ITF calls off seniors tennis event in New Zealand

Updated: 23 February 2011 18:04 IST

A seniors tennis tournament in New Zealand had been called off following the earthquake in Christchurch.

London:

A seniors tennis tournament in New Zealand had been called off following the earthquake in Christchurch.

The International Tennis Federation says organizers of the Seniors World Individual Championships will "make every effort to ensure the safe return home for all participants."

At least 75 people were killed on Tuesday in one of New Zealand's worst natural disasters, which toppled tall buildings and crushed buses.

ITF President Francesco Ricci Bitti said on Wednesday, "While we are, of course, relieved that all the players, captains and officials who were in Christchurch this week are safe, we are mindful of the loss of life and the large number of injuries."

The Seniors World Team Championships in nearby Timaru and Ashburton will go ahead as scheduled.

Topics : Tennis Andy Roddick Lukas Dlouhy Rohan Bopanna Leander Paes Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi Maria Sharapova
Related Articles
Chennai Open Renamed Maharashtra Open, To Be Held In Pune From 2018
Chennai Open Renamed Maharashtra Open, To Be Held In Pune From 2018
Possible Wimbledon Match-Fixing Under Investigation by Tennis Anti-Corruption Body
Possible Wimbledon Match-Fixing Under Investigation by Tennis Anti-Corruption Body
Virender Sehwag Admires Roger Federer's Love For Cows
Virender Sehwag Admires Roger Federer's Love For Cows
Show Comments
Advertisement