Recovering from a knee surgery, Australian pacer Ryan Harris is eyeing a return to international cricket in the series against India this year.
"Don't talk months; I've been talking months for a while now. I'm hoping to be back for at least the first Sheffield Shield game for Queensland (starting October 31). That's my goal; to try and make sure I get enough bowling in before the India series, which I really want to play in," Harris told cricket.com.au.
Eager to be back in the mix, Harris said, "You can ask me when I'm aiming to be back, or you can ask the physios and they'll probably give you a totally different answer."
Harris has been forced to temper his trademark enthusiasm during a lengthy rehabilitation process over the winter months.
Although he has returned to the nets last week for the first time since March, he has been under strict instructions not to push himself too hard.
Harris has been restricted to bowling just 18 deliveries off three steps, a couple of times a week. By next week, he hopes to increase the workload to 24 deliveries per session.
The 34-year-old has had to endure numerous setbacks to his career due to various injuries but was pivotal in Australia's double successes over England and South Africa over the winter.
The chance to regain the Ashes in England next summer is a big motivation for Harris in his latest comeback from injury.
"I must admit I've had a few thoughts about (when his career would end), but I still want to play. If my performances were starting to drop considerably and I wasn't happy, then I would have said 'I don't think I can do it any more'," he said.
India's tour of Australia might be three months away but mind games have already started with Harris last month saying they will not tone down their aggression and the Indians may face a brutal summer from fellow fast bowler Mitchell Johnson.
Harris declared that the Australians would seek to extend India's woeful away-from-home record when they kickstart the four-match series on December 4.