The Board of Control for cricket in India has defended the decision not to play Parvez Rasool in the 5th ODI in Bulawayo on Saturday. Reacting to Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah's tweet that off spinner Rasool got a raw deal, BCCI vice president Rajeev Shukla said "Selecting a player for a match depends on many conditions and it is a call taken by the team management. When someone gets selected in team india it is a very big achievement. Rasool has been selected because of his hard work. It is the team management, captain and coach to decide the playing eleven depending on playing conditions. There is no need to worry as Rasool will definitely get his chance."
Earlier on Saturday, Omar urged the BCCI to give Rasool a chance to prove himself.
"Come on BCCI give the young man (Rasool) a chance to prove himself," he wrote on his twitter page.
"Did you really have to take him all the way to Zimbabwe to demoralise him? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just do it at home?" he tweeted.
The Chief Minister, an avid cricket follower, had expressed disappointment that the Jammu and Kashmir cricketer has not been given a game even though India has taken an unassailable lead in five-match the ODI series. Read: Rasool left out
"Really disappointed that Parvez Rasool hasn't been given a game in Zimbabwe," he said. Read: Give Rasool a chance says Omar Abdullah
Rasool is the only member of the 15-member squad who has not seen any action so far. Ajinkya Rahane was warming the bench alongside Rasool but the opening batsman got his chance in Saturday's game.
Rasool shot to fame with a brilliant all-round performance in the Ranji Trophy last season by scoring 594 vruns and grabbing 33 wickets.
His selection to national squad was fast-tracked after he took seven wickets in one innings of a tour game against visiting Australians earlier this year.
(With inputs from PTI)