an edge which carried to Tim Paine. The pacer further accounted for the wicket of Pujara, with Paine pulling off a fine one-handed catch. Rahane and Hanuma Vihari helped the visitors rebuild before the latter was dismissed for 21, handing a catch to Steve Smith off Nathan Lyon. Rishabh Pant departed for a well-made 29, with Paine completing a catch to register his 150th dismissal in Test cricket. The Australia skipper is the fastest wicketkeeper to affect 150 dismissals in Tests. However, Rahane continued to battle it out with Jadeja providing solid support at the other end. (SCORECARD)
2nd Test, Day 2 Highlights Between Australia (AUS) vs India (IND), Straight From Melbourne Cricket Ground
- 12:49 (IST)Stumps on Day 2Day 2 has ended with India enjoying a lead of 82 runs, having finished with a score of 277/5 in 91.3 overs. Ajinkya Rahane scored a ton with Ravindra Jadeja providing support at the other end, to help the visitors take control following the loss of wickets at regular intervals.
Another dominant day of Test cricket for #TeamIndia.— BCCI (@BCCI) December 27, 2020
It was a day that is undoubtedly headlined by Captain @ajinkyarahane88, whose century (104* off 200) will go down as one of the best by an Indian captain on foreign soil.#TeamIndia 277/5 (Rahane 104*, Jadeja 40*) pic.twitter.com/zwuHWWHYjP
- 12:32 (IST)Rain halts playAjinkya Rahane hurt his hand following the short delivery from Mitchell Starc, with the physio out to take a look. During this duration, the groundsmen were forced to come running in as rain stopped play.
- 12:30 (IST)Ajinkya Rahane dropped by Travis HeadAjinkya Rahane survives as Travis Head fails to complete a diving catch. Rahane failed to negotiate a bouncer from Mitchell Starc, top-edging the ball in front of backward point. Head attempted to dive, almost completing the catch before the ball popped out at the last moment.
- 12:17 (IST)FOUR!Ajinkya Rahane brings up the 100-run stand with Ravindra Jadeja, following his 12th boundary of the innings. Rahane played a fine cover drive, hitting the ball with conviction.
- 12:08 (IST)Ajinkya Rahane hits his 12th Test centuryAjinkya Rahane has registered his 12th Test century, following a fine boundary off a cut through backward point. Rahane has now scored his 2nd ton at the MCG.
- 09:47 (IST)Time for Tea Break!It has started to rain, resulting in the decision to go for a Tea break. India are very close to taking a lead, following a half-century by Ajinkya Rahane.
- 09:33 (IST)Half-century for Ajinkya RahaneAjinkya Rahane completes his 23rd Test half-century, following a faint tickle down the leg-side for a boundary.
Captain @ajinkyarahane88 notches up a solid half-century, his 23rd in Tests. This is also the first individual fifty in the match.#TeamIndia are 180-5 and trail Australia by 15 runs. #AUSvIND pic.twitter.com/v5dSieWnCc— BCCI (@BCCI) December 27, 2020
- 09:08 (IST)Rishabh Pant dropped by Cameron GreenRishabh Pant has been dropped by Cameron Green on 26, following a thick edge off a fuller delivery by Pat Cummins. Green, the fielder at gully tried to dive to his left but could not hold on.