No Relief for Delhi as High Court Defers its Decision on Kotla Test
The Delhi High Court has deferred its decision till Wednesday as Delhi and District Cricket Association fret over hosting fourth India vs South Africa Test at Feroz Shah Kotla starting from December 3.
The Delhi and District Cricket Association's troubles are far from over as the Delhi High Court has deferred its decision until Wednesday to determine whether Feroz Shah Kotla is allowed to host the fourth Test between India and South Africa, which commences from December 3.Â (Time Running Out for Delhi Cricket Officials, Kotla Test Still Uncertain)
DDCA had earlier knocked on High Court's doors after the Commissioner of Excise and Entertainment tax, on Monday, had refused to pass an order after DDCA appealed to keep the entertainment tax in abeyance till the match is over.Â Â(Arvind Kejriwal Government to Probe Corruption in DDCA)
However, there is more trouble in store for the DDCA. According to reports, the Arvind Kejriwal-appointed committee has called for the suspension of the Delhi State Cricket body and has recommended that the cricket body be run by professional cricketers.
The government appointed panel also suggested that Delhi's cricketing body should be brought under the RTI and also allow the Justice Lodha committee to set the rules for the DDCA.
In October this year, the Delhi government had directed the DDCA to pay Rs 24.45 crores in entertainment taxes. The order was made under the provisions of the Delhi Entertainments and Betting Tax Act of 1996.Â (Delhi in Danger of Losing Fourth India-South Africa Test)
BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur, however has warned that if the DDCA fail to host the Test, then the rights to host matches in the 2016 World Twenty20 will also be taken away from Kotla.
The BCCI said in an official media release that DDCA has approached the Delhi High Court with a plea to be allowed to host the 4th Test of the ongoing series between India and South Africa at the Feroz Shah Kotla. It added that it will wait for the decision which is expected on Wednesday.
DDCA officials had earlier met Delhi chief minister who had agreed to keep the issue of entertainment tax in abeyance. The decision was to be taken after the match at Kotla next month. DDCA had written a letter to the BCCI to release their funds.
"We are in the process of organising everything and I am positive about the deadline. We are in the process of getting all the clearances. We are in touch with government officials and hopefully things will be resolved," DDCA vice-president Chetan Chauhan had told PTI.
-With inputs from Vimal Mohan and Rica Roy-