David Beckham is homing in on a deal to bring a Major League Soccer club to Miami, local media reported on Sunday. The former England star midfielder had exercised his option to buy an MLS club and wants to bring it to Miami, with the plan contingent on a deal for a privately funded stadium, The Miami Herald reported.
Beckham, his investment group and MLS commissioner Don Garber will be in Miami on Tuesday and Wednesday seeking support for the venture, the Herald and the local CBS television affiliate reported. (Also read: Keep calm and play kids' game is Beckham's mantra)
"I think they're going to announce either Tuesday night or Wednesday that Major League Soccer has selected Miami for a franchise," Miami-Dade County Commissioner Xavier Suarez told CBS Miami.
Garber said in mid-January that an announcement on a possible MLS expansion team owned by Beckham could come in February. Such a deal had been stalled as talks with city officials about the building of a new stadium continued.
Beckham was given the opportunity to purchase an expansion team at a discount, reportedly $25 million, as part of the 2007 deal that lured him to play for the MLS Los Angeles Galaxy. He has focused on the Miami market along with several backers, including Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure and British businessman Simon Fuller.
Exactly when a Miami team might begin play was unclear. Expansion teams in New York and Orlando are set to be launched next year.