India vs Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Day 2 Highlights: Sri Lanka 4 Down At Stumps, Trail India By 466 Runs
IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2 Highlights: Sri Lanka find themselves in all sorts of trouble at stumps on Day 2 of the ongoing first Test at the IS Bindra Stadium in Mohali. At stumps, Sri Lanka were 108/4, and trail India by 466 runs.
IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2 Highlights: Sri Lanka find themselves in all sorts of trouble at stumps on Day 2 of the ongoing first Test at the IS Bindra Stadium in Mohali. At stumps, Sri Lanka were 108/4, and trail India by 466 runs. For India, Ravichandran Ashwin took two wickets while Ravindra Jadeja and Jasprit Bumrah picked up a wicket each. Earlier, Ravindra Jadeja scored an unbeaten 175 as India declared their first innings for a mammoth total of 574 for 8 in the first innings. This was Jadeja's career-best score, and also the highest by an Indian player batting at no. 7, India were 357 for 6 at stumps on Day 1 of the ongoing first Test. On Day 1, Rishabh Pant scored a whirlwind 96 off just 97 balls after Hanuma Vihari had played a steady knock of 58. Virat Kohli, who is playing in his 100th Test, also looked comfortable during his stay at the crease, before Lasith Embuldeniya castled him on 45. For Sri Lanka, Suranga Lakmal, Vishwa Fernando and Lasith Embuldeniya took two wickets eachi. (SCORECARD)
India XI: Rohit Sharma (captain), Mayank Agarwal, Hanuma Vihari, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant (wicketkeeper), Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Jayant Yadav.
Sri Lanka XI: Dimuth Karunaratna (captain), Lahiru Thirimanne, Pathum Nisanka, Angelo Mathews, Dhananjay de Silva, Charith Aslanka, Niroshan Dikwella (wk), Suranga Lakmal, Lasith Embuldeniya, Vishwa Fernando, Lahiru Kumara
Here are the Highlights of Day 2 of the 1st India vs Sri Lanka Test from the IS Bindra Stadium in Mohali
- 17:04 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: STUMPS!That's the end of the day's play. A good day for India. After dominating with the bat, India also manage to scalp wickets, leaving Sri Lanka plenty of ground to cover on Day 3. They trail India by 466 runs.Score; SL: 108/4
- 16:49 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: GONE! LBW!De Silva misses his sweep. Given out, and he is not reviewing it. It is really full, has pitched just outside off, doesn't have the opportunity to turn past the stumps because of the full length. Plumb in front. Big wicket for India.Dhananjaya de Silva lbw b Ashwin 1 (8)Live Score; SL: 103/4
- 16:33 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: OUT!This time he gets his man. Appeal for lbw, given out, and Mathews review. However, it was a marginal call and the umpire's call comes to India's aid. Bumrah strikesAngelo Mathews lbw b Bumrah 22 (39)Live Score; SL: 96/3
- 16:20 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: SIX RUNS!Slightly pitched up. Matthews goes over the top. Nice shot to release some of the pressure. He just lofts it over mid-off for a six.Live Score; SL: 91/2
- 16:14 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: REPRIEVE FOR NISSANKA!UNBELIEVABLE! Bumrah thought that he had Nissanka. However, he has overstepped. Nissanka was completely fooled by the slower one, which went on to rattle the middle stump. However, it's a no ball from Bumrah.Live Score; SL: 81/2
- 15:51 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: FOUR RUNS!Overpitched. The batter slightly moves away from the ball but he has nailed the drive, right off the middle of the bat. Through cover it goes for a four.Live Score; SL: 67/2
- 15:44 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: WICKET!Jadeja strikes. This time he is caught on the back foot on the defence and has been given. Karunaratne has to go. He reviewed it but the decision stays. Big wicket for India.Dimuth Karunaratne lbw b Jadeja 28 (71)Live Score; SL: 59/2
- 15:34 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: FOUR LB'sTried to attack the stumps but misses his line. Short of a length, a touch too straight, and he has glanced it using it his angle and his pace. Four runsLive Score; SL: 58/1
- 15:26 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: Two runs, 50-up for Sri LankaAshwin tosses a full delivery and Nissanka gets an inside edge. It goes past the wicketkeeper. Two runs.50-up for Sri Lanka after 18.5 overs.
- 15:16 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: OUT! RAVICHANDRAN ASHWIN GETS THE BREAKTHROUGH!A length delivery by Ashwin, around off. Thiramanne gets beaten on the inside edge and the impact was in front of off and the ball would have hit the middle. Sri Lanka also lose their review.L Thirimanne lbw b R Ashwin 17 (60)In walks, P Nissanka.
- 15:07 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: FOUR | Sri Lanka: 46/0Ashwin tosses it up and Karunaratne drives it through extra cover for a four!After 17 overs, Sri Lanka: 46/0
- 15:00 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: No run | Sri Lanka: 39/0A length delivery by Yadav, and Karunaratne is caught at the crease and manages to bring his bat down to keep it away.After 14 overs, Sri Lanka: 39/0
- 14:58 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: No ball, four runs!A full delivery by Yadav and Karunaratne directs it between the non-striker and mid-on for a four. Also, Yadav overstepped and its a no-ball too.
- 14:57 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: FOUR!Karunaratne attacks this delivery by Yadav and smacks it over the bowler's head. There is no elevation and its a four!
