"To Have That...": David Warner's Wife Candice Breaks Silence After Mitchell Johnson Blasts Australia Star
Mitchell Johnson, writing for The West Australian, said that Warner's current form and his involvement in the ball-tampering scandal, also known as the 'Sandpaper Gate' do not justify him getting a "hero's send-off"
- NDTV Sports Desk
- Updated: December 05, 2023 05:15 PM IST
Australian cricket is currently seeing a major controversy. It all happened when former pace bowler Mitchell Johnson, writing for The West Australian, said that Warner's current form and his involvement in the ball-tampering scandal, also known as the 'Sandpaper Gate' do not justify him getting a "hero's send-off". "As we prepare for David Warner's farewell series, can somebody please tell me why? Why does a struggling Test opener get to nominate his own retirement date? And why does a player at the centre of one of the biggest scandals in Australian cricket history warrant a hero's send-off?" Johnson wrote.
That statement drew varied reaction. Now, David Warner's wife Candice has spoked on the issue. Speaking at the launch of this year's IronMan and IronWoman series, Candice was was quoted by WWOS as saying: "We're doing well. David's home. He's been away for three months so to have him home now and be together as a family in the lead-up to Christmas is always special."
Candice added that she was happy that Warner got the support of former and current teammates after Johnson's remarks.
"It's really lovely for David to have that support but he's a good human being and at the end of the day that's all that matters," she said.
David Warner's manager, James Erskine, hit back at former Australia pacer Mitchell Johnson, who questioned why the left-handed batter is getting a Test farewell despite his struggles in red-ball cricket and accused him of not owning up to his role in the ball-tampering scandal. Warner stated his intentions to retire from the Test format earlier this year, stating that he would be keen to bring his career in red-ball format to an end at his home ground, the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG).
Erskine hit back at Johnson, stating that his questioning Warner's selection isn't logical and saying, as quoted from The Sydney Morning Herald, "Let me tell you, anyone can get a headline. The fact is [Warner's selection] is just logical. The three [replacement] candidates will be [Matthew] Renshaw, [Cameron] Bancroft - who has played pretty well in the Sheffield Shield - and [Marcus] Harris. Now they've all had spells opening the batting for Australia."
He further went on to point out that the trio of Marcus Harris, Cameron Bancroft and Matthew Renshaw had managed to claim just one century between them in 38 Test outings and their combined average was somewhere in the mid-20s.
Hew backed Warner's performance, stating that he scored a half-century during his last Test innings in the Ashes and was the leading run-scorer for the Baggy Greens in the ODI World Cup, Erskine.