IND vs AUS, 2nd Test, Day 1 Highlights: Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara Extend India's Advantage After Bowlers' Impressive Showing
India vs Australia Test Highlights: Having bowled out Australia for 195, India ended Day 1 on 36/1 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
India took the honours on Day 1, following a fine all-round show by the team in the second Test. Indian bowlers, led by Jasprit Bumrah, put in an impressive performance to bowl out Australia for a paltry 195. Shubman Gill and Cheteshwar Pujara, then held firm against the fiery Australian pace attack to take India to 36/1 at Stumps on Day 1. The visitors had lost Mayank Agarwal in the first over. Marnus Labuschagne was the highest run-scorer during the Australian innings, scoring 48 runs off 132 deliveries. Travis Head provided support, scoring 38 runs from 92 balls. Opener Matthew Wade looked confident during his knock of 30 runs off 39 deliveries, taking the attack to Umesh Yadav. However, a risky shot led to his dismissal, with Ravindra Jadeja completing a sharp catch. Steve Smith and Joe Burns were dismissed for ducks. The hosts opted to bat after skipper Tim Paine won the toss. Jasprit Bumrah accounted for four dismissals. Ravichandran Ashwin and Mohammed Siraj took three and two wickets respectively while Ravindra Jadeja chipped in with one. (SCORECARD)
2nd Test, Day 1 Highlights Between Australia (AUS) vs India (IND), Straight From Melbourne Cricket Ground
- 12:35 (IST)End of play on Day 1India have finished Day 1 with a score of 36/1 at the end of 11 overs. The visitors trail Australia by 159 runs.
India finish the day on for the loss of only one wicket— ICC (@ICC) December 26, 2020
Shubman Gill remains unbeaten on 28 with Cheteshwar Pujara on 7*
#AUSvIND SCORECARD: https://t.co/bcDsS3qmgl pic.twitter.com/LsXAVnYGsH
- 12:33 (IST)Nearly a run-outCheteshwar Pujara nudged the ball towards point showing interest in completing a single, which Shubman Gill wasn't in favour of. The confusion nearly resulted in chaos after the quick throw at the striker's end. The two batsmen eventually completed a single.
- 12:28 (IST)FOUR!Shubman Gill gets his fifth boundary of the innings, coming down the track and smashing the drive past mid-off.
- 12:27 (IST)Nathan Lyon into the attackNathan Lyon has been introduced into the attack, marking the second consecutive introduction of a new bowler following a maiden over from Josh Hazlewood.
- 12:22 (IST)Shubman Gill plays a sweetly timed push-driveShubman Gill leans into the push-drive, timing sweetly following an overpitched delivery by Pat Cummins. Matthew Wade cut off the boundary, but the two batsmen completed running three runs between the wickets.
- 12:18 (IST)FOUR!Shubman Gill gets his fourth boundary of the innings, following a delivery bowled on the pads by Mitchell Starc which was glanced down the leg-side.
- 12:13 (IST)FOUR!Shubman Gill gets his third boundary of the innings following a pull shot off Mitchell Starc, over mid-wicket off the front foot.
- 12:10 (IST)FOUR!Cheteshwar Pujara gets off the mark with a boundary. Pujara hit the ball straight down the ground with proper timing, following a full delivery from Pat Cummins.
- 12:05 (IST)Gill, Pujara complete a coupleShubman Gill hits the ball with soft hands past gully, completing a couple of runs with Cheteshwar Pujara.
- 12:04 (IST)FOUR!Shubman Gill gets his second boundary of the innings, following a short and wide delivery by Mitchell Starc. Gill hit the ball through the covers with confidence.
- 12:03 (IST)Shubman Gill dropped at third slipShubman Gill dropped by Marnus Labuschagne at third slip, following a thick edge off a full delivery.
- 12:01 (IST)FOUR!Shubman Gill gets his first boundary in Test cricket, following a half-volley from Pat Cummins. Gill played an excellent straight drive, beating the mid-off fielder.
- 11:57 (IST)No runs on the board after 3 oversIndia are yet to get a run on the board, following two maidens bowled by Mitchell Starc and one by Pat Cummins. India 0/1 (3 overs)
- 11:52 (IST)WICKET! Mayank Agarwal lbw Mitchell Starc 0 (6)Massive blow for Team India as Mayank Agarwal departs for a duck. Mitchell Starc trapped the opener in front following a sharp inswinger, with the umpire relenting on the bowler's appeal. Mayank attempted to go for a DRS review, which failed to overturn the decision. Cheteshwar Pujara is the new man in.
- 11:46 (IST)Mayank Agarwal and Shubman Gill are ready to start the Indian inningsMayank Agarwal and Shubman Gill will open the innings for Team India. Mitchell Starc is set to bowl the first over.
- 11:36 (IST)Australia have been bowled out for 195Australia have been bowled out for 195, after winning the toss and opting to bat. Marnus Labuschagne finished as the highest run-scorer, accumulating 48 runs off 132 deliveries. Jasprit Bumrah was the highest wicket-taker for India, with four dismissals.
