Banned Asif vows to clear his name

Updated: 23 February 2011 16:01 IST

Disgraced Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Asif on Wednesday vowed to clear his name in an attempt to revive his career after being banned for seven years on charges of corruption.

Karachi:

Disgraced Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Asif on Wednesday vowed to clear his name in an attempt to revive his career after being banned for seven years on charges of corruption.

The 28-year-old paceman, along with former Test captain Salman Butt and fellow new-ball partner Mohammad Amir, received lengthy bans on charges of corruption relating to last year's Lord's Test against England.

Butt was banned for ten years and Amir for five years. Asif's ban includes a two-year suspended ban, meaning if he does not commit another breach of the International Cricket Council code his ban will end after five years.

Speaking to Pakpassion.net, Asif said he was determined to come back after clearing his name.

"I'm bitterly disappointed with the verdict that was announced in Doha. I am determined to totally clear my name and to get back to what I love doing and that is playing cricket for my country," said Asif.

The banned trio also face criminal prosecution in Britain. They are due to appear in a London court on March 17.

Asif said he was missing international cricket, especially the ongoing World Cup in the sub-continent.

"It's tough watching the boys on television and not being part of the team", he added.

"I find it really painful to watch and it really hurts that I'm not there at the World Cup with my team-mates, playing for Pakistan. It's every cricketer's dream to take part in tournaments such as the World Cup and I am no different".

"It would have been an absolute honour to wear the green of Pakistan and help the boys bring the trophy home," he said.

Asif refused to elaborate on the corruption charges.

"When the time is right, I will be prepared to speak to anybody regarding the spot-fixing accusations. I have nothing to hide regarding the matter and I would welcome the opportunity to talk about the accusations in full detail."

The three players had hinted at appealing against the bans in the Court of Arbitration for Sport based in Switzerland. They have until February 26 to appeal.

Topics : Cricket Mohammad Asif Mohammad Amir
Related Articles
BCCI Picks Sunil Subramaniam As Administrative Manager Of Team India
BCCI Picks Sunil Subramaniam As Administrative Manager Of Team India
Mohammad Kaif Posts Picture On Facebook Of Playing Chess With Son, Gets Trolled
Mohammad Kaif Posts Picture On Facebook Of Playing Chess With Son, Gets Trolled
India v Sri Lanka, 1st Test: Virat Kohli, Abhinav Mukund Continue India's Dominance On Day 3
India v Sri Lanka, 1st Test: Virat Kohli, Abhinav Mukund Continue India's Dominance On Day 3
Show Comments
Advertisement