India vs South Africa 2nd Test, Day 2 Highlights: Virat Kohli Double Ton, Umesh Yadav Double Strike Put India On Top
IND vs SA 2nd Test Day 2 Highlights: Umesh Yadav and Mohammed Shami rattled South Africa with three quick wickets.
Umesh Yadav's double strike put India on top in the second Test as South Africa finished the second day at 36 for three in Pune on Friday. India declared their first innings at 601 for five with Virat Kohli unbeaten on 254. South Africa got off to a horrendous start as they lost three wickets for 36 runs. Mohammed Shami also chipped in with a wicket late in the day. Earlier, India skipper Virat Kohli struck a double century and surpassed batting great Don Bradman's Test tally of 6,996 runs in the second Test against South Africa on Friday. Kohli completed his seventh 200 in his 81st Test. He swept Senuran Muthusamy for two runs to reach the landmark and raised his bat with a smile to an ovation from the crowd in Pune. Kohli has now scored more than 7,000 Test runs at an average of over 53 since making his debut in the West Indies in 2011. The benchmark puts him in the top 50 Test run-getters, a field led by Indian icon Sachin Tendulkar with 15,921 runs in 200 matches. Tendulkar retired in 2013 with 100 international centuries across formats. Kohli has the most double hundreds among Indian batsmen, while Bradman leads the international list with 12 to his name. Playing his 50th Test as captain, Kohli has overtaken many big names in Test cricket. (SCORECARD)
Highlights Between India vs South Africa 2nd Test Match Day 2, Straight from Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune
- 17:05 (IST)Thanks for joining us!Thank you for tuning in, India are in a commanding position after Virat Kohli displayed a batting masterclass in Pune and later in the day, Umesh Yadav's double strike pushed South Africa on the backfoot. We will be back tomorrow with all the live updates from Day 3. Do join us tomorrow.
- 17:02 (IST)That's stumps on Day 2!That is the end of day's play in Pune. South Africa trail India by 565 runs at stumps on Day 2. India are looking set to extend their lead at the top of ICC World Test Championship with another win.
- 16:50 (IST)Dropped!Mayank Agarwal dropped a tough chance in the slips as Anrich Nortje survives.
- 16:46 (IST)Back-to-back maidens!Back-to-back maiden overs for Ravindra Jadeja as he keeps one end tight.
- 16:44 (IST)Anrich Nortje survives!Mohammed Shami bowled a ripper as India went up for a shout for caught behind. Umpire gave him out but South Africa opted for a review and the replays confirm that it came off the arm. Nightwatchman Anrich Nortje survives.
- 16:37 (IST)Wicket!Virat Kohli's decision to go for a review works as the replay showed that the ball took the outside edge of Temba Bavuma's bat. Mohammed Shami strikes in his first over.
- 16:33 (IST)Ravindra Jadeja is into the attack!Ravindra Jadeja replaces Ishant Sharma as Virat Kohli makes a bowling change after eight overs.
- 16:27 (IST)De Bruyn hits that straight down the ground!Theunis de Bruyn hits that one straight back past Ishant Sharma to pick up his fourth boundary.
- 16:22 (IST)Back-to-back boundaries!Back-to-back boundaries for Theunis de Bruyn as he hits Umesh Yadav to both sides of the ground.
- 16:20 (IST)Temba Bavuma survives!Temba Bavuma survives a scare as the replays confirm that the ball hit the ground after hitting his bat. India went up for a caught behind appeal but Bavuma survives.
- 16:11 (IST)Yadav cleans up Elgar!Umesh Yadav cleans up Dean Elgar as he tried to leave the ball but it got big on him and deflected off his his pads onto the stumps.
- 16:08 (IST)Four!Short and wide from Umesh Yadav and Theunis de Bruyn cuts it past the point fiedler for a boundary.
- 16:07 (IST)Elgar flicks it for four!Dean Elgar flicked that one off his pads off Ishant Sharma's bowling to get his first boundary.
- 16:03 (IST)Theunis de Bruyn gets off the mark!Theunis de Bruyn hits one to mid-on to get off the mark with a couple of runs.
- 16:01 (IST)Theunis de Bruyn is in next!Theunis de Bruyn replaces Aiden Markram at the crease as South Africa lose their first wicket cheaply.
