India vs Australia Women's T20 World Cup Highlights: India Upset Australia By 17 Runs In Sydney
Highlights, IND vs AUS Women's T20 World Cup: Poonam Yadav starred with the ball picking up four wickets which helped India beat defending champions Australia by 17 runs.
Wrist spinner Poonam Yadav returned with a four-wicket haul as India outwitted Australia by 17 runs in the opening match to make a resounding start to the Women's T20 World Cup in Sydney on Friday. Put into bat, India posted a below-par 132 for four in their stipulated 20 overs, riding on Shafali Verma's 15-ball 29 and an unbeaten 46-ball 49 from Deepti Sharma. However, the visitors then returned to bowl out the hosts for 115 in 19.5 overs. Australia were off to a good start to their chase with opener Alyssa Healy (51) making a 35-ball 51 laced with six boundaries and a six to anchor the chase initially. However, Indian spinners led by Poonam triggered a collapse as Australia suddenly slipped to 82 for six. Poonam (4/19) snapped four wickets, two in successive deliveries of the 12th over to break the backbone of Australia's chase. Ashleigh Gardner (34 off 36) tried her bit but didn't get any support from the other end. Earlier, India frittered away a flying start to post 132 for 4 against defending champions Australia at the Sydney Showground stadium here on Friday. Sent into bat, opener Shafali blasted 29 off 15 balls studded with five fours and a six but Jess Jonassen (2/24) took two wickets to reduce India to 47 for three. Deepti (49 not out) and Jemimah Rodrigues (26) then added 53 runs to bring up the hundred. India will next take on Bangladesh at Perth on February 24. (SCORECARD)
Highlights India vs Australia ICC Women's T20 World Cup, straight from Sydney Showground Stadium, Sydney
Match 1, ICC Women's T20 World Cup, 2020, Feb 21, 2020
- 16:53 (IST)Player of the match -- Poonam Yadav!Poonam Yadav gets the played of the match award for her brilliant bowling spell which turned the match on its head.
A game-changing spell by @poonam_yadav24 turned this contest on its head.— T20 World Cup (@T20WorldCup) February 21, 2020
The best figures by an overseas spinner in a women's T20I played in Australia!#T20WorldCup | #AUSvIND | #TeamIndia pic.twitter.com/kuPVFFGwXQ
- 16:40 (IST)Australia bundle for 115 in 19.5 overs! India win by 17 runs!Australia bundle for 115 runs on the penultimate delivery to hand India a 17-run win in the first match of ICC Women's T20 World Cup.
- 14:27 (IST)Majority of runs scored in ones and twos!Since 9th over onwards, one thing this pair has done exceedingly well is the rotation of strike by picking up single and doubles, ensuring they collect at least six runs, if not more, in each of those overs.
- 14:03 (IST)Huge blow to India! Skipper Harmanpreet Kaur departs!Harmanpreet Kaur charges down the track but fails to connect and the ball crashes on to the stumps as India lose third wicket for 47 runs.
- 14:00 (IST)Australia bowlers pull things back! India 46/2 after 6 overs!Australian bowlers have pulled things back in last couple of overs as they dismissed India's both openers after they got the side off to a solid start. They gave awayu only six runs in the last two overs as India finished powerplay at 46/2.