ICC should take appropriate action against guilty: Sachin

Updated: 03 September 2010 10:15 IST

Sachin Tendulkar said on Friday that the ICC should take appropriate action if the accused Pakistan players are found guilty of 'spot-fixing'.

ICC should take appropriate action against guilty: Sachin

New Delhi:

Disappointed at the 'spot-fixing' scandal that has plunged the game into a crisis, senior Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar on Friday said the International Cricket Council should thoroughly investigate the matter and take action against accused players if they are found guilty.

Tendulkar said if the scam, which has come to light after an "expose" by British tabloid 'News of the World', turn out to be true it will bring "disrepute to the game".

"ICC should make a thorough probe in whatever had happened in England and take appropriate action if the players are found guilty. If the allegations are true, they will certainly bring disrepute to the game," Tendulkar said.

"I am no expert and not the one to comment while sitting here in India on something which happened in England. But certainly it has disappointed me," he said when asked his view on the latest crisis to have rocked the game.

The scandal broke out after the British tabloid's sting operation on a bookie, who allegedly paid 150,000 pounds to Pakistani trio of Test skipper Salman Butt and pacers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir for bowling deliberate no balls at predetermined times during last week's Lord's Test against England.

Asked if he had heard of any Indian player being approached by bookmakers, Tendulkar said, "No, in my 21 years of international cricket, I have never heard of any Indian player being approached by bookies".

Tendulkar was speaking at a media interaction at the sidelines of a photo exhibition to celebrate his 21 years in international cricket - The Sachin Tendulkar Journey - under the aegis of Royal Bank of Scotland.

According to the organisers, the 21 photographs exhibited to mark the Tendulkar's glorious years is international career was chosen by the champion batsman himself.

"It was very difficult to choose them because there were many memorable moments in my career. It came down to around 30 and then I had to pick 21," he said.

Reflecting on his more than two-decade long career, Tendulkar said the game has changed a lot especially with the advent of Twenty20 cricket.

"Players have become more aggressive in their cricket though not in their on-field behaviour against their opponents. With the advent of Twenty20 players are innovating themselves with lots of innovative shots. It has made the game more exciting," he said.

Tendulkar admitted that because of their aggression at times cricketers indulge in arguments with each other on the field but he his approach was to control himself.

"I am for control aggression, maybe just look at the eye of the bowler or something like that. There is no use that you try to respond and lose your control," he reasoned.

Walking down the memory lane, Tendulkar said he would not forget the first press conference of his career after he earned his first man of the match award in the second Test of the England tour in 1990.

"It was at Old Trafford. I was very awkward and I did not know what to do as that was my first press conference. I asked my team-mates what kind of questions I might face and how should I answer them. The coach then was Bishen Singh Bedi and he told me don't get nervous, be confident and do whatever you want," Tendulkar said.

"I have been a shy guy and most of the time I prefer to look down when I speak to somebody. I would not look up at the eye of the other person. But I think I have changed though not much. I have now a sort of comfort level," he confessed.

"When I was young there were problems initially as people think I am snobbish as I don't speak out much. They think I am not interested in the things happening around," he added.

Tendulkar said his first tour of Australia in 1991-92, where he scored two Test centuries, has been one of the most satisfying phases of his career.

"There were phases in my career in which I felt I was doing really well. The first tour of Australia in 1991-92 was one such phase. Then I though I was satisfied with my performance in from 1994-96. I had done well in 2003 also, the World Cup that year was memorable. The last three years also I think I have done well," he said.

Tendulkar said it was easy to lose head when a cricketer achieves success at a young age but he had been guided well by his family and has never been complacent in his career.

"It is easy to lose your head. You have been dreaming to get something for a long time and you get it. Naturally, it will have some effect on you.

"But I think I have never been complacent. There was time when I was 16-year-old I could have been affected but from my childhood I have been told by my parents not to take anything for granted. So my approach has been if I score a 100 then forget it and think of scoring 150 in the next match," he said.

Asked about the Indian Premier League parties, which were criticised by some people, he said it was individual cricketer's decision to decide whether or not take part in them.

"There were parties during the IPL though I did not attend any one of them. It depends on individual cricketer. If he feels he can take part in the parties and still play his best cricket next day, it's all right.

"The responsibility of any cricketer is to play his best whenever he walks out at a cricket field. If he thinks he can take that responsibility and also play his best it is his decision," Tendulkar said.

Topics : Cricket
Related Articles
Wankhede Pitch Pretty Similar to 2012 Track, Says R Ashwin
Wankhede Pitch Pretty Similar to 2012 Track, Says R Ashwin
Keaton Jennings Says Scoring Century on Debut is a Dream Come True
Keaton Jennings Says Scoring Century on Debut is a Dream Come True
Show Comments
Advertisement