Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Ravi Dahiya, Men's Hockey Team And Golfer Aditi Ashok Shine
Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Ravi Dahiya won a silver medal for India in the men's wrestling freestyle 57kg category. Meanwhile, the men's hockey team won bronze to end their 41-year medal wait at the Olympics.
Despite a valiant effort, Ravi Dahiya lost to Zavur Uguev to win a silver medal in the men's wrestling freestyle 57kg final at the ongoing Tokyo Olympics on Thursday. The ROC wrestler registered a 7-4 win against Dahiya. Meanwhile, Deepak Punia fell to a narrow 2-4 defeat against Myles Nazem Amine in the men's freestyle 86kg bronze medal match. The Indian wrestler saw his medal hopes falter due to a late comeback from his San Marino opponent, who sealed a win in the last minute.
The Indian men's hockey team sealed a 5-4 win against Germany in their bronze medal match. Simranjeet Singh scored two goals for India at the Oi Hockey Stadium, along with Hardik Singh, Harmanpreet Singh and Rupinder Pal Singh also adding their names on the scoresheet. The win also helped the Indian men's hockey team end their 41-year medal wait at the Olympics.
Golfer Aditi Ashok finished Round 2 of women's individual event on a strong note. The Indian wrapped up the round with 5 under par (-5) 66 points. She is tried at 2nd rank 9 under par (-9) with total of 133 points.
Meanwhile, Vinesh Phogat crashed to a shocking defeat against Vanesa Kaladzinskaya of Belarus at the 53kg freestyle wrestling 1/4 final. The Indian wrestler, who was trailing 3-9, lost the bout via fall. Phogat had earlier defeated Sofia Mattsson in the 1/8 finals. She was also out of contention for the repechage round as Kaladzinskaya lost her semi-final bout to Pang Qianyu.
Wrestler Anshu Malik lost her repechage round 2 at the women's freestyle 57kg category. She lost 1-5 to Valeria Koblova.
Here Are The Highlights From Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 17:50 (IST)Okay, that's it for today folks!Okay, that's it for today folks!August 5 was a historic day for India, with the men's hockey team bagging a bronze medal and wrestler Ravi Dahiya notched a silver.Catch us tomorrow for our live coverage of August 6 at the Tokyo Olympics.
- 17:34 (IST)Men's 400m final: Steven Gardiner comes out on top!Steven Gardiner from Bahamas has come out on top in the men's 400m final, clocking 43.85 seconds. Silver goes to Colombia's Jose Anthony Zambrano and Kirani James (Grenada) wins bronze.
- 17:23 (IST)Katie Nageotte wins women's pole vault final!USA's Katie Nageotte has come out on top in the women's pole vault final! Silver goes to ROC's Anzhelika Sidorova and bronze goes to Great Britain's Holly Bradshaw.
- 17:14 (IST)Belgium win men's hockey gold!Belgium edged past Australia in the shoot-out to win their men's hockey final match. The score after four quarters was 1-1.
- 16:59 (IST)Men's freestyle 86kg bronze medal match: Deepak Punia loses!!!WHAT A TURNAROUND!!Myles Nazem Amine pulled a late comeback to notch two points. The San Marino wrestler wins the bronze medal!The final score reads 4-2 in Amine's favour!
India's Deepak Punia goes down against Myles Amine 2-4 in the bronze medal clash of the 86 Kg Men's Freestyle wrestling at #Tokyo2020.— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 5, 2021
You've made the whole country proud with your achievement at the #Olympics.#Cheer4India
- 16:57 (IST)Men's freestyle 86kg bronze medal match: Deepak Punia keeps his calm!With less than two minutes to go in the second period, Deepak Punia is still leading 2-1 and has kept his calm until now!
- 16:55 (IST)Men's freestyle 86kg bronze medal match: Deepak Punia leads after the first periodDeepak Punia has taken a 2-1 lead and the first period is over. Can he maintain his composure and go on to win the bout?
- 16:51 (IST)Men's freestyle 86kg bronze medal match: The bout begins!The first period has begun, with both Deepak Punia and Myles Nazem Amine trying to bag the first point.
- 16:50 (IST)Men's freestyle 86kg bronze medal match: Deepak Punia and Myles Nazem Amine enter for their boutDeepak Punia and Myles Nazem Amine enter for their bout! Can Punia add another medal to India's Olympics 2020 tally?
