Manchester City suspended Argentinian star Carlos Tevez on Wednesday as they began an investigation into whether he refused to come on as a substitute in the Champions League tie with Bayern Munich.
He denied that he had refused to come on when told to do so by manager Roberto Mancini, who had said after the match - which they lost 2-0 - he was "finished" at the club.
However, the club have decided that it is best he stays away completely while they carry out their investigation.
"Manchester City can confirm that striker Carlos Tevez has been suspended until further notice for a maximum period of two weeks," read the statement.
"The player's suspension is pending a full review into his alleged conduct during Tuesday evening's 2-0 defeat to Bayern Munich.
"The player will not be considered for selection or take part in training whilst the review is under way."
Tevez had denied Mancini's claims in a statement earlier on Wednesday.
"In Munich on Tuesday I had warmed up and was ready to play. This is not the right time to get into specific details as to why this did not happen. But I wish to state that I never refused to play," Tevez said.
He blamed his failure to appear on "confusion" on the City bench and apologised to the club's fans for "any misunderstanding."
"I would like to apologise to all Manchester City fans, with whom I have always had a strong relationship, for any misunderstanding that occurred in Munich," Tevez said.
"They understand that when I am on the pitch I have always given my best for the club ... there was some confusion on the bench and I believe my position may have been misunderstood."
Mancini has indicated Tevez -- reportedly one of the highest earners in English football with weekly wages of more than £200,000 -- will never play for the club again in the aftermath of Tuesday's defeat.
"If I have my way he will be out. He's finished with me," Mancini said.
"He refused to come on the pitch. What I said to Carlos is between me, him and the team but I am really disappointed because it is Carlos.
"Can you imagine a Bayern Munich, Milan or Man United player doing this?" he said. "He refused to warm up and again refused to go on the pitch.
Mancini later added he would be speaking with Manchester City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak in the next few days to decide what to do with Tevez.
"In the next days, we will speak with Khaldoon," said Mancini. "It is normal. He is the chairman. He decides everything."
Ex-players and media commentators backed Mancini on Wednesday, with former Liverpool star Graeme Souness describing Tevez as a "disgrace to football."
"He (Tevez) is one bad apple," Souness told Sky Sports. "He's a disgrace to football. He epitomises what most people think is wrong with modern football.
Former City manager Mark Hughes, who signed Tevez before being replaced by Mancini in 2009, said the player's personal situation was behind his apparent unhappiness in Manchester.
Tevez has repeatedly signalled his desire to leave, citing a desire to be closer to his family in South America.
"The problem with Carlos is he missed his family," Hughes said.
"That's why he said if it was possible he wanted to leave the club, he had this situation with his family.