Karun Nair after scoring his maiden triple ton in India vs England fifth Test. © BCCI
Here are top things to know about Karun Nair and his feat:
- Karun Nair, playing only his third Test match, scored 303* in 381 balls. His innings included 32 fours and four sixes.
- Karun Nair's score is the highest ever by an Indian against England in Tests. It is also the highest score by an Indian batting at the No. 5 slot, surpassing MS Dhoni's 224 vs Australia in 2013.
- Karun Nair today ended an eight-year-long wait by India for a triple century. Virender Sehwag had last scored a triple ton in 2008 against South Africa. Sehwag also scored a triple century against Pakistan in 2004.
- Karun Nair's 303* helped India score 759/7d against England. This is India's highest-ever score in Tests - surpassing 726/9 against Sri Lanka.
- Karun Nair made his Test debut during the 3rd Test of the ongoing series vs England in Mohali.
- The right-handed batsman had made his ODI debut earlier this year against Zimbabwe on June 11.
- Karun Nair plays for Karnataka in the domestic circuit and has 2862 runs in 39 first-class matches. He played a key role in the team's back-to-back Ranji Trophy triumphs in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.
- Karun Nair was born in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, on December 6, 1991. He turned 25 last week.
- Karun Nair made his debut in the Indian Premier League playing for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the 2013 season.
- He later also played for the Rajasthan Royals and currently playing for the Delhi Daredevils.