- 16:45 (IST)Men's freestyle 86kg bronze medal match: Deepak Punia's bout is set to begin!Deepak Punia's men's freestyle 86kg bronze medal bout is set to begin in few minutes. He will face San Marino's Myles Nazem Amine.
- 16:38 (IST)Wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final: Its over for Ravi Dahiya! Zavur Uguev wins!The men's freestyle 57kg final is finally over and Uguev comes out on top against Dahiya. The final score was 7-4.Dahiya will return home with a silver medal.
Silver for Ravi!— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 5, 2021
India's Ravi Dahiya loses to Uguev Zavur 4-7 in the final of the 57 Kg Men's Freestyle wrestling to win India's second silver medal and 5th medal overall at #Tokyo2020.
We are proud of his achievement. #Cheer4India pic.twitter.com/bI7ueOeJFR
- 16:37 (IST)Wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final: More 30 seconds to go!More 30 seconds to go and Dahiya is trailing 4-7.
- 16:35 (IST)Wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final: Its 7-2 now for Zavur UguevMore 1 minute 30 seconds left to go, and Uguev leads 7-2 now! Alarming news for Indian wrestling fans!
- 16:34 (IST)Wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final: Zavur Uguev extends his lead to 5-2Uguev has increased his lead to 5-2 in the second period. Dahiya has also been cautioned. More 2 minutes to go!
- 16:32 (IST)Wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final: First period is over!The first period is over and Uguev leads 4-2. Its not over yet though for Dahiya! The Indian wrestler is known to pull late comebacks!
- 16:31 (IST)Wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final: Zavur Uguev goes ahead!Zavur Uguev has gone ahead and is leading 4-2 against Dahiya!
- 16:30 (IST)Wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final: Its 2-2 now!Its 2-2 now, with Dahiya levelling the score. Both wrestlers are trying to get ahead of each other in this entertaining bout!
- 16:29 (IST)Wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final: Zavur Uguev scores the first point!Uguev managed to push Dahiya outside the mat, and notches the first point!
- 16:28 (IST)The wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final begins!The bout has begin and both wrestlers are trying to build some momentum. They are trying to get a hold of each other!
- 16:27 (IST)Wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final: Ravi Dahiya and Zavur Uguev enter for their gold medal boutRavi Dahiya and Zavur Uguev enter for their gold medal bout of the wrestling men's freestyle 57kg category. Can Dahiya win India's second-ever Olympic gold medal?
- 16:02 (IST)Ravi Dahiya's gold medal bout is about to begin!Ravi Dahiya, who has been in fine form, is set to face Zavur Uguev in the wrestling men's freestyle 57kg final. The bout is scheduled for 4:20 PM IST.
wrestler Ravi Dahiya will play for #Gold at #Tokyo2020 in some time, get ready to cheer for him.— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 5, 2021
Continue sending in your #Cheer4India messages to encourage him.#Wrestling #Olympics pic.twitter.com/Ns5UxfyoVW
- 15:42 (IST)Vinesh Phogat is out!!! Vanesa Kaladzinskaya loses her semifinal bout!Vinesh Phogat needed Vanesa Kaladzinskaya to defeat Pant Qianyu in the semifinal of women's freestyle wrestling 53kg. But the Belarus wrestler lost to her Chinese opponent.Vinesh won't be able to feature in the repechage round!
- 15:27 (IST)Men's 20km Race Walk: India disappoint!The men's 20km race walk is over. India's Sandeep Kumar finished in 23rd position, Rahul was 47th and KT Irfan sealed a 51st finish.Italy's Massimo Stano won gold, followed by Japan's Koki Ikeda and Toshikazu Yamanishi.
- 13:45 (IST)Women's individual golf: Aditi Ashok finishes Round 2 at second rankAditi Ashok wrapped up round 2 of the women's individual golf with 5 under par (-5) 66 points. She is tied at 2nd rank 9 under par (-9) with total of 133 points.
Great play by #IND golfer @aditigolf, finishing the #Golf Women's Round 2 with 5 under par (-5) 66 points— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 5, 2021
With this Aditi is Tied at 2nd Rank 9 under par (-9) with total of 133 points
Let's continue supporting her with #Cheer4India messages#Tokyo2020#Olympics pic.twitter.com/QHAbS7uK0Z
- 13:41 (IST)Diving: Quan Hongchen wins women's 10m platform14-year-old Quan Hongchen (China) sealed a stunning win in the women's 10m platform. Silver went to Chen Yuxi from China and bronze to Melissa Wu of Australia.
