Olympics Opening Ceremony Highlights: Tokyo Games Open To Toned-Down Opening Ceremony
Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony: The event took place at nearly empty National Stadium on Friday. with Naomi Osaka lighting the Olympic Cauldron.
The opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics took place on Friday in a nearly empty National Stadium after year-long pandemic postponement and a build-up marred by scandal and controversy. The ceremony began with performances and fireworks. It was followed by the parade of participating countries, which placed the foundation for speeches by International Olympic Committee (IOC) chief Thomas Bach and Seiko Hashimoto, who is the chief of Tokyo Organising Committee. After the speeches, Japanese Emperor Naruhito opened up The Games, and few more performances took place. Tennis ace Naomi Osaka ended the ceremony by lighting the Olympic Cauldron. The ceremony took place before just a few hundred officials and dignitaries.
- 19:04 (IST)The last contingent arrive!Japan have arrived, and they are the last contingent in the parade! They are led by flagbearers Susaki Yui and Rui Hachimura.
The hosts are in the house! #JPN— Olympics (@Olympics) July 23, 2021
The athletes of the #Tokyo2020 host nation, Japan, enter the stadium, led by wrestler Susaki Yui and basketball player Hachimura Rui. #OpeningCeremony #StrongerTogether @Japan_Olympic pic.twitter.com/4Io7QcroEi
- 18:36 (IST)Tonga led by a shirtless Pita TaufatofuaPita Taufatofua led Tonga shirtless in Rio 2016 and PyeongChang 2018. He is back once again, and led Tonga shirtless, with Malia Paseka.
- 18:33 (IST)China, South Korea and CanadaHere are photos of China, South Korea and Canada during the parade at the stadium:
Welcome to #Tokyo2020, People's Republic of China— Olympics (@Olympics) July 23, 2021
In just over six months' time, the world will come together again for the @Beijing2022 Winter Olympic Games!#OpeningCeremony | #StrongerTogether pic.twitter.com/VDqHsUHDz9
- 18:12 (IST)Kenya adds an extra punch to the fashion sense at the National Stadium!Kenya entered the parade in total style, and their uniforms were totally fashionable!
- 18:06 (IST)Youngest flagbearer!!!!!The Syrian Arab Republic has been led by Hend Zaza and Ahmad Saber Hamcho. Zaza is a 12-year-old table tennis player!
- 17:57 (IST)Here are the hosts for the 2023 Olympics!With Brisbane winning the hosting rights for the 2023 Olympics recently, here is the Australian contingent entering the National Stadium:
- 17:52 (IST)
- 17:46 (IST)Team Great Britain!Team Great Britain enter the National Stadium, and are led by Olympic champions Hannah Mills and Mohamed Sbihi.
- 17:41 (IST)RETRO!The Italian team show off their retro fashion sense and enter the National Stadium in their own unique manner!
- 17:31 (IST)
- 17:25 (IST)IOC Refugee Olympic TeamHere is a snapshot of the IOC Refugee Olympic Team, who have graced The Games for the second time in history!
For the second time in its history, the Olympic Games welcome the IOC Refugee Olympic Team!— Olympics (@Olympics) July 23, 2021
Leading the delegation into the stadium are the flagbearers, swimmer @YusraMardini and marathon runner Tachlowini Gabriyesos.#StrongerTogether #OpeningCeremony #EoR @RefugeesOlympic pic.twitter.com/ftVl2Kzd4H
- 17:16 (IST)Greece carries on with their Olympics custom with much aplomb!Here is a photo of Greece, who according to custom are the first nation to enter the stadium for the Opening Ceremony:
It is time for the #Tokyo2020 Parade of Athletes— #Tokyo2020 (@Tokyo2020) July 23, 2021
As is custom, Greece are the first nation to enter the Olympic Stadium at the #OpeningCeremony #UnitedByEmotion | #StrongerTogether | #Olympics pic.twitter.com/U09CCsCwtY
- 17:07 (IST)THE COLOR PALLETE!The colors displayed in the Opening Ceremony shows the aesthetics of the Japanese culture! SUCH BEAUTY AND ELEGANCE! Here is a photo:
- 17:02 (IST)The Olympic Rings have been bought in!As already mentioned, the Olympic Rings have been bought into the stadium! They are made of wood from trees planted by athletes of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics! Each ring is four meters in diameter and is followed by paper lanterns!
The legacy of Tokyo 1964 lives on at #Tokyo2020— #Tokyo2020 (@Tokyo2020) July 23, 2021
These Olympic Rings were crafted with wood grown from trees that were planted by athletes years ago when the #Olympics first came to Tokyo#StrongerTogether | #OpeningCeremony #UnitedByEmotion pic.twitter.com/Z1n0HCNK5h
- 16:57 (IST)
- 16:52 (IST)The flag of Japan!The flag of Japan has also been bought in, and is being carried by Miyake Yoshinobu, Takahashi Naoko, Tabata Momoha, Sakai Hibiki, Dohi Keita and Asaba Mizuki.
- 16:47 (IST)"Apart, but not alone."The Opening Ceremony has also begun on an emotional note, with plenty of emphasis being put on the COVID-19 pandemic, as many athletes have had to train in moments of isolation.
Apart, but not alone.— Olympics (@Olympics) July 23, 2021
With the emergence of COVID-19, many athletes had to train for this moment in isolation. But they were always connected by their hope and shared passion. #StrongerTogether #OpeningCeremony pic.twitter.com/7teAvhljXe