David Moyes baulks at Jose Mourinho's claims of Wayne Rooney leaving Manchester United
Jose Mourinho, who failed with two bids for the England striker last year, has claimed that Rooney could be allowed to leave Manchester United at the end of the season, but Moyes issued a swift rebuttal.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and his Manchester United counterpart David Moyes have clashed over the future of United striker Wayne Rooney ahead of the sides' Premier League encounter on Sunday.
Mourinho, who failed with two bids for the England striker last year, has claimed that Rooney could be allowed to leave United at the end of the season, but Moyes issued a swift rebuttal.
With Rooney yet to agree an extension to his current contract, which expires in 2015, Mourinho hinted that the 28-year-old could be sold to a club from outside England during the close season.
"Man United made it clear in the summer they don't swap or sell players to their direct rivals," he said.
"They were clear in the way they approached the Rooney situation. For them, it's pretty clear. They don't swap. They don't sell.
"I think maybe this summer they will try to sell to a non-direct rival. But they were very clear."
However, Moyes said that Mourinho's appraisal of the situation was inaccurate, and declined an opportunity to express interest in Chelsea's out-of-favour Spanish midfielder Juan Mata.
"I don't talk about players at other clubs. It's not my style," the Scot said.
"Only time will tell and give you the answer (about Rooney). I completely disagree. I can only tell you I disagree.
"The club do the right things, there is no doubt about that. We'll make sure we do the things we need to do."
Rooney, who joined United from Everton in August 2004, will miss Sunday's game at Stamford Bridge due to a groin injury.
Moyes also revealed that he has received an apology from Chelsea over comments made by Mourinho suggesting there was discontent at United.
Mourinho was quoted in London newspaper the Evening Standard as saying that "inside information" from Old Trafford had given him the impression that "Man United are not happy".
"I've seen it and had an apology from him and his department," Moyes said. "I think it was poor journalism, actually."
Mourinho, meanwhile, has laughed off suggestions that he was left in tears by United's decision to appoint Moyes as the successor to Alex Ferguson, rather than him.
Spanish journalist Diego Torres made the claim in his book, 'Prepare to Lose: The Mourinho Era', but Mourinho says that he already had his heart set on a return to Chelsea when news of Ferguson's retirement broke in May.
"I think the person who wrote that book shouldn't write books. He should write books for kids using his imagination," the Portuguese told reporters.
"I am where I want to be. I want to go nowhere else. I have the job I want to have, I don't have another job."
Mourinho returned to Chelsea last June, having previously spent three hugely successful years at Stamford Bridge between 2004 and 2007.
"After Real Madrid I wanted England and if possible, Chelsea. It's the only time I've said this country and this specific club," he added.
"If not Chelsea then I'd have been in England at another club, but when the door at my club opened for me, I had the job I wanted to have."