Innings Break!— BCCI (@BCCI) December 26, 2020
Outstanding bowling from #TeamIndia as they bowl Australia out for 195 in the first innings of the 2nd Test on Day 1. Bumrah 4/56, Ashwin 3/35
Scorecard - https://t.co/lyjpjyeMX5 #AUSvIND pic.twitter.com/CcLtGYnwvs
- 11:33 (IST)WICKET! Pat Cummins c Mohammed Siraj b Ravindra Jadeja 9 (33)Ravindra Jadeja gets his first wicket, as Pat Cummins tries to go for an ambitious slog sweep without control, hitting the ball straight to Mohammed Siraj at long-on.
- 11:30 (IST)FOUR!Josh Hazlewood gets his first boundary of the innings, following a delivery bowled on the pads which was deflected fine down the leg-side.
- 11:29 (IST)WICKET! Nathan Lyon lbw Jasprit Bumrah 20 (17)Jasprit Bumrah gets his fourth wicket of the innings, accounting for the dismissal of Nathan Lyon. Bumrah bowled a full and straight delivery, beating Lyon for pace. The ball hit the batsman on his front pad, with the umpire raising the finger. a DRS review further failed to overturn the decision. Josh Hazlewood is the last batsman in.
- 11:25 (IST)FOUR!Nathan Lyon follows up the six with a four, pulling the short ball in front of square through the leg-side.
- 11:25 (IST)SIX!Nathan Lyon gets his first six of the innings, pulling the short ball over fine leg.
- 11:22 (IST)Two runs from Jadeja's overRavindra Jadeja concedes just two runs from his over, as Nathan Lyon and Pat Cummins complete singles.
- 11:19 (IST)Ravindra Jadeja is back in the attackSpinner Ravindra Jadeja is back in the attack, with nearly 20 overs left on Day 1.
- 11:15 (IST)FOUR!Nathan Lyon gets his first boundary of the innings, playing a late cut behind square on the off-side.
- 11:12 (IST)FOUR!Pat Cummins gets his first boundary of the innings, smashing the off-break from Ravichandran Ashwin over mid-wicket.
- 11:09 (IST)WICKET! Mitchell Starc c Mohammed Siraj b Jasprit Bumrah 7 (8)Mitchell Starc departs for 7 runs off 8 deliveries, after attempting to hook a short delivery from Jasprit Bumrah. Starc got a fat top-edge, with Mohammed Siraj completing a catch at long leg. Nathan Lyon is the new man in.
- 11:00 (IST)FOUR!Mitchell Starc gets his first boundary of the innings, hitting a full and straight delivery from Jasprit Bumrah to the left of mid-on.
- 10:54 (IST)Pat Cummins gets off the markPat Cummins gets off the mark with a single, flicking the ball bowled on the pads down to long leg.
- 10:49 (IST)WICKET! Tim Paine c Hanuma Vihari b Ravichandran Ashwin 13 (38)Ravichandran Ashwin gets his third wicket of the innings, as Tim Paine walks after being dismissed for 13. Paine lobbed the ball which dipped sharply straight to Hanuma Vihari at backward short leg, bringing Mitchell Starc to the crease.
Australia seven down!— BCCI (@BCCI) December 26, 2020
Ashwin with his third wicket of the innings.
Live - https://t.co/lyjpjyeMX5 #AUSvIND pic.twitter.com/2zDy0vmFkl
- 10:45 (IST)WICKET! Cameron Green lbw Mohammed Siraj 12 (60)Mohammed Siraj gets his second wicket following the dismissal of Cameron Green, who is adjudged OUT LBW. Green decided to go for a DRS review, after being struck on the back-pad, which failed to overturn the umpire's decision. Pat Cummins is the new man in.
- 10:39 (IST)Cameron Green hits the ball to deep backward pointCameron Green and Tim Paine complete a double, after the former hit a back of a length delivery backward of point.
- 10:34 (IST)Australia cross 150-run markAustralia cross the 150-run mark as Tim Paine and Cameron Green complete a double. Paine hit the ball neatly to backward square leg. Australia 152/5 (60 overs)
- 10:31 (IST)FOUR!Tim Paine gets his second boundary of the innings, down to third man following an edge in the gap between slips.
- 10:28 (IST)Cameron Green completes a singleCameron Green and Tim Paine complete a single, after the former came down the track, hitting the ball in front of square on the on-side.
- 10:21 (IST)Tim Paine completes a singleTim Paine hits a full delivery from Ravichandran Ashwin to the right of mid-on for a single.
- 10:17 (IST)Tim Paine survives close callTim Paine just manages to get across the line after attempting a quick single, with the Australia skipper in genuine trouble. The bat was on the line when the bails were off, with the third umpire giving a verdict in favour of Paine.
- 10:11 (IST)FOUR!Tim Paine gets his first boundary of the innings, clearing square leg with a pull shot off the short delivery.
- 10:10 (IST)Ravichandran Ashwin starts off 3rd session with a maidenRavichandran Ashwin has delivered an economical start to the third session, bowling a maiden.
- 09:45 (IST)Time for the Tea breakIts time for the Tea break, with Australia 136/5 (52 overs). Tim Paine is yet to get off the mark after facing 8 deliveries, with Cameron Green on 6 runs off 26 deliveries.
- 09:43 (IST)SingleCameron Green clips the ball away to square leg, completing a single.