Argentina vs Saudi Arabia FIFA World Cup 2022 Highlights: Lionel Messi's Argentina Shocked As Saudi Arabia Win 2-1
FIFA World Cup 2022, Argentina vs Saudi Arabia Highlights: Lionel Messi's Argentina stumbled to a shock 1-2 defeat against Saudi Arabia
Argentina vs Saudi Arabia, FIFA World Cup, Highlights: Lionel Messi's Argentina stumbled to a shock 1-2 defeat against Saudi Arabia and hence their tournament started on the worst note possible. Just minutes into the second half, Saudi Arabia scored a stunning equaliser through Saleh Al Shehri and then Salem Al Dawsari doubled the lead for his side, courtesy of a brilliant solo goal. Earlier in the first half, Lionel Messi opened the scoring from the spot after VAR intervention saw Argentina earn a penalty against Saudi Arabia. Both Messi and Lautaro Martinez have seen multiple goals being denied by offside flags. Credit to Saudi Arabia for not letting the game go out of their hands at half-time, with Argentina only being 1-0 up at the break. (Matchcentre)
Here are the Highlights of the FIFA World Cup 2022, Football Match between Argentina and Saudi Arabia straight from Lusail Stadium
- 17:37 (IST)FIFA World Cup Live: Saudi Arabia winWhat a match and what a result! Saudi Arabia stun Argentina 2-1. The worst possible start for Lionel Messi and his team!Saudi Arabia have done the unthinkable!
- 17:25 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Saudi Arabia giving absolutely everythingSaudi Arabia are putting bodies on the line to ensure that they keep the 1-goal lead. Argentina are frustrated with the lack of clear chances.
- 17:22 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Argentina running out of timeMore bookings in the final moments of the game. Saudi Arabia even substituting the substitute Nawaf Al Abed. Only a few minutes to go before the injury time kick-in.
- 17:13 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia: Poor free-kick from MessiLionel Messi with an opportunity to score from a direct free-kick. His effort, however, is an ordinary one that is way off target. One of the players from Saudi Arabia, on the other hand, has been cautioned for aggressive play.
- 17:07 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: More pressure from ArgentinaArgentina constantly building pressure in the search of a goalscoring chance. But, the Saudi Arabia defence has done a stupendous job so far. The hunt goes on!
- 17:02 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Saudi Arabia frustrating ArgentinaAbdulelah Al Malki gets a yellow card, having tested the patience of the referee for a long time. Argentina building attacks consistently but the end product just hasn't been good enough.
- 16:57 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia: SAVE by Saudi ArabiaNicolas Tagliafico's effort from point-blank range saved by the Saudi Arabia goalkeeper. Argentina almost pulled themselves level but Al Owais was standing tall between the sticks.
- 16:53 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Substitution for ArgentinaEnzo Fernandez on for Leandro Paredes as Argentina look to make a comeback in the game, having seen themselves go 1-goal behind early in the second half.
- 16:47 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Saudi Arabia score 2ndSaudi Arabia are showing the world that they aren't inferior to anyone. A brilliant Salem Al Dawsari dazzles past 3-4 Argentinian defenders to put the ball past Martinez, into the top-right corner. Absolutely stunning scenes.
- 16:42 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: GOAL for Saudi ArabiaAgainst the run of play, Saudi Arabia score a glorious goal to pull themselves level 1-1. Emiliano Martinez couldn't get his hand down in time. Saleh Al Shehri with the goal.
- 16:30 (IST)Qatar World Cup: New record for MessiRECORD ALERT| With his first-half strike, Lionel Messi has become the first player to score in four different World Cup tournaments for Argentina.
- 16:22 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Argentina lead 1-0 at half-timeThat's the half-time whistle. Argentina could've been 3-0 or 4-0 up but offside calls kept coming in their way, chalking off goals. They might need to up the intensity a little in the second-half as a 1-0 lead is never comfortable.
- 16:14 (IST)FIFA World Cup: De Paul's shot goes over the crossbarLionel Messi puts in a luscious free-kick from the left. Saudi Arabia defenders clear the ball, giving Rodrigo de Paul an opportunity to score from rebound but his effort goes way over the crossbar.
- 16:07 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia LIVE: Lautaro Martinez offside againArgentina striker Lautaro Martinez put the ball in the back of the net but the offside flag denied him this goal as well. The Inter Milan striker has been denied two goals so far.
