ICC Clears Pakistan's Mohammad Hafeez To Bowl With Remodelled Action

Updated: 02 May 2018 15:19 IST

Mohammad Hafeez was reported for a suspect action for the third time during a One-day International with Sri Lanka in October last year.

ICC Clears Pakistan
Hafeez was first suspended from bowling in December 2014 © AFP

Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez was on Wednesday cleared by the International Cricket Council (ICC) to return to bowling at international level after remodelling his action. The 37-year-old was reported for a suspect bowling action during a One-day International against Sri Lanka in Abu Dhabi last October, with an assessment finding it illegal for the third time in his career. He underwent remodelling of his action and had a re-assessment of his bowling action last month. "The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced that following remedial work and re-assessment, the bowling action of Pakistan's Hafeez has been found to be legal, and the off-spinner can now resume bowling in international cricket," said an ICC statement.

On April 17, Hafeez underwent a re-assessment of his bowling action at Loughborough University, England where it was revealed that the amount of elbow extension in his bowling action was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted.

Officials are still at liberty to report Hafeez in the future if they believe he is displaying a suspect action and not reproducing the legal action from the reassessment, the ICC added.

Hafeez was first suspended from bowling in December 2014 after being reported during a Test series in the United Arab Emirates.

Following remedial work on his bowling action, he was re-assessed and permitted to resume bowling in April 2015. He was then suspended from bowling in July 2015 for 12 months. Hafeez was able to resume bowling again in November 2016 before he was reported for the third time.

Hafeez is not part of Pakistan's Test squad currently touring Ireland and England.

Pakistan head coach Mickey Arthur last month said Hafeez needed to clear his action.

"The doors are not closed for Hafeez at all. If Hafeez is bowling, he becomes a very good option for us. If he doesn't bowl, it becomes a problem," Arthur said.

Hafeez was also dropped from Pakistan's Twenty20 series in New Zealand in January and a home series against the West Indies last month.

(With AFP inputs)

Comments
Topics : Mohammad Hafeez Pakistan Cricket Team International Cricket Council Cricket
Highlights
  • Mohammad Hafeez was on cleared by the ICC to bowl
  • The 37-year-old was reported for a suspect bowling action last October
  • Hafeez was first suspended from bowling in December 2014
Related Articles
Mohammad Hafeez Considers Retirement In Protest Against PCB
Mohammad Hafeez Considers Retirement In Protest Against PCB
Cricket Teammates, Rivals Congratulate Imran Khan On Victory
Cricket Teammates, Rivals Congratulate Imran Khan On Victory
Mohammad Hafeez Issued Show Cause Notice By Pakistan Cricket Board
Mohammad Hafeez Issued Show Cause Notice By Pakistan Cricket Board
ICC Clears Pakistan
ICC Clears Pakistan's Mohammad Hafeez To Bowl With Remodelled Action
PSL 2018: Wahab Riaz Trolled For Sporting A Mitchell Johnson Look
PSL 2018: Wahab Riaz Trolled For Sporting A Mitchell Johnson Look
Advertisement