Sachin Tendulkar is reportedly displeased with the frenzied celebrations surrounding his 199th Test - starting at the Eden Gardens from Wednesday. While he may consider the game to be bigger than an individual, Cricket Association of Bengal has gone several extra miles to make the event memorable. Here are the highlights of the Sachin Tendulkar mania in Kolkata:
* Miss You Sachin - an album by a city-based artist - will be played at the ground during the course of the 1st Test match against West Indies.
* A photo exhibition of 100 images depicting highlights of Tendulkar's career was unveiled on Monday.
* Three light aircrafts will shower 199 kgs of rose petals after the proceedings on the final day of the Test. The player, on arrival in the city, was greeted with 199 roses as well.
* Tendulkar will be presented by a silver 'banyan' tree with 199 gold leaves at a function.
* A specially designed gold coin - with Tendulkar's head shot - will be used for the toss. Permission yet to be sought for it.
* A huge wax statute of Tendulkar has been placed just outside the dressing room.
* Massive cut-outs of Tendulkar have been put up around the Eden Gadens.
* A famous sweet shop in the city has made a 2.3 kg shondesh showing Tendulkar with his bat. Another restaurant has a menu named after the player.
* A tableau in honour of Tendulkar was flagged off on Sunday and this will travel all around the city till the final day of the Test match.
* It has been planned that 200 giant screens will be placed all around the city.
* Special placards will be placed on every seat and when raised together by spectators, will show a giant Tendulkar image from an aerial view.
* Match tickets have been printed with image of the legendary cricketer.
* Brochures highlighting Tendulkar's achievements will be distributed at the venue on the opening day of the Test.
* Some reports suggest plans of 199 night lanterns floating in the air on Day 3 of the Test.
While many are considering all these arrangements as outrightly excessive, Tendulkar himself isn't too pleased either. "I heard that Tendulkar was upset with the confetti burst and other things. He also cancelled his visit to a photo exhibition at the Bhowanipore Tent," CAB's senior joint secretary Sujan Mukherjee was quoted as saying by PTI. (Read full report here)
Note: The image above is from Moradabad where students painted their faces to express their regard for Sachin Tendulkar. Image courtesy PTI.