- 14:49 (IST)IND vs SL, 1st Test, Day 2, Live Updates: No run | Sri Lanka: 24/0A flighted delivery by Ashwin, outside off. Thirimanne tries to drive it but mistimes his shot to Ashwin.After 11 overs, Sri Lanka: 24/0
- 14:17 (IST)FOUR RUNS! FINE SHOT!Shami bowls it fuller around off, Thirimanne leans into the drive and sends it between the bowler and mid-off. Excellent timing on the shot. No chance for the fielder.Live Score; SL: 12/0
- 13:55 (IST)INDIA DECLARE! EARLY TEA TAKEN!India captain Rohit Sharma has declared mid-over. Jadeja finishes unbeaten on 175. India end up with 574 for 8. Sri Lanka have 15 minutes to bat before tea. Oh hang on, they have taken tea.Live Score; IND: 574/8 (R Jadeja: 175*, M Shami 20*)
- 13:22 (IST)FOUR RUNS! PULLED NICELY!Jadeja pummels this nicely. A slower ball, swings across the line. He goes over midwicket for a boundary. Easy pickings.Live Score; IND: 539/8
- 13:08 (IST)SIX RUNS! 150 UP FOR JADEJA!Dhananjaya fired it in around off stump, Jadeja cleared his front leg and managed to get under it to launch it over the long-off boundary. 150 up for Jadeja. 50-run partnership but Shami is yet to open his accountLive Score; IND: 525/8
- 12:52 (IST)FOU RUNS! 500 UP FOR INDIA!Length ball down the leg side. Jadeja goes down on one knee and sweeps it hard and fine. The deep-backward square leg tries to flick it inside but fails. 500 up for India.Live Score; IND: 503/9
- 12:52 (IST)SIX RUNS! WHAT SHOT!Shimmies down the track, gets to the pitch of the ball and launches it over the bowler's head. His first six of the innings. India one short of 500.Live Score; IND: 499/8
- 12:42 (IST)ANOTHER ONE! EVEN BETTER!That was all about timing. Too full and too straight and Jadeja just presents the full face of the bat. Such was the timing, the long-on fielder didn't even bother trying to cut it offLive Score; IND: 490/8
- 12:41 (IST)FOUR RUNS! EASY PICKINGS!That's easy pickings for India and Jadeja. Short of length outside off, Jadeja delays the cut and opens the face of the bat to run it past gully.Live Score; IND: 486/8
- 12:31 (IST)FOUR RUNS! LUCKY RUNS!Pitched in and around the waist length. Jadeja tries to pull this over deep midwicket. Instead, he finds and inside edge and the ball races down the fine-leg boundary for a four.Live Score; IND: 476/8
- 12:26 (IST)EDGED AND GONE!Fuller and wider this time. Jayant follows the angle and hangs his bat out. Gets a healthy outside edge and Thirimanne takes a neat, low catch at first slip.Jayant Yadav c Thirimanne b Fernando 2 (18)Live Score; IND: 471/8
- 11:42 (IST)THAT'S LUNCH ON DAY 2!A dominant session for India so far. Ravindra Jadeja reached his century just after R Ashwin departed. But it's been a brilliant team performance so far. India continue to pile the runs as Sri Lanka struggle.Live Score; IND: 468/7
- 11:31 (IST)100 UP FOR JADEJA!What an innings this has been from Jadeja. He reaches his second Test ton with a single. Flat, on a length, gives him width, Jadeja opens the face, takes the single. He brings out his trademark sword celebration.Live Score; IND: 463/7
- 11:27 (IST)OUT! EDGED AND GONE!A sharper one. Ashwin still tries to pull it but this one gets high enough, head high, to take the top edge through to Dickwella.Ashwin c Dickwella b Lakmal 61 (82)Live Score; IND: 462/7
- 11:23 (IST)Pitched short, slightly below the shoulder height. Ashwin pulls this in front of square, through midwicket for fourLive Score; IND: 462/6
- 11:19 (IST)FOUR RUNS! WHAT A DRIVE!What a shot from Jadeja. Easy pickings. Half-volley with some width, and he push-drives it with an open face between mid-off and cover. Jadeja moves to 97.Live Score; IND: 456/6
- 11:05 (IST)Ravichandran Ashwin Scores FiftyRavichandran Ashwin gets to his fifty. What a superb innings this has been from the all-rounder, his 12th in Test cricket.
- 10:48 (IST)Jadeja Gets Treatment On Right WristSome problems with Jadeja it seems. The physio is out there treating him on the right wrist. He is ready to bat now. Perhaps a little cramp there.
- 10:38 (IST)Jadeja, Ashwin Continue Good WorkIndia have already scored 58 runs in just 15 overs in the morning session of Day 2, scoring at almost 4 runs per over. The injury to Lahiru Kumara is really hurting Sri Lanka. Their bowling attack appear toothless at the moment.
- 10:28 (IST)400 Up for IndiaRavindra Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin have taken India past 400. This is looking for and more ominous for Sri Lanka now. Both Ashwin and Jadeja seem to be in no discomfort at all.
- 10:21 (IST)IND vs SL Live Score: Jadeja And Ashwin SolidRavindra Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin's positive fifty-run partnership have given India a fantastic start on Day 2 of the India vs Sri Lanka 1st Test in Mohali. Jadeja reached his fifty early on and since then has looked very solid. Ashwin, at the other end, has been solid as ever. India's healthy scoring rate has continued on Day 2.