Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Boxer Lovlina Borgohain Shines, Shooters Disappoint Again
Tokyo Olympics Highlights: India's Lovlina Borgohain booked a place in the quarterfinals of women's Welter (64-69kg) boxing event after winning her bout against Nadine Apetz of Germany.
Indian boxer Lovlina Borgohain defeated Nadine Apetz of Germany in Preliminaries Round of 16 bout in women's Welter (64-69kg) event and booked a place in the quarterfinal. Indian shooters disappointed yet again as pairs of Elavenil Valarivan/Divyansh Singh Panwar and Anjum Moudgil/Deepak Kumar failed to qualify for Qualification Stage 2. In badminton, India's doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty won their match against Ben Lane and Sean Vendy of Great Britain but still, missed the cut for the quarterfinal. India's Sharath Kamal lost three back-to-back games as he went down 4-1 against defending champion Ma Long in the third round of the men's singles table tennis match. Earlier today, Indian men's hockey team gave a thorough performance as they defeated Spain 3-0 in the Pool A clash in men's hockey. The mixed team of Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary performed well but failed to qualify for medal round matches, getting knocked out in Stage 2 qualifications. Team of Yashaswini Deswal and Abhishek Verma were also knocked out after Stage 1.
A whole range of action gets underway on the fifth day of Tokyo Olympics with athletes including tennis star Andy Murray, football teams of Brazil, Sweden, and USA. Murray plays his men's doubles second round match where he teams up with Joe Salisbury to take on the German pair of Kevin Krawietz and Tim Puetz.
Here Are The Highlights From Tokyo 2020 Olympics:
- 19:00 (IST)Equestrian: Germany win dressage team goldFor a record-extending ninth time at the Olympics, Germany have won the dressage team event. Jessica von Bredow-Werndl, riding TSF Dalera, finished in style for the Germans, as they finished with a score of 8178. USA won silver, and Great Britain won bronze.
- 18:19 (IST)Simone Biles suffering from an unspecified "medical issue"The USA Gymnastics in a statement said that Simone Biles was suffering from an unspecified "medical issue" and would now face daily assessment to determine whether she can continue her Olympic campaign."Simone has withdrawn from the team final competition due to a medical issue," the statement said to AFP said. "She will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions."
- 17:42 (IST)Estonia wins their first summer gold medal since Beijing 2008!Julia Beljajeva, Katrina Lehis and Erika Kirpu have won Estonia their first summer Olympics gold medal since Beijing 2008. They defeated South Korea 36-32 in the final of the Fencing Women's Epee Team competition. Italy won bronze earlier in this event.
- 17:30 (IST)Four-time Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles withdraws!!Gymnast Simone Biles was replaced in the US team after starting Tuesday's Olympic Women's Team Final. She has been replaced by a teammate.
- 14:25 (IST)First ever surfing gold goes to Brazil!Brazil's Italo Ferreira claimed Olympic surfing's first-ever gold medal on Tuesday, as American Carissa Moore won the women's event. Read more here
- 13:19 (IST)Switzerland pulls off first clean sweep at Tokyo Olympics!Switzerland clean swept all the three medals in women's cross-country mountain bike event.
- 13:12 (IST)South Korea finally taste defeat in Archery!
- 10:19 (IST)Badminton - Satwiksairaj Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty vs Ben Lane/Sean Vendy - Group Play Stage - Group AMen's Doubles Badminton - India Win But Fail To Qualify For QuarterfinalIndia's doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty win the second game and seal the match 2-0 against Ben Lane and Sean Vendy of Great BritainScore: 21-17 21-19