Pakistan's chief selector resigned on Thursday after his team's defeat against England in limited-overs series, less than six months into the job.
Pakistan whitewashed the Tests 3-0 in the United Arab Emirates but then went down 4-0 in the one-day series and 2-1 in the Twenty20 internationals, prompting calls for captain Misbah-ul Haq's removal and a management shake-up.
Cricket board chairman Zaka Ashraf was due to announce a new selection panel later Thursday likely to be led by former spinner and ex-chairman of the selection committee Iqbal Qasim.
Mohammad Ilyas, who only took over as chief selector in October but who had been on the committee since 2008, said it was time to go.
"As selector I did my best and our team did well at all levels, but now I think it's time to move on and allow new faces to come and serve," Ilyas, a former Test batsman, told AFP from Lahore.
Ilyas reportedly had reservations over the controversial selection of all-rounder Shoaib Malik, who had not been in the original limited-overs squad to play England.
Malik was only included as an extra member on Misbah's insistence.
Ilyas was also criticised over the selection of his son-in-law Imran Farhat, who despite performing well domestically failed to do well at international level.
His expected successor Qasim resigned as chief selector following Pakistan's winless tour of Australia in 2010.