Japan vs Croatia FIFA World Cup 2022 Highlights: Croatia Edge Japan 3-1 (1-1) On Penalties To Enter Quarters
FIFA World Cup 2022, Japan vs Croatia Highlights: Croatia defeated Japan 3-1 (1-1) in penalty shootout to book quarter-finals berth.
FIFA World Cup 2022, Japan vs Croatia, Round of 16:Both Japan and Croatia squandered a few early opportunities to score. But, just minutes before the half-time whistle, Daizen Maeda opened the scoring for Japan from a well-worked corner kick. Early into the second-half, Ivan Perisic put Croatia level 1-1 through a terrific header. The two teams couldn't be separated in 90 minutes, pushing the match into extra-time for the first time in this edition of the FIFA World Cup. Even in the extra-time, the two teams couldn't be separated. The Croatian goalkeeper stepped up in the shootout as his side secured a 3-1 (1-1) win in the penalty shootout. (Matchcentre)
Here are the Highlights of the FIFA World Cup 2022, Round of 16 football match between Japan vs Croatia, straight from Al Janoub Stadium:
- 23:22 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Thank YouThat's it for now guys. Please do join us for the live coverage of the Round of 16 match between Brazil and South Korea.
- 23:21 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Croatia beat JapanMario Pasalic successfully dodges the goalkeeper as Croatia defeat Japan 3-1 (1-1) in penalties, to storm into the quarterfinals of the FIFA World Cup 2022. Japan too had a great outing in the game but the thrilling round of penalties resulted in favor of Croatia.
- 23:19 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Japan miss the penaltyHere we go again! Japan once again fail to get a score out of the penalty. This time their captain Maya Yoshida fails to hit the target as Japan are in jeopardy.
- 23:17 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Croatia miss the penaltyMarko Livaja fails to hit the bull's eye as his shot completely deflects and goes into the left post. The game turns thrilling as both sides are eyeing the quarterfinals spot.
- 23:16 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Japan get the goalAfter two failed attempts, Japan finally hit the target and get their first goal of the penalties. Takuma Asano he brilliantly unleashes the ball into the right post.
- 23:14 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Croatia hit the penaltyCroatia are dominating the proceedings as they have hit their second goal in the penalties. Marcelo Brozovic perfectly places the ball into the nets, to give his side their second goal.
- 23:11 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Japan miss the penaltyJapan in tense situation as Kaoru Mitoma also fails to hit the target and give his side a goal.
- 23:10 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Nikola Vlasic hits the penaltyCroatia hit the target in their first penalty as Nikola Vlasic comfortably places the ball in the nets. Croatia take the lead.
- 23:09 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Croatia save first penaltyJapan take the first penalty shoot which was comfortably saved by Takumi Minamino, who failed to give his side a good start.
- 23:05 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Extra-time up. Time for penaltiesThe 30 minutes of extra time are over but the scores are still levelled at 1-1. The outcome of the Round of 16 match between Japan and Croatia will now be decided through the penalties. Stay tuned for live updates.
- 23:00 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Yellow card to Borna BarisicReferee Ismail Elfath shows a yellow card to Croatia's Borna Barisic after he roughly brings an opponent down during a tackle.
- 22:55 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Croatia miss the cornerMislav Orsic takes the corner-kick but Japan goalkeeper Shuichi Gonda easily gets the hold of the ball and denies a goal to Croatia.
- 22:48 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Second-half beginsThe second-half of the extra time begins with Croatia taking the ball. Ante Budimir is replaced by Marko Livaja in Croatia's lineup.
- 22:46 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: First-half of extra timeThis marks the end of the first 15 minutes of the extra time. Both sides now have the last 15 minutes to score, or the game will into the penalty shootouts. Stay tuned for live updates.
- 22:44 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Good save from Dominik LivakovicJapan's Kaoru Mitoma unleashes a brilliant shot towards the target from the edge of the box. However, Croatia goalkeeper Dominik Livakovic successfully averts it to deny Japan another goal.
- 22:39 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Croatia make changesIn the extra time, Croatia replace their captain Luka Modric with Lovro Majer in their lineup. On the other hand, Nikola Vlasic replaces Mateo Kovacic.
- 22:34 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Mario Pasalic picks up an injuryCroati's Mario Pasalic picks up an injury after he collides with an opponent during a tackle. He calls in for medical help, which declares him fit to play.
- 22:29 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Extra time beginsThe extra time of 30 minutes has begun. Both the sides have now got another opportunity to score and take the lead, to enter the quarterfinals stage.
