The ICC on Tuesday expressed its condolences and sympathy to the victims of the earthquake that rocked Christchurch, New Zealand, claiming several lives and leaving many homeless.
"At times like this, sport can only offer its support and its deepest sympathy to those who have lost loved ones during such a tragedy," ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said.
"It's a helpless feeling but I will be discussing with the organisers of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 how we can most appropriately remember those who lost their lives or have been injured and affected when the Black Caps play their next match against Australia in Nagpur on Friday," he added.
Lorgat also expressed concerns for the New Zealand Cricket whose offices have been badly affected by the earthquake that has left at least 65 dead so far.
"We have already contacted the New Zealand Cricket's Chief Executive Dr Justin Vaughan to express our concern for him, his staff and the people of Christchurch. The news we have is that the NZC offices have been severely damaged but thankfully everyone who works for NZC seems to have escaped without injury," he said.
"On behalf of everyone at the ICC and the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 we send our heartfelt condolences," he added.
In one of the country's worst natural disasters, a 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck New Zealand's southern city of Christchurch early today, crushing buildings and leaving hundreds of people trapped and screaming for help.