Brendan Rodgers Rules Out Liverpool Bid for Mario Balotelli

Updated: 04 August 2014 21:41 IST

Brendan Rodgers spoke about Mario Balotelli in glowing terms when he was asked about him, but the Northern Irishman said that his admiration would not translate into a former offer for the 23-year-old.

Brendan Rodgers Rules Out Liverpool Bid for Mario Balotelli
Italys Mario Balotelli reacts during a friendly match against Luxembourg. © AFP

London:

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has rejected speculation linking him with a bid for AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli.

Rodgers spoke about the Italy international in glowing terms when he was asked about him last week, but the Northern Irishman said that his admiration would not translate into a former offer for the 23-year-old.

"I can categorically tell you Mario Balotelli will not be at Liverpool," Rodgers told a press conference in Miami on Sunday, in comments that were widely published in the British media.

"In my last press conference I was asked a question about Mario Balotelli and I talked about what a talent he was and what an excellent player he was.

"And the next day it was wrote (sic) as if we were signing him. I just gave my perception of him as a player. It shouldn't be transmitted into us signing the player."

Liverpool lost star striker Luis Suarez to Barcelona last month, but Rodgers had previously brought in England international Rickie Lambert from Southampton.

Teenage Belgium striker Divock Origi has also joined the club from Lille, but he was immediately loaned back to the French side.

Topics : Mario Balotelli Liverpool Football
Related Articles
Mario Balotelli Says Joining Liverpool Was His 'Worst Decision'
Mario Balotelli Says Joining Liverpool Was His 'Worst Decision'
Mario Balotelli Poised to Return From Groin Injury
Mario Balotelli Poised to Return From Groin Injury
Mario Balotelli Undergoes Surgery, Out for One Month
Mario Balotelli Undergoes Surgery, Out for One Month
Show Comments
Advertisement