- 16:05 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia: KSA struggling for goalscoring chancesSaudi Arabia putting in hopeful crosses into the box but the Argentina defence isn't letting them get anywhere near to the goal. For the moment, Argentina look in absolute control.
- 16:00 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia: Lautaro Martinez offsideLautaro Martinez almost doubled Argentina's lead with a beautiful lob over the goalkeeper. But, VAR intervened again, suggesting Martinez was offside. Hence, the goal was chalked off.
- 15:58 (IST)FIFA World Cup: Different year, same Lionel MessiIt is for the 4th time in a FIFA World Cup that Lionel Messi has scored. He had opened his account in 2006 but couldn't keep the streak going in 2010. But, he did score in 2014 and 2018.
2006— FIFA World Cup (@FIFAWorldCup) November 22, 2022
Messi becomes the first Argentinian to score in four World Cups! ✨#FIFAWorldCup | #Qatar2022 pic.twitter.com/lKzewHhVkV
- 15:54 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Messi with almost a secondLionel Messi seemed to have scored his and Argentina's second goal but the flag soon came up, dismissing the goal for OFFSIDE. Earlier, having scored the first goal, Messi had become the second-oldest player to score for Argentina in a World Cup.
- 15:50 (IST)Qatar World Cup LIVE: Saudi Arabia's move breaks downSaudi Arabia looked to build an attack from Saud Abdulhamid but his pass was intercepted by Emiliano Martinez and the move broke down.
- 15:46 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia: Messi's men controlling the tempoCourtesy of their accurate short passes, Argentina are controlling the tempo of the game excellently against Saudi Arabia, who seem to be chasing shadows at times.
- 15:42 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia: GOALLionel Messi opens the scoring for Argentina from the spot. VAR had to intervene to award La Albiceleste a spot-kick. Messi made no mistake from 12-yard distance.
- 15:39 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Penalty for ArgentinaVAR intervenes and Argentina are awarded a penalty so early in the game. It's time for Lionel Messi to open his goalscoring account in Qatar.
- 15:38 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Lionel Messi DazzlingLionel Messi has been showing his exquisite skills on the ball early in the game. Barring his shot that was saved, Argentina haven't yet created another scoring opportunity.
- 15:34 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia: Lionel Messi deniedLionel Messi with a chance so early in the game. But, the Saudi Arabia goalkeeper thwarts his effort that was on target. The score remains 0-0 for the moment.
- 15:32 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: We are underway in QatarArgentina are attacking from left to right. The midfield balance would be key to their goalscoring chances. Would Lionel Messi find the required help or would he have to drop deep?
- 15:28 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia: Moments away from kick-offWe are just moments away from seeing Argentina begin their 2022 FIFA World Cup journey in Qatar. Saudi Arabia would need to pull off something historic if they are to deny Lionel Messi's team a victory today.
- 15:20 (IST)FIFA World Cup: Is Qatar World Cup Argentina's to lose?Having won both the 2021 Copa América and the 2022 Finalissma titles, Argentina start the 2022 FIFA World Cup as one of the top favourites. But, the road ahead won't be as easy for them this time.
- 15:15 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: Recent ResultsArgentina are coming into the match having won their past 5 matches. Saudi Arabia, on the other hand, have only won one of their past 5 matches. La Albiceleste start as outright favourites.
- 15:11 (IST)FIFA World Cup LIVE: No WC title since 1986 for ArgentinaArgentina will be hoping to put an end to their quests for their first World Cup trophy since 1986. Lionel Messi, arguably the greatest player to play for the team, hasn't lifted the coveted trophy in his career and this will probably be the last opportunity for him.
- 15:02 (IST)Argentina vs Saudi Arabia: Lionel Messi startsLionel Messi starts on the right wing for Argentina. Here are the line-ups:Argentina XI: Martinez, Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Tagliafico, De Paul, Paredes, Papu Gomez; Messi, Martinez, Di MariaSaudi Arabia XI: Yasir, Ali Al Bulayhi, Hassan, Saud Abdulhamid; Salman, Salem, Kanno, Abdulelah, Feras; Saleh Al Shehri
- 14:40 (IST)FIFA World Cup: Hello and welcomeHello and welcome to our Live coverage of the FIFA World Cup match between Argentina and Saudi Arabia. Live action to begin at 3:30 PMStay tuned...