Zurich Diamond League 2023 Highlights: Neeraj Chopra Finishes Second With 85.71m Throw
Neeraj Chopra and Murali Sreeshankar Zurich Diamond League Highlights: Neeraj Chopra finished in the second position.
Neeraj Chopra and Murali Sreeshankar, Zurich Diamond League Highlights: Neeraj Chopra finished in second spot with a 85.71m throw at the Diamond League meet in Zurich. He began with 80.79m throw in his first attempt followed by two foul throws. He got a 85.22 throw in the fourth attempt but his fifth attempt was once again a foul throw. Long jumper Murali Sreeshankar is going strong as he is third in his event.
Here are the Highlights of Diamond League meet in Zurich:
- 23:55 (IST)Zurich Diamond League 2023 Live Updates: Historic feat!Olympic champion Chopra began with a foul but jumped to top spot with his second throw, and from thereon, he led the field till the end.Neeraj Chopra has now become only the second Indian -- after legendary shooter Abhinav Bindra -- to simultaneously hold the Olympics and World Championships title. Bindra won the World Championships title when he was 23, and the Olympics gold at 25.
- 23:47 (IST)Zurich Diamond League 2023 Live Updates: Huge prize money!On winning a gold medal at the World Championships, Neeraj received a cash prize of $70000, which is close to 58 lakh rupees. On the other hand, his Pakistan opponent Arshad got $35,000, around 29 lakh rupees. Meanwhile, Vadlejch, who also finished on the podium received a sum of $22,000, close to 18 lakh.
- 23:33 (IST)Zurich Diamond League 2023 Live Updates: Murali Sreeshankar!Long jumper Murali Sreeshankar will also be in action and he would be looking to redeem himself after failing to qualify for the final round at the World Championships.Sreeshankar, who has a season's and personal best of 8.41m, jumped a below-par 7.74m to finish 22nd overall in the qualification round. He is currently third in the long jump standings of this Diamond League season, with 10 points from two events.
- 23:05 (IST)Zurich Diamond League 2023 Live Updates: Current standings!Neeraj Chopra, who won the Diamond League final trophy last year, sits third with 16 points from two events. Vadlejch (21 points from three events) and Weber (19 from three events), who finished fourth in Budapest with 85.79m, are on top and at second place respectively.
- 22:56 (IST)Zurich Diamond League 2023 Live Updates: Familiar opposition!In Zurich, where he is competing four days after being crowned world champion, Chopra will be up against familiar rivals like Czech Republic's Jakub Vadlejch, bronze winner in Budapest with 86.67m, Julian Weber of Germany and two-time world champion Anderson Peters of Grenada.Only Pakistan's Arshad Nadeem, silver medallist in Budapest, will not be there in Zurich.
- 22:37 (IST)Zurich Diamond League 2023 Live Updates: Perfect answer!A reporter asked Neeraj's mother Saroj Devi in a press conference how she felt to see her son beating a Pakistani athlete. She won many hearts with her response, saying it doesn't matter which place the athlete comes from.“Look, all have come to play in the field. One or the other will definitely win. So there is no question of being from Pakistan or Haryana,", adding, “It is a matter of happiness. Even if that Pakistani had won, there would've been great happiness," she said.
- 22:32 (IST)Zurich Diamond League 2023 Live Updates: Neeraj's modest answer!On being asked about how he felt after winning the gold medal, Neeraj said that he controlled his tears and would look to deliver a better performance than this in his next attempt."Thought I'd get emotional but didn't cry. I tend to control myself emotionally but these are proud moments and the adrenaline is such that you end up crying sometimes. Hopefully, I'll throw better next time and cry with you all. Even after the second throw today, I was thinking that I should be pushing myself more as I was feeling that a better throw would come," Neeraj told NDTV.
- 22:27 (IST)