- 15:57 (IST)Wicket!Umesh Yadav traps Aiden Markram right in front of the stumps as he departs for a duck. South Africa are two for one.
- 15:56 (IST)Umesh Yadav to share the attack!Umesh Yadav will start from the other end to share the new ball with Ishant Sharma.
- 15:54 (IST)Dean Elgar is off the mark!Ishant Sharma induces an outside edge of Dean Elgar's bat but the ball went in the gap as Elgar picked up a couple to get his innings going.
- 15:51 (IST)The players are out on the field!Aiden Markram and Dean Elgar are out in the middle Ishant Sharma to start the proceedings with the ball for India.
- 15:50 (IST)Indian players impressed former England captain!Michael Vaughan reckons Virat Kohli, Ravindra Jadeja and Jasprit Bumrah are three players that are first pick across all formats.
Some player @imjadeja ... !! Virat,Jasprit & then Rock star in that order the 3 first picks in any format ... !! #JustSaying #INDvsSA— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) October 11, 2019
- 15:42 (IST)India declare their innings!India declare their innings at 601 for five as Ravindra Jadeja perishes in pursuit of a big hit to get to his second Test century. South Africa will have to bat about 17 overs today.
- 15:38 (IST)Drinks break!India's score is now 600 and Virat Kohli might declare the innings after Ravindra Jadeja's hundred as the left-hander is just nine runs away from his second Test century.
- 15:34 (IST)Virat Kohli goes past 250!Virat Kohli scores a boundary as he moves onto 252. This is Kohli's highest individual score in first-class cricket.
- 15:30 (IST)Four!Virat Kohli moves to 246 with that pull shot off Senuran Muthusamy.
- 15:25 (IST)Four!Ravindra Jadeja smashes one straight down the ground to take his score to 86. He is eyeing his second Test century.
- 15:23 (IST)200 partnership between Kohli and Jadeja!Virat Kohli flicks it fine for three as he brings up the 200-run partnership with Ravindra Jadeja.
- 15:11 (IST)SIX!Ravindra Jadeja is eyeing a hundred in Pune. He moves onto 76 with that six straight over the bowler's head.
- 15:08 (IST)Raining boundaries!Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja have pressed the accelerator as the duo is hitting boundaries at will now.
- 15:07 (IST)SIX!Virat Kohli goes big down the ground to collect second six off Keshav Maharaj's over.
- 15:06 (IST)SIX!Ravindra Jadeja comes down the track and sends the ball straight into the stands over long-on.
- 15:05 (IST)Kohli survives!Faf du Plessis misjudges the trajectory of the ball as he went to his right and the ball goes between him and Quinton de Kock. Virat Kohli survives.
- 15:03 (IST)150 partnership between Kohli and Jadeja!Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja have put on 150 runs for the fifth wicket.
- 15:01 (IST)Four!Ravindra Jadeja celebrates his 12th Test fifty with a straight hit over Senuran Muthusamy's head.
- 14:56 (IST)Back-to-back boundaries!Another dragged down delivery from Aiden Markram and Ravindra Jadeja dispatched it for another boundary.
- 14:56 (IST)Four!Aiden Markram comes onto bowl and he serves a half-tracker first up, Ravindra Jadeja pulls it for a four.
- 14:55 (IST)India's score is now past 500!Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja are looking to score quickly as India's total goes past 500.
- 14:50 (IST)Virat Kohli survives!Virat Kohli is riding his luck, the South African team finally managed to hang onto one catch but the replays confirm that Senuran Muthusamy has overstepped on that occasion. Kohli survived.
- 14:41 (IST)Virat Kohli reaches a double hundred!Virat Kohli has brought up his seventh double century in Test cricket. This has been a batting masterclass from the Indian captain.
What a player!@imVkohli brings up his 7th Double Hundred #INDvSA pic.twitter.com/vDgOIRhNOW— BCCI (@BCCI) October 11, 2019
- 14:39 (IST)Milestone for Virat Kohli!Virat Kohli goes past Don Bradman's tally of 6,996 runs in Test cricket. Bradman scored these runs in 52 Tests while Virat Kohli has taken 81 games to surpass the legendary batsman.
- 14:35 (IST)100 run partnership between Kohli and Jadeja!Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja have put on 100 runs for the fifth wicket as India's score is now close to 500.