Former Australia player Brad Drewett was hired on Thursday as the new head of the men's professional tennis tour.
The 53-year-old Drewett signed a three-year contract as executive chairman and president of the ATP. He succeeds Adam Helfant, an American who announced in June that he was stepping down at the end of 2011 after the expiry of his three-year deal.
Drewett takes over officially on January 1 and will be based in the ATP's London offices.
He is "ideally qualified to take on the multifaceted role with his extensive experience at the ATP," the governing body said in a statement.
Drewett currently serves as CEO of the ATP International Group, overseeing operations in the Middle East, Asia and Pacific since 1999. He previously served as a member of the player council and as a representative on the ATP player board.
"The ATP World Tour and men's tennis are stronger than ever and it is my intention to continue to lead the organization on this successful path, working hand in hand with our players and tournaments," Drewett said.
Drewett has also been tournament director of the ATP World Tour Finals in London and the event previously known as the Masters Cup.
During a 12-year playing career, Drewett reached a career-high ranking of 34 in singles, winning two tournaments, and represented Australia in the Davis Cup.
His appointment was welcomed by 16-time Grand Slam singles champion Roger Federer, who heads the ATP's player council.
"He understands the global nature of the business as well as the complexities of dealing with all of the tour's stakeholders," Federer said.
Among the other contenders for the job had been former Wimbledon champion Richard Krajicek. The Dutchman pulled out of the running last week, saying he realized he didn't have enough support from the board.