Tokyo Olympics Closing Ceremony Highlights: 2020 Games Come To An End
Tokyo Olympics 2020 Closing Ceremony Highlights: The Tokyo 2020 Olympics were declared closed on Sunday by IOC chief Thomas Bach, who called the pandemic-delayed Games the "most challenging Olympic journey".
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics were declared closed on Sunday by IOC chief Thomas Bach, who called the pandemic-delayed Games the "most challenging Olympic journey". "Now I have to mark the end of this most challenging Olympic journey to Tokyo: I declare the Games of the 32nd Olympiad closed," the International Olympic Committee president said. The Olympic flag was passed to Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo for the 2024 Games at the Tokyo closing ceremony on Sunday. Hidalgo waved the flag, decorated with the five Olympic rings, after she received it from International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach.
The closing ceremony for the Tokyo 2020 Games began in a nearly empty Olympic Stadium on Sunday, at the end of a 16-day event held under strict anti-coronavirus conditions. The festivities began in front of VIPs after the Japanese flag was raised at the 68,000-seat venue, where fans are barred to prevent infections. Wrestler Bajrang Punia led the Indian contingent out during the parade of athletes during the closing ceremony of Tokyo 2020.
Here are all the highlights from Tokyo Olympics 2020 Closing Ceremony
- 18:53 (IST)Arigato!And that's it from us here. The Tokyo Olympics ceremony comes to an end. Thank you for joining our coverage of the 2020 Games. There have been some memorable moments during the Games, none more so than Neeraj Chopra's stunning gold-studded performance.From all of us here Arigato and Sayonara!!
- 17:37 (IST)Peres Jepchirchir gets the gold!Thomas Bach presents Kenya's Peres Jepchirchir with the gold medal for women's marathon event at the Tokyo Olympics.
- 17:15 (IST)Glorious light show takes over!Lights illuminate the Tokyo sky and then form the Olympic rings, with fireworks going off to make it that more spectacular.
The Olympic spirit is in all of us.— Olympics (@Olympics) August 8, 2021
A display of beautiful, luminous colours swirl together, representing the many flags of the world.
They form the Olympic Rings, a timeless symbol of unity. #StrongerTogether #Tokyo2020 #ClosingCeremony pic.twitter.com/38dv0e0w98
- 17:08 (IST)Fan videos being projected in the Olympic Stadium!Due to coronavirus protocols, the opening ceremony is being held without spectators but the organisers have put up a screen inside the stadium where the fans videos from across the world are being projected.
Even if we cannot be together, we can still share a moment that we will never forget.— Olympics (@Olympics) August 8, 2021
Videos from fans all over the world are projected into the Olympic Stadium at the #ClosingCeremony
You can submit yours NOW! https://t.co/TQ9qFlXBh1#StrongerTogether #Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/lPj3PCDRhx
- 16:52 (IST)Parade of athletes begin!The athletes who gave it their all over the last couple of weeks walk out for one last time at the Olympic Stadium.
The parade of athletes has begun!— Olympics (@Olympics) August 8, 2021
The athletes walk in together to celebrate everything they have given these past few weeks.
Alone we are small but together we are giants!#StrongerTogether | #ClosingCeremony | #Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/YvACHlXcUE
- 16:41 (IST)Flag bearers of each countries march out!Flag bearers and athletes of each country who participated at the Tokyo Games make their way out to the stadium. For India, it is wrestler Bajrang Punia who is walking out with the national flag.
Welcome, flagbearers!— Olympics (@Olympics) August 8, 2021
The athletes enter the Olympic Stadium together - a moment to remember that, while we may come from all over the world, @Tokyo2020 has proven that we are always #StrongerTogether. #Tokyo2020 #ClosingCeremony pic.twitter.com/Wz8tnkb3mC
- 16:34 (IST)Fireworks to kick off the closing ceremony!The closing ceremony of Tokyo Olympics 2020 is underway at the Olympic stadium. IOC president Thomas Bach is in attendance.