- 22:23 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Full timeThe Round of 16 match between Japan and Croatia ends in 1-1 draw. The outcome of this match will now be decided in the extra-time. Stay tuned for the live updates.
- 22:20 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: 4 mins stoppage timeThe stoppage time for the second-half of the Round of 16 match between Japan and Croatia is 4 minutes. The scores are levelled at 1-1 and we just might witness the first extra time of FIFA World Cup 2022.
- 22:17 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Croatia enjoying possessionThe tables have turned in the second-half. Croatia are having the majority of the possession and exchanging short passes amongst themselves. They are now eager to take the lead as the game hs reached it's dying stage.
- 22:11 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Ivan Perisic misses the targetCroatia's Ivan Perisic produces a good effort which goes wide of the left post. Croatia miss out on a good opportunity to take a lead over Japan.
- 21:59 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Japan make changesAs the scores are levelled at 1-1, Japan replaces Daizen Maeda with Takuma Asano in their lineup. Apart from him, Yuto Nagatomo gets replaced by Kaoru Mitoma.
- 21:55 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Good save from Shuichi GondaWhat a save!!! Luka Modric unleashes a fiery shot towards the target, which looks like an easy goal. However, his happiness gets cut-short as Japan goalkeeper Shuichi Gonda brilliantly saves it.
- 21:52 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Hard luck for Ritsu DoanRitsu Doan produces from the edge of the box but his shot lacks power and it gets easily saved by Croatia goalkeeper Dominik Livakovic. Scores are levelled at 1-1.
- 21:46 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: GOALGOAL!!! After some failed attempts, Croatia finally open their account and level scores with Japan. Ivan Perisic receives a pass from Dejan Lovren and unleashes a header towards the target, to give his side their first breakthrough.
- 21:42 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: No goal for Mateo KovacicCroatia's Mateo Kovacic unleashes a brilliant shot towards the goal but the ball just flies away from the left post. Japan get a goal-kick.
- 21:35 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: We are back underwayHello and welcome to our live coverage of the second-half of the Round of 16 match between Japan and Croatia. Japan are in 1-0 lead so far.
- 21:19 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Half-timeThis marks the end of the first-half of the Round of 16 match between Japan and Croatia. Japan are in 1-0 lead after Daizen Maeda produced a goal in the 45th minute, to take his side ahead in the game. Croatia need to bounce back in the second-half.
- 21:16 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: GOALGOAL!!! Japan finally open their score tally with Daizen Maeda producing a low shot, which dodges the goalkeeper and hits the target. Japan take 1-0 lead over Croatia in the 45th minute.
- 21:13 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Daichi Kamada misses the targetJapan's Daichi Kamada perfectly crosses the defenders and gets in a comfortable position in front of the goal. Unfortunately, his efforts goes in vain as the ball goes over the bar.
- 21:05 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Japan showing dominationJapan are having a tight grip over Croatia on the field. The players are smoothly exchanging the passes and trying to create a golden opportunity to goal.
- 21:03 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Good defence from JapanCroatia's Josip Juranovic successfully brings the ball close to the target but Japan defenders easily dodge the coming danger and deny Croatia a valuable goal.
- 20:56 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Josko Gvardiol misses the targetCroatia's Josko Gvardiol produces a slow shot which goes over the bar from the edge of the box. Both the teams are still struggling to register the first goal of the night.
- 20:49 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Foul by Josko GvardiolReferee Ismail Elfath signals a foul after Croatia's Josko Gvardiol commits a rough tackle on the field. Japan get a free-kick due to Gvardiol's foul.
- 20:44 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Good save from Shuichi GondaJapan goalkeeper Shuichi Gonda showcases brilliant skills to deny Croatia as easy goal. Croatia's Ivan Perisic unleashes a shot towards the left side of the goal but Gonda successfully saves it.
- 20:39 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Croatia enjoying possessionCroatia are keeping the majority of the possession. The players are exchanging short passes as they are in desperate search of a goal.
- 20:37 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Japan miss the targetJapan's Shogo Taniguchi receives a good pass and unleashes a header towards the target. However, the ball goes wide of the left post and Japan miss out on a good opportunity.
- 20:31 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: We are underwayThe Round of 16 match between Japan and Croatia begins with Mateo Kovacic producing a brilliant pass.
- 20:07 (IST)Japan vs Croatia, LIVE: Croatia are all set
#Croatia is eager to start. Are you? #JPNCRO #FIFAWorldCup #Qatar2022 #Vatrenipic.twitter.com/KfJd6Rkk5x— HNS (@HNS_CFF) December 5, 2022