- 13:13 (IST)Men's boxing featherweight final: Albert Batyrgaziev wins gold!ROC's Albert Batyrgaziev has won gold in the men's boxing featherweight final, defeating USA's Duke Ragan by a 3-2 split decision.
- 12:23 (IST)Watch: India celebrate after final whistle in men's hockey bronze medal matchIndia edged past Germany 5-4 in the men's hockey bronze medal match at the ongoing Tokyo Olympics on Thursday. Here is a video of India celebrating after the final whistle:
An UNFORGETTABLE moment!— #Tokyo2020 for India (@Tokyo2020hi) August 5, 2021
The one that #IND has been hungry for over 41 long years. #Tokyo2020 | #UnitedByEmotion | #StrongerTogether | #BestOfTokyo | #Hockey | #Bronze pic.twitter.com/R530dyTjS1
- 11:59 (IST)US through to the men's basketball final!The US are into the men's basketball final, registering a 97-78 win vs Australia.
- 11:25 (IST)Keegan Palmer wins men's park skateboard final!Australia's Keegan Palmer won the men's park skateboard final, ahead of Pedro Barros of Brazil and USA's Cory Juneau.
Keegan Palmer is the inaugural men's park #Skateboarding Olympic champion!— Olympics (@Olympics) August 5, 2021
The #AUS skater scores a huge 95.83 in his final run to secure gold.@worldskatesb @AUSOlympicTeam pic.twitter.com/NrUgQCI387
- 10:57 (IST)Aditi Ashok showcasing her family power at the Olympics!Golfer Aditi Ashok is currently T2 in women's individual event, with Round 2 taking place on Thursday. Her mother is her caddie for Tokyo 2020, and her father donned the role at Rio 2016.
@aditigolf is spreading the #Olympics love with her family.— Olympic Golf (@OlympicGolf) August 5, 2021
At the 2016 #Olympics, Ashok had her father caddie for her in Rio.
This year, Ashok, who is currently T2, has her mother on the bag in her hunt for a #Tokyo2020 medal. pic.twitter.com/XdfPePMd4S
- 10:22 (IST)Women's Individual Golf, Round 2: UPDATEAditi Ashok is tied at T2 and is maintaining her momentum.Dikshita Dagar is way down the table.
- 09:14 (IST)VINESH PHOGAT LOSES!Vinesh Phogat sees her fine form come to an end with a defeat to Vanesa Kaladzinskaya of Belarus at the 53kg Freestyle Wrestling 1/4 Finals.
- 09:08 (IST)Vanesa Kaladzinskaya has extended her lead against Vinesh Phogat!With less than 2 minutes to go, Vanesa has taken a 7-2 lead against Vinesh! THIS IS BIG!
- 09:05 (IST)Vinesh Phogat is currently 2-5 down!An odd start for Vinesh, as she is currently 5-2 down against her opponent from Belarus!
- 09:03 (IST)Wrestling: Vinesh Phogat's 53kg Freestyle Wrestling 1/4 Final begins!Vinesh Phogat's bout has begun, and she is up against Vanesa Kaladzinskaya of Belarus.
- 08:48 (IST)Full time | GER 4-5 INDIt is full time now, and the Indian men's hockey team finally win a medal after over four decades! The Germans started off brightly, but from the third quarter onwards it was all about India!
- 08:44 (IST)Germany miss their chance | 2:35' 4th | GER 4-5 INDGermany miss their chance to equalise. It was a penalty corner, but India defended well to prevent a goal.
- 08:34 (IST)Germany deep in defence | 7:21' 4th | GER 4-5 INDFew minutes are only left but India regained their footing again. Germany are now sitting deep as India are attacking!
- 08:29 (IST)GERMANY SCORE | 12:19' 4th | GER 4-5 INDWindfeder converts the penalty corner for Germany. India didn't deal with it well, and they have been defending poorly in this quarter.
- 08:24 (IST)4th quarter begins | GER 3-5 INDThe fourth quarter begins! Can Germany stage a late comeback?