Ignored for the tour of India, controversial batsman Kevin Pietersen expects to be picked for England's next assignment in New Zealand even as former captain Andrew Strauss confirmed receiving an apology from him for the infamous text messages episode.
"Hoping all is sorted & I'm on the New Zealand tour in February," the 32-year-old Pietersen tweeted on Friday. Pietersen was overlooked for the November Test tour of India after his talks with the England and Wales Cricket Board fell apart.
The right-hander's future was left in disarray after he sent "provocative" text messages to the visiting South African players criticising his English teammates.
Meanwhile, the recently-retired Strauss said he has had a chat with Pietersen to clarify issues.
"We had a good chat and he apologised to me, which was great," Strauss, who retired from all forms of cricket last month, told 'BBC Radio 5'.
"It was good that we spoke and got a few things out in the open. We've always been good friends. It was an awkward time this summer for all sorts of people. I will have no problems meeting up with Kevin and having a beer with him, definitely.
"We've been through a lot together, we've had huge shared experiences, and nothing changes in that respect."
England's new captain Alastair Cook said he is hoping for Pietersen's return as and when issues are resolved.
"If the issues can be resolved, Kevin has said he is available for selection, but at the moment that can't happen."